Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not see a thread here regarding the Gainesville-Ocala area. However, Gainesville is making huge strides currently.

Innovation Square is taking shape which is a private-public partnership techonology/business incubator. UF is 4th in the country in turning patents into small businesses due to the high quality medical, engineering, and business programs (all ranked top 15 among public universities). They have one building already build and are creating the grid for a new residences and office space.

This area would connect much of DT Gainesville and UF creating a continuous walking environment from UF campus to DT (which is absolutely booming at this time with restaurants, bars, and entertainment).

innovationsquare.ufl.edu

Savion Park Apartments: Under Construction

Infusion Technology Center: Under Construction

http://infusionatinnovationsquare.com/images/infusion-render.jpg

Florida Innovation Hub: Completed

UF Health Cancer Hospital Expansion: Under Construction/Majority Completed

UF Health Children's Hospital Expansion

Depot Park (New Urban Park): Under Construction (Completion 2015)

Heavener Undergraduate School of Business - Under Construction - Complete 2014

YMCA of Marion County - Under Construction - Complete in 2015

Dr. Cade Museum (In Depot Park): Planned - Projected Construction in 2015

Butler Plaza Town Center - Approved - Construction 2015

University Corners: Approved (City and Developers continuing long saga of negotiations for tax breaks)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, is there a light at the end of the tunnel on University Corners ? That intersection is a total embarrassment.
There is an agreement right now between a new developer from So. Fla and the city. However, the developer is pushing for more incentives right now from the city. The City Commission did approve a zoning change a couple months ago to allow more density (10 stories) for the development over the whole acreage. Hopefully a deal will be done by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
There is an agreement right now between a new developer from So. Fla and the city. However, the developer is pushing for more incentives right now from the city. The City Commission did approve a zoning change a couple months ago to allow more density (10 stories) for the development over the whole acreage. Hopefully a deal will be done by the end of the summer.
Sounds promising!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I often wonder about the potential growth between the two cities had they been located about half the distance from one another, say 20-25 miles?
There are a lot of "what ifs" to be played with how Florida developed. That is for sure. I think one day you will see more growing together, especially on the Marion County side. Alachua/Gainesville are all about TOD and less sprawl after years of encouraging sprawl.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Quite a bit happening in Gainesville. It seems the years of planning are starting to pay off with these mixed-use, transit-oriented developments. Interesting how one could probably do better without a car in Gainesville than in bigger cities in the state. I can see Gainesville developing an Austin, TX like atmosphere, minus the skyline. If only the east side could get even a slither of what's happening on the west side.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quite a bit happening in Gainesville. It seems the years of planning are starting to pay off with these mixed-use, transit-oriented developments. Interesting how one could probably do better without a car in Gainesville than in bigger cities in the state. I can see Gainesville developing an Austin, TX like atmosphere, minus the skyline. If only the east side could get even a slither of what's happening on the west side.
RTS in Gainesville has a higher daily ridership than Duval, Palm Beach, Hillsborough, and Pinellas systems. I think Gainesville already has that unique feel in the state of Florida.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GTEC and Kennedy Homes

If only the east side could get even a slither of what's happening on the west side.

The expansion of the Gainesville Technology Enterprise Center (GTEC) should have a big impact on east Gainesville. GTEC was the first tech incubator in Alachua county when it opened in 2000 and it helped pave the way for a lot of the tech development we're seeing in Innovation Square. This expansion is planned to coincide with the redevelopment of the former Kennedy Homes site just s few blocks away and should help expand the tech economy and investment to the east side of town.

GTEC project Page

Kennedy Homes project page

·
10,618 Posts
Gainesville:

Infusion at Innovation Square - 9 stories, 150,000 square feet office, 13,000 square feet retail, Approved

Next and Level - 6 stories, 169 apartments, U/C

Lyn Court Square Phase 1 - 5 stories, U/C

Lyons Corner Phase 2 - 3 stories, 4 townhome units, approved

Cypress Hall - 5 stories, 255 beds (UF dormitory), U/C

·
10,618 Posts
Decided to to do a little walk around Gainesville and take some pictures or construction projects. First the projects that I listed in my last post:

Cypress Hall is well underway:

A couple of shots of Next & Level. Lyn Court is topped out in the back of the first pic.

Lyn Court nearly done:

Fun fact about Lyn Court: The project was supposed to be ready in time for fall semester. Students had signed leases and everything. Union Properties has had kids in hotel rooms for three weeks now. Ouch.

Heavner Hall nearly done as well:

Savion Park (mentioned in the first post) is done.

Here's some Innovation Square Pics. A nice pedestrian area bisects the area but only one of the parcels has been built so far.

And here's some projects that haven't been mentioned yet.

Infinity Hall is under construction:

This little three story apartment is nearly done a few blocks from campus:

There's not nearly as much action downtown although this sign was recently put up:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Infusion technology center

So I've been in Gainesville for 4 years and there has been ongoing talk about breaking ground on the ITC in "upcoming months", it was always just around the corner. Last I heard, they were starting August 2014, but I've heard nothing since. It seems that it may not happen, at least not in the foreseeable future. The project has even been removed from http://innovationsquare.ufl.edu/. Even so, I'm excited about all the other projects going on around town. Gainesville has been one big construction site over the last few months, and I love it.

BTW, I've been a Skyscrapercity silent observer for years, this has been my first post.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts