Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :) Somehow I learned to love Sony semi-professional cameras... it's a pitty that they ended to produce the top-class semi-professional cameras in order to promote their lower-end SLR cameras that are somewhat worse.

Happily managed to jump on the passing train and bought a Sony DSC R1 already at the moment when the price on the remaining stock in Internet shops has started to rise.

In this year I have to produce some thousands of pictures from all over Latvia and have started to work. Here come some early pictures from Riga from this week. Be kind to me - I am still learning to manage this device ;) Most of the views have been seen here - but I hope that you won' t be unhappy to see them once more - just to be sure that Riga has not lost them.
- - -
Old City
Didn' t have much opportunity to be there. Just...

Swedish gate in Old City. One of the remaining bits of old fortification wall.

Boulevards
Opera square. When running in haste from Centre to Old City... this place takes off some stress.

Laimas pulkstenis - Art Deco style advertisement in Centre. Most popular meeting place.

Bastejkalns Hill. Hill in Riga - it looks even somehow unpolite and rough. It was built artificially in late 19th century.

Bastejkalns from the other side

Small Postmodern bridge at Bastejkalns (built in 2000). Everybody is surprised at something...

See it with your eyes. Newly wed pairs leave padlocks on city bridges - even if city authorities remove them from time to time, padlocks come again. Padlock producers have found new life for their semi-forgotten product.

Largest and oldest Ginkgo biloba tree in Baltics - planted in 1920ies.

Fountain in Vermane Gardens. There always are morons who steal parts of this beautiful fountain but City renovates it again.

Vermane Gardens with some relaxing people.

Busy traffic at Academy of Art

Area around Alberta Street
So called "Silent Centre" - most expensive and luxurious part of city in early 20th century - then even the doorhandles were covered with gold there. Much has to be done to get back the former glory... most likely it is even impossible...

Alberta Street - luxurious street with many terribly tasteless and terribly interesting buildings. Run-down in Soviet times and step by step renovated today. Renovation of one building costs more than 10 mio EUR - and in some cases there are 7 - 8 apartments in each building. Thus far some 6 buildings have been renovated, some 12 - 14 are waiting for renovations.

Alberta 13 - the most tasteless one IMHO.

Wow. Nice neighbour. Let's hope - it's not screaming during the night.

The best architecture on the street IMHO - Alberta 11. Rather modest and dark late Jugendstil - so called "Vertikalism".

Alberta 4 (where the lion stands) has renovation undergoing. Costs - above 10 mio EUR. 6 apartments for sale. Jugendstil museum will come there. neighboring building is still waiting for renovation.

...still waiting for renovation...

Alberta 2a. Other buildings around have 5 floors, but the developer of this one somehow wanted only 4. City officials saw a problem in this. "No, there is no problem!" - said Mr. Eisenstein (architect of the street) - "We will make terribly expensive fake floor on top of this!" "Wow, that's a nice deal!" - said developer. (Imaginary dialogue ;) )

Alberta 2. Sphinx at the entrance door. Beloved by several generations of photographs and forgotten by investors.

Once more Alberta 2. Trendy statue. At least we can pretend so.

Strelnieku Street 4a - tasteless and beautiful

Dracon on a house in Antonijas Street. "Whops... I've lost something... but may be nobody will notice it"

Streetscape, Elizabetes Street

Hotel "Monika". Once upon a time it was Faculty of Geography/

Embassy of Russia. Splendid and tasteless building IMHO.

"Mauricijs" building with some fountains. It is hard to photograph most of the splendid buildings of Boulevards - there are trees in front of them.

Centre
"Berga bazars" quarter living it's daily life.

Pardaugava

Running away from the Centre...

"Panorama Plaza" skyscrapers are seen in the background. They are not nice but they are very urban.

Looking back at Centre. Parex bank is building it's new headquarters. Nothing too special if you ask me - but they promised to bring something extraordinary...

Treasury of Bank of Latvia - built around 2003. Very impressive "corner play" - even when you see it in reality, you can't distinguish sometimes where ends a building and starts mirror reflexion. Great work by "Arhis".

- - -
To be continued...

·
Landscape Architect
71 Posts
Yeehaaa!

Gatis is back in action! Your photos help me get through the long periods between visits to LV. Many other threads and photos help too, but yours by far are my favorites!
I am trying to change my situation and get over there more often for longer periods, but for now I will just have to wait for more photos from you!

Sirsnigs paldies! I am savoring the memories of many an Uzavas Alus sitting in the courtyard in front of Andaluzijas Suns! Mmmmmm, beer....

·
15,845 Posts
Hello :) Somehow I learned to love Sony semi-professional cameras... it's a pitty that they ended to produce the top-class semi-professional cameras in order to promote their lower-end SLR cameras that are somewhat worse.

Happily managed to jump on the passing train and bought a Sony DSC R1 already at the moment when the price on the remaining stock in Internet shops has started to rise.

In this year I have to produce some thousands of pictures from all over Latvia and have started to work. Here come some early pictures from Riga from this week. Be kind to me - I am still learning to manage this device ;) Most of the views have been seen here - but I hope that you won' t be unhappy to see them once more - just to be sure that Riga has not lost them.
- - -
Old City
Didn' t have much opportunity to be there. Just...

Swedish gate in Old City. One of the remaining bits of old fortification wall.

Boulevards
Opera square. When running in haste from Centre to Old City... this place takes off some stress.

Laimas pulkstenis - Art Deco style advertisement in Centre. Most popular meeting place.

Bastejkalns Hill. Hill in Riga - it looks even somehow unpolite and rough. It was built artificially in late 19th century.

Bastejkalns from the other side

Small Postmodern bridge at Bastejkalns (built in 2000). Everybody is surprised at something...

See it with your eyes. Newly wed pairs leave padlocks on city bridges - even if city authorities remove them from time to time, padlocks come again. Padlock producers have found new life for their semi-forgotten product.

Largest and oldest Ginkgo biloba tree in Baltics - planted in 1920ies.

Fountain in Vermane Gardens. There always are morons who steal parts of this beautiful fountain but City renovates it again.

Vermane Gardens with some relaxing people.

Busy traffic at Academy of Art

Area around Alberta Street
So called "Silent Centre" - most expensive and luxurious part of city in early 20th century - then even the doorhandles were covered with gold there. Much has to be done to get back the former glory... most likely it is even impossible...

Alberta Street - luxurious street with many terribly tasteless and terribly interesting buildings. Run-down in Soviet times and step by step renovated today. Renovation of one building costs more than 10 mio EUR - and in some cases there are 7 - 8 apartments in each building. Thus far some 6 buildings have been renovated, some 12 - 14 are waiting for renovations.

Alberta 13 - the most tasteless one IMHO.

Wow. Nice neighbour. Let's hope - it's not screaming during the night.

The best architecture on the street IMHO - Alberta 11. Rather modest and dark late Jugendstil - so called "Vertikalism".

Alberta 4 (where the lion stands) has renovation undergoing. Costs - above 10 mio EUR. 6 apartments for sale. Jugendstil museum will come there. neighboring building is still waiting for renovation.

...still waiting for renovation...

Alberta 2a. Other buildings around have 5 floors, but the developer of this one somehow wanted only 4. City officials saw a problem in this. "No, there is no problem!" - said Mr. Eisenstein (architect of the street) - "We will make terribly expensive fake floor on top of this!" "Wow, that's a nice deal!" - said developer. (Imaginary dialogue ;) )

Alberta 2. Sphinx at the entrance door. Beloved by several generations of photographs and forgotten by investors.

Once more Alberta 2. Trendy statue. At least we can pretend so.

Strelnieku Street 4a - tasteless and beautiful

Dracon on a house in Antonijas Street. "Whops... I've lost something... but may be nobody will notice it"

Streetscape, Elizabetes Street

Hotel "Monika". Once upon a time it was Faculty of Geography/

Embassy of Russia. Splendid and tasteless building IMHO.

"Mauricijs" building with some fountains. It is hard to photograph most of the splendid buildings of Boulevards - there are trees in front of them.

Centre
"Berga bazars" quarter living it's daily life.

Pardaugava

Running away from the Centre...

"Panorama Plaza" skyscrapers are seen in the background. They are not nice but they are very urban.

Looking back at Centre. Parex bank is building it's new headquarters. Nothing too special if you ask me - but they promised to bring something extraordinary...

Treasury of Bank of Latvia - built around 2003. Very impressive "corner play" - even when you see it in reality, you can't distinguish sometimes where ends a building and starts mirror reflexion. Great work by "Arhis".

- - -
To be continued...
Very Nice thank you. But why you call some building tasteless?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You can see why some people say that Riga is the 'Little Paris'.

The Russian Embassy looks like 'The Adams' Family' House, or 'The Haunted House' at Disneyland. Typical of Russia.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had no idea that Riga is such a beautiful city , whoa :D

My favourite pictures :

Are you sure that you didn't take this picture on some trip to Scandinavian capitals? :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great pictures, thanks! It's always heartwarming to look at excellent pictures of my home town. Gatis, you are saying that you have to produce thousands of pictures this year - you mean as a hobby or you need to make pictures for work?

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for replies :)

@Ints - there is Uzavas alus in Andaluzijas suns available? Wow, should try it there :)

But why you call some building tasteless?
Because many of those late Historism - early Jugendstil buildings are really tasteless. They have collected all kinds of sculptures on facades - the more, the better. Riga at that time was booming and the rich ones did not have good taste all the time. But now, as time has passed, this is great value - even if tasteless, it looks very interesting and makes the city lively.

The Russian Embassy looks like 'The Adams' Family' House, or 'The Haunted House' at Disneyland. Typical of Russia.
This was not necessary. That building after all is built in Riga according to the taste of some local richman - and at that time these were local newly rich Latvians who often did not have good taste.

I have no clue yet how it came to be at disposal of our Ministry of Foreign Affairs - but somehow in 1930ies this building became Russian embassy. They got it back in 1990ies and are maintaining it very well. There is some conflicting regarding recent additions to this building (not seen in picture) - cheap looking Postmodern which does not fit well with the historical architecture. But that's by far not the biggest problem in Centre.

I had no idea that Riga is such a beautiful city , whoa
It's both unbelievably beautiful and unbelievably ugly. Depends on place where you are :) But there are loads of beautiful places - lots of thgem outside Centrum too.

Gatis, you are saying that you have to produce thousands of pictures this year - you mean as a hobby or you need to make pictures for work?
That's a work for weekends ;) hobby + paid work. Bear in mind that soon many of the pictures will be owned by somebody else and I will take them out of Internet. But I will try to make many pictures - so that something remains.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
WOW. Riga is amazing. Sombody somewhere in this forum sayed that in Baltic states you cannot find any real city. After this thread I completely disagree. Riga is very big and bautiful city. I think that the best in baltic. Unfortunately you have less tourist than Vilnius or Tallinn:(

·
Landscape Architect
71 Posts
Thanks for replies :)

@Ints - there is Uzavas alus in Andaluzijas suns available? Wow, should try it there :)
Gati, that was a couple of years ago, but I have no idea why they would ever stop selling it there. They have both gaisais and tumsais! A warm evening, a deck of cards and some good beer is a nice way to spend your time in Riga in the summer!

·
Hotel Business
792 Posts
Wow, Gatis is sure back on track!! Good job, can't wait to see more! :eek:kay:

Unfortunately you have less tourist than Vilnius or Tallinn:(
Unfortunately there are now perhaps more tourists in Riga than in Vilnius or Tallinn. Unfortunately - because most of the tourists go to Riga because of completely different things than architecture and history, and often do "bad things". :eek:hno:

·
Landscape Architect
71 Posts
most of the tourists go to Riga because of completely different things than architecture and history, and often do "bad things". :eek:hno:
I hate to add such a depressing picture to this thread but a relevant article in the IHT talks about this drunken tourist issue and how it is changing Rome.
Just look at this picture!
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/25/news/journal.php?page=1

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Nice photos, dude... fresh and juicy colors, and beautiful city!

Sony R1 is a nice choice, i got the same camera. IMHO it is the best non-SLR camera, and it is much better than cheap China-made Nikon SLRs whith shitty kit lenses. I have no glue why 4/5 of low-end SLR consumers never buy a normal objective and use a kit one.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'll have to agree about the tasteless bit, baroque overload with all those pastel colours, yuck! still I wouldnt mind having them in my city as there is something interesting and appealing about them still.:)
Also, I really like the one with the fake floor, very cool and original building. The simplicity and old feel of things like the Swedish gate I also find very appealing.
Anyway, looks like a very interesting city, thanks for sharing.

·
Bonsoir l'Europe!
765 Posts
Hello Gatis, nice to see you again :)

I want some more, don't you have some wellpreserved interior decorating or is it all vanished?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts