Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few images of the fire from my work last night, and a few images this morning. Sorry for the quality - they're from my phone camera.

·
Mhmm?
3,732 Posts
Great pictures, if heartbreaking. Must have been difficult to take them.

It's a sad day for the children of the 90s. Seeing the roof completely caved in, in a place where I have so many good memories, really does place a nail in the coffin of that era to me. It was really the last great superclub of the 90s left, something that Ministry and Godskitchen really couldn't hold a torch to.

I hope they rebuild something, but I do have a bad feeling about this. How are the Sheffield council with clubs, pro or anti? They could take the opportunity to 'get rid of a nuisance' and make it very difficult to build a replacement.

Subliving.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Radio Hallam were saying this morning that the owner turned up yesterday while it was burning and said he would rebuild it bigger and louder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I practically grew up in there - Monday night at Blessed, thursday night at Bubblegum, then every 2 or 3 weekends it was saturday night crasher.

I'm not sure how the council are with clubs - Sheffield has usually enjoyed a fair number of clubs, and the republic / gatecrasher was a big flag flyer for sheffield back in the day, so hopefully they'll remember that. Plus we have the plug which opened a couple of years ago, so hopefully they'll realise there will be a definate need for a replacement (though i havent gone in quite a while I presume it was still one of the better clubs for students).

On a positive note, on the bbc news article the club management said they'd be back.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It's a sad day for the children of the 90s. Seeing the roof completely caved in, in a place where I have so many good memories, really does place a nail in the coffin of that era to me. It was really the last great superclub of the 90s left, something that Ministry and Godskitchen really couldn't hold a torch to.

I hope they rebuild something, but I do have a bad feeling about this. How are the Sheffield council with clubs, pro or anti? They could take the opportunity to 'get rid of a nuisance' and make it very difficult to build a replacement.

I totally agree, it's heartbreaking seeing those pictures. Here's hoping the owners true to his word and dose build it bigger and louder (if thats possible). A sad day :cry:

·
Registered
10,977 Posts
Any verdict on how the fire started? Hmmm....maybe the owner will build it bigger but not neccasarily better, much like the Hacienda site in Manchester.

·
Wise fwom your gwave
440 Posts
Fookin Hell, what a mess. Never really liked the place myself, always far too full. Still a damn shame though. Fire in the disco indeed...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Its a shame the building has gone but the place was always a nightmare. I worked there as one of the bar supervisors over 10 years ago (when it was known as the Republic)when i was a student in Sheff, heard it went down hill after i moved South - heard the renaming thing wasn't the best idea the owner ever had!

Nightlife won;t be the same again!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm devastated to see this - I used to travel from Norwich and to this day Crasher is my favorite club - I follow all the events and have met so many good friends there.

Simon Raine has said he will rebuild and hopefully he'll be able to secure the clubs future for the longer term by improving the soundproofing - which was a concern when they built the student flats and on the new Jurys Inn hotel application.

Just heard on the news it is being treated as suspicious which isn't surprising seeing as its a night club which has 1000s of people smoking in it every night without a problem.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
We'll rebuild Gatecrasher- says boss

GATECRASHER boss Simon Raine has pledged to rebuild the nightclub on the Eyre Street site - branding it the club's "spiritual home".
He said he had been inundated with phonecalls and emails about the blaze and that clubbers were gathering at the smouldering building to express their disappointment at the "end of a chapter".

One clubber even left a bouquet of flowers outside the venue with the words: "The music, the lights, the spirit of the people. We will always remember you".

Mr Raine, whose company has other clubs in Watford, Leeds and Nottingham and is to open one in Birmingham, said when he arrived in Sheffield to assess the fire damage there were flames shooting out of the Gatecrasher logo on the side of the building.

"When I got the call about the fire and the fact that it was getting worse, nothing could have prepared me for the sight of 25-foot flames coming from the side of the building," he said.

"I was just completely numb, I didn't expect to see anything like that. I knew when I saw the flames coming through the logo that it was the end of that chapter for the club and the building - it was very disappointing."

He is yet to officially find out whether there is any chance of any of the
building being saved, but said he holds out little hope.

"We are waiting to find out if parts of the building will be left standing or if it will all have to be demolished, but it looks to me like it will all have to be pulled down," he said.

"Our intention is to remain in Sheffield and rebuild the club bigger and better than before. We have had 13 or 14 fantastic years in Sheffield and fantastic support from people - it is the spiritual home of Gatecrasher.

"Gatecrasher has always been a trailblazer and with everything we do we try to make sure we are at the sharp edge, so we will be looking to build a club fit for the 22nd century."
Good news. It wasn't one of you on here that lay the flowers was it? :lol:

1 - 20 of 152 Posts