1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plea to back Gateshead in city status bid
by Linda Richards, The Journal, March 11th 2011

Gateshead council's Mick Henry beside a sign for Gateshead

PEOPLE in the North East are being asked to get behind Gateshead in its bid to become a city.

Councillors announced yesterday that they are drawing up plans for city status.

They hope to achieve a long-held ambition after a competition to create a new city was unveiled by the Government to mark next year’s celebrations of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.

The bid, to be lodged in May, will be made at no cost to council tax payers.

Council leader Mick Henry said: “Gateshead is an ambitious and forward-looking place and in the current difficult economic times it’s totally appropriate we look to an inspiring goal.”

He added: “Gateshead is a place we can be proud of – we have fantastic assets and a remarkable history. We believe we are a city in all but name.

“Now we’re asking local people and businesses to support this bid and take part in the great things it could bring in return. In the weeks ahead, there are going to be lots of ways to get involved in the city status bid. Together, we can make a really strong case even stronger.”

Other contenders are Middlesbrough, Reading, Southend and Perth. The winner will be announced in 2012.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...city-status-bid-61634-28316531/#ixzz1GHdvqTyo

·
Architect
1,132 Posts
The population of Gateshead could fit into Wembley Stadium.

At least Reading, Southend and Middlesbrough have at least enough people to possibly be classed as a small city.

There's more people live in South Shields than Gateshead.

I know it's not all about population.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,439 Posts
Plea to back Gateshead in city status bid
by Linda Richards, The Journal, March 11th 2011

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...city-status-bid-61634-28316531/#ixzz1GHdvqTyo
Couldn't quite work out how the statement The bid, to be lodged in May, will be made at no cost to council tax payers, - how can that be true as surely there must be costs attached to making the application, for instance time of Gateshead Council Officers etc.

Kudos only from getting City status and whose to say that the good folk of Gateshead enjoy the idea of living in a Town rather than a City - wonder if anyone has asked them?

Of course it has to remembered that Gateshead was of course part of Newcastle when a Bill was passed on 30th March 1553 "for the uniting and annexing of the manor and town of Gatesyde to the town of Newcastell upon Tyne". Unfortunately the death of Edward VI died before the act could be put into practice and a further Act was passed 2nd April 1554 to reunite Gateshead with the Bishopric of Durham. So if the 1553 Act had not been over turned we would not now have been a point under discussion :eek:hno:

Reminds me of the origination of the name GATESHEAD :

The name Gateshead actually originated in Roman times.

When the Romans settled in Newcastle, (then called Pons Elii), one of the first things they built, apart from the Wall and their temples, was a bridge over the river.

On the south side of the bridge was a huge wooden gate. In charge of the gate was a Roman general called Sidepus.

The Wall, for the most part, did its job of keeping the marauding Picts out, but there were occasions when they broke through. When this happened the local Geordies of the day would run like hell making for the bridge and safety.
As they ran they would shout "will you open the gates Sidepus", a bit of a mouthful when your fighting for breath and your heart is going like the clappers.

It is hardly surprising that this chant became abbreviated to "gate sid".

The name stuck and to this day we still call the town to the south of Newcastle "Gatesid".

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If the four authrities were to unite and become a single City of Tyeside, then Gateshead would become part of a city.

Otherwise, I'm sorry to say, they don't stand a snowball's chance. It's all very well the rport saying 'look at the Metrocetre; how about 'look at the town centre'? It is a complete shambles and as a city would become a national laughing stock (hough i fairness, Salford, made a city inexplicably in 1926, is worse still. There is no city centre there - just Chapel Street which looks as though it has only recently been visited by he Luftwaffe, has no shops, and more closed pubs 9interspesed with derelct buildings and patches of waste ground) in a one mile stretch than any other place in the UK.

Maybe city charters should be transferrable ike pub licences used to be.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd support the Boro over Gateshead. Bet MK gets it, though.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,439 Posts
If the four authrities were to unite and become a single City of Tyeside, then Gateshead would become part of a city.

Otherwise, I'm sorry to say, they don't stand a snowball's chance. It's all very well the rport saying 'look at the Metrocetre; how about 'look at the town centre'? It is a complete shambles and as a city would become a national laughing stock (hough i fairness, Salford, made a city inexplicably in 1926, is worse still. There is no city centre there - just Chapel Street which looks as though it has only recently been visited by he Luftwaffe, has no shops, and more closed pubs 9interspesed with derelct buildings and patches of waste ground) in a one mile stretch than any other place in the UK.

Maybe city charters should be transferrable ike pub licences used to be.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd support the Boro over Gateshead. Bet MK gets it, though.
Ah but Mick Henry made it clear when he was interviewed on this story last night (BBC Look North) that Gateshead will have its new Town Centre (Note TOWN Centre) by 2013. Hang on, is that a pink pig flying past my window :eek:hno:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can't see it happening, but I also can't see the problem in Gateshead bidding for it.

There seems to be a bit of resentment towards it from people on the other side of the river, who are then quite happy to claim the Sage/Baltic/Angel/Metrocentre etc.

It's not like this is new news anyway, it's been in Gateshead Council plans for a few years.

·
Registered
353 Posts

At least Reading, Southend and Middlesbrough have at least enough people to possibly be classed as a small city.

What was the population of Sunderland before they added Washington, Houghton-le-spring ect.....?

Maybe Gateshead could do something similar, like adding Hebburn, Jarrow and.....

Seaburn. :cheers:

·
Northumberland Import
1,575 Posts
I don't see the point, Gateshead has other issues it needs to deal with first before it starts with this delusion of grandeur

On a training course in London last week most of the attendees who were from across Europe and North America thought my delegation was from Newcastle-Gateshead and had no idea they were seperate places

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
When will Gateshead just accept that it is the southern part of the city of Newcastle? And it is in no way a slur me saying this. Newcastle and Gateshead are one and the same.

We have a completely messed up local authority system here on Tyneside and I am not just talking about Gateshead.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,439 Posts
When will Gateshead just accept that is the southern part of the city of Newcastle?

We have a completely messed up local authority system here on Tyneside and I am not just talking about Gateshead.
In no way endorsing the following comment that I found on the Net :

Dr Johnson passing through with James Boswell described it as "a dirty little back lane out of Newcastle" while JB Priestley, writing in his "An English Journey" (1934) said that "no true civilisation could have produced such a town", adding that it appeared to have been designed "by an enemy of the human race".

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

Nope it's certainly not all about population:

Most notably,St David's in Pembrokeshire, Wales is the smallest city in the United Kingdom with a population of just 2000. Other small cities include Wells in Somerset with a population of 10000 and Ely in Cambridgeshire with a population of around 14000.

Mock all you like but this is one of those rare occasions when I agree with my cousin Mick Henry though I always worry when a politician says it's not going to cost me anything. Is he lying? Are his lips moving?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Gateshead's borough population is 190,000, so wouldn't fit into wembley stadium.

politically, gateshead and newcastle have always been separate, and have been for many hundreds of years. however gateshead's always really been newcastle overspill - the original settlement was by the banks of the river directly opposite newcastle. and modern gateshead, suburban in nature, is as interlinked with newcastle as any other newcastle suburb. the degree to which the two boroughs are intrinsically linked is highlighted by the amount of bridges there are joining them.

don't really have a problem with them going for city status, and think gateshead council have done a lot of good over the years raising their profile. I think gateshead council and newcastle council work really well together these days, and have a joined up planning strategy, so i don't think there exists the kind of issues Hollow Man raised. I think that is more of a problem with north tyneside tbh.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I think the reason so many people find this idea daft is that it continues the idea that Gateshead is a distinct place, separate from Newcastle. It's not. The two should have one unified council. It'd save a lot of money without necessarily any loss of quality in service.

As for the population side of things, the same cities Alf mentions are ancient cities. To be a new city, it makes sense to have a decent sized population. Taking things further, for me a city makes it a central point within a region. Why have a new focal point less than a mile from the existing capital of the region?!

·
The Northumbrian
2,183 Posts
I can't see it happening, but I also can't see the problem in Gateshead bidding for it.

There seems to be a bit of resentment towards it from people on the other side of the river, who are then quite happy to claim the Sage/Baltic/Angel/Metrocentre etc.

It's not like this is new news anyway, it's been in Gateshead Council plans for a few years.
I have no resentment towards Gateshead and I wish them well in the bid.
And I have to agree many of developments in the town have raised the profile of Tyneside, more so than Newcastle.
I always look for Gateshead FC results and wish them every success as I regard Gateshead as the Geordie south bank.
I hope the Heed get their new stadium soon and acheive their ambition of getting into the league.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes with a population of 190000 I am not sure where Architect1976 gets his figures from- South Tyneside- which includes south shields- Jarrow and Hebburn have 151000 souls Gateshead 40,000 more. You are fogetting the joined on parts of gateshead such as Dunston, Whickham, Swalwell, Blaydon and surrounding villages. I hope we arent going to start with this old crap about populations of places in the NE as the polical boundaries are totally fucked up up here. Sunderland claims to be the biggest city in the NE but includes a totally seperate town in this figure- Washingtons 60k so minus this sland really has 220K- less that Newcastles 260K. Newcastles figure, however should really be much bigger as places like Longbenton, Killingworth, Benton, Wideopen, Dudley were sliced off newcastle to make N Tyneside a feasible borough. Any how population has nowt to do with city status.
I personally would love to see Newcastle and Gateshead merged into one city- and Newcastle gets its outer suburbs back off n tyneside!
I would love to see Boro get it- if sland gets city status I think Boro is far better of a 'city'

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes with a population of 190000 I am not sure where Architect1976 gets his figures from- South Tyneside- which includes south shields- Jarrow and Hebburn have 151000 souls Gateshead 40,000 more. You are fogetting the joined on parts of gateshead such as Dunston, Whickham, Swalwell, Blaydon and surrounding villages. I hope we arent going to start with this old crap about populations of places in the NE as the polical boundaries are totally fucked up up here. Sunderland claims to be the biggest city in the NE but includes a totally seperate town in this figure- Washingtons 60k so minus this sland really has 220K- less that Newcastles 260K. Newcastles figure, however should really be much bigger as places like Longbenton, Killingworth, Benton, Wideopen, Dudley were sliced off newcastle to make N Tyneside a feasible borough. Any how population has nowt to do with city status.
I personally would love to see Newcastle and Gateshead merged into one city- and Newcastle gets its outer suburbs back off n tyneside!
I would love to see Boro get it- if sland gets city status I think Boro is far better of a 'city'

You think your boundaries are bad up there ! Have a look on a map at Teessides ,I dont know how on earth they draw them up but big areas of the East side of Middlesbrough such as South Bank,Normanby,Eston all come under the Borough of Redcar and Cleveland even though they are physically part of Middlesbrough ,Redcar being 5 miles distant.
Other areas such as Ormesby and Nunthorpe are split in two halves often one side of a street being in Middlesbrough and the other side in Redcar and Cleveland,yet everybody who lives in these areas classes themselves as living in Middlesbrough ,its a crazy situation.
If these areas were added to Middlesbrough they would add 40-50000 to its urban population taking it up to 190000.
As for Stockton, for some reason its borough boundries cross south over the River Tees taking in the Yorkshire towns next to Middlesbrough of Thornaby,Ingleby Barwick and Yarm.
Who on earth dreams these boundaries up, I would like to know how they reach their conclusions

1 - 20 of 149 Posts