Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered Kibitzer
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on RockPaperShotgun today and I squeed...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/15/simulated-urban-area-cities-skylines-announced/

Do we finally have a true successor to Sim City 2013? I refuse to deal with Maxis/EA after the double barreled Sim City Societies/Sim City 2013 fiascos. I refuse to deal with Origin and it's DRM, so I'm very anxious to see how that works out.

No, actually, I was screaming SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

2015, folks...

·
Nobel Prize Laureate
858 Posts
That is really an interesting project. I hope this one lives up to our expectations.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
This game actually looks like it could be the true successor of Sim City 4.

The fact that Paradox Interactive are the publisher strenghtens that feeling. For anyone that aren't familiar with that company I can say that they are the complete opposite to EA Games. Paradox truly cares for their customers and they listen to ideas, suggestions and criticism. I have only positive experiences with their games previously.

The developers have said that they will encourage modding of their game and that they will try to provide the necessary tools to make it as easy as possible for modders to do anything they want.

Anyhow. There's already two trailers out on the game:

And one Developer diary:

Cities: Skylines - Dev Diary 1: Roads

They also made a stream where they showed some gameplay footage. Highlights are available on Youtube:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow! It comes out March 10th... I just pre-ordered on Steam.

I was just about to start downloading all of my old plugins for SC4 again tonight... but I think I will just wait the three and a half weeks for this game to come out.

·
7,824 Posts
Cities: Skylines became today #1 top seller game on Steam!

When I think that the "pros" of the video game industry were saying there's no market anymore for city builders. :eek:hno:

Reactions: mrsmartman

·
7,824 Posts
Here are videos showing a city of 150,000 inhabitants.

·
7,824 Posts
Here's another train video from the same city, posted by SIMoViEStAr on YouTube:

Reactions: mrsmartman

·
Merit Man
173 Posts
I pre-purchased last night and found out it won't be available to me until tomorrow (the 11th) due to steam issues with the upload for paradox. Very excited for this, looks so excellent with all the possibilities.

I must say, am feeling a bit sick, don't think I can make it into work tomorrow guys.

·
Registered Kibitzer
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent stuff Clerey,

Was curious as to how larger cities would function, I am even more curious to see how far it can be pushed.
Colossal Order says that they are going to allow a mod that will let you expand beyond the 9 tiles assigned to the full 25...but they won't guarantee if the game will work and they won't support it due to their opinion that it would cause stability issues.

So if you wanna go for it...at least they give you the opportunity to do so, unlike the recently deceased Maxis...

·
Registered Kibitzer
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pre-purchased last night and found out it won't be available to me until tomorrow (the 11th) due to steam issues with the upload for paradox. Very excited for this, looks so excellent with all the possibilities.

I must say, am feeling a bit sick, don't think I can make it into work tomorrow guys.
I hear you...if my money wasn't funny I'd be downloading this game as we speak...probably a good thing tho as it gives CO the chance to work out the initial bugs and get the game right.

·
Merit Man
173 Posts
Bought it, love it. There are some issues when you start getting to a larger city size, but this is easily fixed with smart road layouts and PT.

Recommend strongly, worth the $29.99 asking price. Hard to compare it with Simcity 2013 as this has actually got everything right. Mods will be important for this game for all the smal things, but it seems most assets are easily edited.

·
7,824 Posts
3 mods that anyone needs !

Ground Level Camera
This mod is the best I've found to experience your city at street level. Click TAB to toggle pedestrian view then :
- W to move forward
- S to move backward
- Hold SHIFT to accelerate
- use mouse to admire the view

Many similar mods have already been released but with this one you can walk on bridges. :)
DOWNLOAD : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406749417

Extended Road Upgrade
Very useful tool to invert the direction of your one way road or modify your road between 2-way and 1-way.

DOWNLOAD : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408209297

Traffic Report Tool
This tool allow to watch all the trips which your cims are currently undergoing. Click on the new top left button and a magnifying glass will appear:
- clicking on a car or a pedestrian will show his path.
- clicking on a road will show all current paths going through that point.
- clicking on a building will show all current paths coming from and going to it.

DOWNLOAD: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408209297

·
Merit Man
173 Posts
It's moved one a little bit more, but this is what I have been making with this excellent game.

Have modded a few taller buildings in, haven't found many, but can definitely see an ability to make some impressive skylines down the track.

EDIT- Took a more up to date photo:

·
Speed freak
1,076 Posts
Game is superb imho, this is my second go as my first go was a bit ugly imho:

Still all stock, no mods yet!
My only gripe is that the overall demand is to low for quick growth ( for all 3 groups) and that industry creates a tad to much traffic, while residential and commercial areas don't create that much imho.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts