SkyscraperCity banner

1381 - 1400 of 4030 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Does anybody know anything about Victoria House along the end of Victoria Road in Bensham? All boarded up and looks like an ex old peoples home maybe?

Pics taken by me yesterday, on Photobucket.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Coatsworth Road (Gateshead) - Developments

A new thread Coatsworth Road (Gateshead) - Developments has been opened @ http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=109136850#post109136850

All posts relevant to Coatsworth Road have been copied from this thread into the new one - copied so that continuity on this thread is preserved, but all future postings to the new thread please.

·
Registered
20,470 Posts
Heworth Hall - Aspire Technology Solutions, new Data Centre Building, 27/11/13

Following up on last post #1279 dated 09/10/12

These pictures taken by myself 27/11/13 approx 1100 to show current state of the works - images hosted on Photobucket

Looks as if "multi colour" blockwork set to be hidden by cladding judging by timber battens

KEN

·
Registered
20,470 Posts
Sycamore Road, Birch Road, Elm Road, Maple Road And Hazel Road, Bleach Green, Winlaton - Demolition of 106 houses

More Gateshead Council/former council owned properties to bite the dust

This on Gateshead Planning Portal 28/11/13 as "Pending"

DC/13/01475/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: Demolition of dwellings on Sycamore Road (nos 24-27 both, 32-35 both, 40-43 both, 45, 47); Birch Road (nos 2-32 even, 38-44 even, 5, 7, 21, 23, 29-35 odd, 45, 47); Elm Road (nos 2-12 even, 18-32 even, 38-48 even, 1-19 odd, 29-43 odd); Maple Road (nos 24-34 even, 44, 46, 15, 17, 23-41 odd, 47, 49) and Hazel Road (nos 1, 3).

Sycamore Road, Birch Road, Elm Road, Maple Road And Hazel Road Winlaton

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/weeklyListResults.do;jsessionid=AAC87CF7DD37C4970D40EB2F2A227060?action=firstPage

They are the following 106 Bleach Green area semi detached properties - screen print of Location Plan from Planning Documents

Houses not of Edwardian Terrace type as Bensham/Saltwell Area - they are as shown in this screen print of Google Street View image dated September 2008, and assume no concerted campaign to keep them

Image hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
More Gateshead Council/former council owned properties to bite the dust

This on Gateshead Planning Portal 28/11/13 as "Pending"

DC/13/01475/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: Demolition of dwellings on Sycamore Road (nos 24-27 both, 32-35 both, 40-43 both, 45, 47); Birch Road (nos 2-32 even, 38-44 even, 5, 7, 21, 23, 29-35 odd, 45, 47); Elm Road (nos 2-12 even, 18-32 even, 38-48 even, 1-19 odd, 29-43 odd); Maple Road (nos 24-34 even, 44, 46, 15, 17, 23-41 odd, 47, 49) and Hazel Road (nos 1, 3).

Sycamore Road, Birch Road, Elm Road, Maple Road And Hazel Road Winlaton

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/weeklyListResults.do;jsessionid=AAC87CF7DD37C4970D40EB2F2A227060?action=firstPage

They are the following 106 Bleach Green area semi detached properties - screen print of Location Plan from Planning Documents

Houses not of Edwardian Terrace type as Bensham/Saltwell Area - they are as shown in this screen print of Google Street View image dated September 2008, and assume no concerted campaign to keep them

Image hosted on Photobucket

KEN

Look like 'Dorran type' construction. Probably built sometime just after WW2.

·
Registered
20,470 Posts
Bleach Green - demolition of houses

Look like 'Doran type' construction. Probably built sometime just after WW2.
STEVE

Not Dorrans - I worked on contracts for all of the them across the borough, Chopwell to Leam Lane over the years

In fact from memory think are "traditional construction" but rendered - but they did come to GMBC from Blaydon UDC in 1974 so cannot be certain on that

KEN

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Ken and Steve, do you know anything about the history of the Ventnor Crescent houses? I was contemplating contacting GMBC but perhaps you have the information. I'm interested in when they were built and were they "Doran" construction?

·
Registered
20,470 Posts
Ventnor Crescent Dorran houses, Low Fell, Gateshead

Ken and Steve, do you know anything about the history of the Ventnor Crescent houses? I was contemplating contacting GMBC but perhaps you have the information. I'm interested in when they were built and were they "Doran" construction?
100% Dorran houses - worked on the phases of overclad with insulation + PVCU cladding (1st floor) + render (ground floor) with structural repair to ring beam at first floor level + new windows, external doors, canopy, works to chimney stacks etc many years back (mid 1990's)

Nothing on Gateshead Planning Portal to show details etc

Have no history on the build originally

These screen prints of Google Map & Street View images shows layout and typical arrangement etc (now with white PVCU windows rather than stained brown timber)

This screen print of image from Gateshead ISee Gateshead collection of pictures , 1 of 9 images of the estate under http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/info.php?s=ventnor&type=all&t=objects and shows pair of properties (non hipped roof) "as built" prior to mid 1990's overcladding

KEN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The photo below was taken in 1947 and it hasn't been built yet.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw010297

I've dropped the housing company an e mail :)

Steve

·
Registered
20,470 Posts
Quarryfield Road Gateshead - Erection of district energy scheme building with associated pipe and wire network and temporary site compound

This on Gateshead Planning Portal 29/11/13 as "Granted"

DC/13/01176/FUL

Erection of district energy scheme building with associated pipe and wire network and temporary site compound (additional info received 21/10/13 and amended 08/11/13 and 20/11/13).

Quarryfield Road Gateshead

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MTBSCJHK3Y000

Also posted to "Green Energy" thread

KEN

·
Registered
137 Posts
There seemed to be some exploratory work going on at the Bewick Road synagogue site when I passed today.

I would have asked but the dog was terrified of the noise and I had to do a detour.
They were given permission back in November 2010 to extend the Synagogue (the extension would have been considerably larger than the present Synagogue), but I think they didn't have sufficient funds to commence the works at the time. Maybe the work is going to get underway soon?

Andy

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
They were given permission back in November 2010 to extend the Synagogue (the extension would have been considerably larger than the present Synagogue), but I think they didn't have sufficient funds to commence the works at the time. Maybe the work is going to get underway soon?

Andy
As I understand it they will build a new synagogue and gradually demolish the old one as stated in the planning application DC/08/01453/FUL:

"Phased comprehensive redevelopment of new, larger Synagogue with progressive demolition of existing Synagogue, extension onto existing public open space and change of use and works to part of the garden of 23 Claremont Place to provide full replacement of public open space including stopping up of a public footpath."

There was considerable delay over negotiating the land swap and the development of the revised Bewick Road Park took much longer than it was intended.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Ken and Steve thanks for the information on Ventor Crescent especially the fact that it wasn't there in 1947. I remember when we were kids we used to go down and collect rabbit food when it was still open land. We were devastated when they started to build on it and we had to find alternative sources to feed the bunnies. We spent a lot of time there as it was close to the entrance to the Ninepins, not the pub but the walkway which led down to the bottom of Armstrong Street and on to the Team Valley.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Ken and Steve thanks for the information on Ventor Crescent especially the fact that it wasn't there in 1947. I remember when we were kids we used to go down and collect rabbit food when it was still open land. We were devastated when they started to build on it and we had to find alternative sources to feed the bunnies. We spent a lot of time there as it was close to the entrance to the Ninepins, not the pub but the walkway which led down to the bottom of Armstrong Street and on to the Team Valley.
Just a further piece of useless information to do with Armstrong Street! When what is now Bensham Hospital was built it was a workhouse and Armstrong Street was called Workhouse Lane.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The Nine Pins pathway can still be followed on Google Maps/Earth, including the walkway/duck under, under the ECML. I somehow think that the rail company wouldn't be overly pleased by people on the old sidings between the tracks though.

Images courtesy of Google Earth

Steve

·
Registered
20,470 Posts
Hawks Road Industrial Estate, Hawks Road, Gateshead NE8 3BL - Demolition of all industrial units on the site, 28/11/13

Follow up to post #1368 of 16/11/13

A few days late in being posted but here are some further pictures by myself, taken 28/11/13 approx 1515 looking down on area from The Sage Car Park (some through glass) showing work carried out to the units of the estate - images hosted on Photobucket

Gradual removal of roof and now wall sheeting has taken place

KEN

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
That's interesting, Steve. I had not been near the Ninepins, pub or walk, for many years until my granddaughter moved into the area a couple of years ago and then I found myself passing it frequently. As you can see from this picture it was wild and overgrown:

107_0466 Ninepins overgrown by alfred stone, on Flickr

A few months later a group of workmen came and cleared the top end but I was told it was just to allow them access to the sub-station which is apparently down there now. Out of curiosity I asked the council if it was still a public right of way. Their response was a bit vague:

"My initial thoughts are that the footpath described is not recorded as a
public Right of Way on the definitive map and therefore we as a council
would not be responsible for the maintenance of that path."

He did offer to meet me at the site and discuss whether anything could be done. I consulted with a friend who lives in the old police houses at the top of Ventnor Gardens and he advised me that he and his neighbours would be happier if it was left impassable for obvious reasons. I advised the council that I didn't want to pursue the matter. It is now growing wild again.

When we were kids in the 50s we used to spend our weekends and holidays between Dicky's Dean, Saltwell Park and Team Valley. I doubt that would have been possible without the short cut provided by the Ninepins.

I have seen many maps which show the route of the Ninepins but I have never seen one which actually gives it a name and I have never been able to find the origins of the name.

1381 - 1400 of 4030 Posts