SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
17,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I noticed in alot of skyscrapers especially The Art Deco ones are the gargoyles. Not just in skyscrapers but also other buildings as well especially cathedrals.

Are they sort of protectors that drive away evil spirits or are there other purposes why they have them in these structures. Also how about pictures of skyscrpers / buildings with gargoyles.

Here's one, The Chrysler

·
Alá-lá-ô, ô ô ô ô ô ô
113 Posts
There's a book called Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques that was published in 1988 and is available on Amazon. It's got some terrific photos of the gargoyles in New York City.

·
Registered
52 Posts
WANCH said:
One thing I noticed in alot of skyscrapers especially The Art Deco ones are the gargoyles. Not just in skyscrapers but also other buildings as well especially cathedrals.

Are they sort of protectors that drive away evil spirits or are there other purposes why they have them in these structures. Also how about pictures of skyscrpers / buildings with gargoyles.

Here's one, The Chrysler

These gargoyle's (the balden eagle's) on the chryslerbuilding, are the symbole of justice or/and freedom in the US ..it has nothing to do with spirrit's i guess

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
A lot of beuax arts buildings are known for having designs of gargoyles in them.

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
The purpose of the gargoyles are to make flee any malignant spirit. The gargoyles were thus the guards of the Good, and by extension of the Churches (building ?).

Notre Dame de Paris:
I see nothing holy about them, instead they look to me like the materialization of the devil itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts