Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning application gone in to demolish 29, Pembroke Place ..isn't that Galkoffs a listed building .....I thought the School of Tropical Medicine had promised to preserve it ...obviously thought if they can demolish the Heaps Mill and the buildings on Duke Street why not its open season ?...so much for preserving our heritage...I fear for the Littlewoods Building as well starting to look really worse for wear....

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Google maps showing the book store next door to galikoffs as 35 Pembroke place so not sure 29 is gallikoffs? It may be that it's part of that block?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Planning application gone in to demolish 29, Pembroke Place ..isn't that Galkoffs a listed building .....I thought the School of Tropical Medicine had promised to preserve it ...obviously thought if they can demolish the Heaps Mill and the buildings on Duke Street why not its open season ?...so much for preserving our heritage...I fear for the Littlewoods Building as well starting to look really worse for wear....
Yes, Galkoff's is number 29 according to the 'official' site http://galkoffs.tripod.com/

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Just walked past gallikoffs and it appears that the "new" development next door is being physically tied to this building with new metal wall ties. Further up the row of shops the book shop is now encased in scaffolding with sounds of a mechanical breaker coming from within. Maybe its this that's coming down?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wonder how such a building with its significance to the heritage of the local Jewish population would fare in another city? Was it not the first 'official' kosher butchers? When you look at how well preserved some of the East End pie and mash shops are, then it makes you wonder why Galkoffs couldn't be saved if the area was intended to be redeveloped, especially with its proximity to the new Royal.

An ex student of mine opened a kosher cafe and book store/library in Hamburg and people came from miles around due to word of mouth. Maybe a similar scheme would have worked if there was enough interest.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
We now have 3 threads discussing Galkoff's: this one, the School of Tropical Medicine one, and the new Planning Applications one created last week. Can all this discussion be merged into one thread?

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,727 Posts
It forms part of the LSTM so it should be in there and all planning applications will be duplicates eventually. This thread was probably unnecessary in my opinion though, simply posting the story in the buildings at risk thread would have done, let this one drop into oblivion now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts