SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting link to a Wikipedia page that lists, with tons of info, the world's 10 "Alpha World Cities" from the Globalization and World Cities Study Group & Network at England's Loughborough University. Their facts and criteria are very interesting and hard to argue with.

The ten cities are:
London
New York
Paris
Tokyo
Chicago
Frankfurt
Hong Kong
Los Angeles
Milan
Singapore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_city

Full of fun facts, pix and demographic arcania. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am sorry... as as you must know LA is in the alpha world... but not a city representative of such...

Yes, I've been to LA several times... and I know what I am talking about...

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
When it comes to amenities and things to do-LA is easily an Alpha City.

Its not about packaging when it comes to LA. Its about what you can see, do, buy etc.

·
Titter ye not.
19,198 Posts
GaWC is world reknowned and highly respected, it is some list that a bunch of guys have made up for an internet top ten. If you follow the link and read the criteria its pretty fair going.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
But isn't it a London-centric list? Basically all they did was take a bunch of companies in three or four specific fields that had an office in multiple cities (particularly London) and ranked the cities on whether or not they had an office.

·
NW London baby!
4,861 Posts
Either way at the end of the day London, New York and Tokyo are the only three TRUE alpha cities.

End of story.

·
Banned
80 Posts
wikipedia? lol.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never trust sources from that page....its the worst page you could ever get information from

singapore? give me a break

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Sitback said:
Either way at the end of the day London, New York and Tokyo are the only three TRUE alpha cities.

End of story.
Each time, I'm amazed to see those Brits trying to take Paris off the Alpha world cities' list, and adding a dumb "End of story" ... :)

Everybody knows that Paris and London are on the same level (except some brits who seem to live in another world...)

·
Banned
492 Posts
bnmaddict said:
Each time, I'm amazed to see those Brits trying to take Paris off the Alpha world cities' list, and adding a dumb "End of story" ... :)

Everybody knows that Paris and London are on the same level (except some brits who seem to live in another world...)
London packs more power than Paris. I guess us folk here in the Midwestern US don't know it either. :lol:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
After having read most of the threads dealing with the status of the "big 4", I think it's fair to say that Paris' place with London, NYC and Tokyo is in peril. It has really begun to slip behind in its worldwide influence compared to those three.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
hudkina said:
Yes, because we're so uncultured, unlike the French.;)
That's sooo true! :D

Ok, I was dumb to say that...

Now, being serious, many british try to make us believe there's a real gap between London and Paris, it's just false, economically, those 2 cities are very close, none of them have more overall influence than the other. Except in the financial field where London is ahead, they are very close.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For me NY, LD, Paris and Tokyo are the TOP 4 Alpha cities.. no question about it.

And about those British - haven`t you all notice that they are talking SSDD ? :]

·
Banned
492 Posts
bnmaddict said:
Well I'm not really surprise that you, US midwesterner, don't know it! :)

Ironically, I've been to Paris but not London. Nice city, even if the French can be a bit obnoxious and rude. What's up with that?

Anyway, Paris is a major power but I do think London is ahead.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
DetoX said:
For me NY, LD, Paris and Tokyo are the TOP 4 Alpha cities.. no question about it.

And about those British - haven`t you all notice that they are talking SSDD ? :]
Yep, some of their favorites sentences: "By 2012, we'll have more Skyscrapers in London than in Frankfurt and Paris combined!!!"; "By 2025, UK's GDP will be higher than German's GDP!!!"... ("By 2050, London will have more skyscrapers than NYC and HK combined and will be the one and only center of the world!!!") :)

·
Banned
269 Posts
Fucking hell, the amount of people trying to knock the British have a real problem. Either there being shit stabbed or thier just so far stuck up thier own ass to realise the truth.

Now, just go with the thread, and all your ignoranious morons who are trying to get one over each other shut up ... Its starting to get really boring.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Citrus-Fruit said:
Fucking hell, the amount of people trying to knock the British have a real problem. Either there being shit stabbed or thier just so far stuck up thier own ass to realise the truth.

Now, just go with the thread, and all your ignoranious morons who are trying to get one over each other shut up ... Its starting to get really boring.
Your "truth" is as virtual as those images of Canary Wharf in 2012. :)

And you're one of those Brits I was talking about, Citrus-Fruit (It's amazing how your dumb arrogant sentences remind me those of BirminghamCulture...).

Amazingly, I do agree with something in your stupid post, it's high time to go back to the thread.

·
Banned
269 Posts
bnmaddict said:
Your "truth" is as virtual as those images of Canary Wharf in 2012. :)

And you're one of those Brits I was talking about, Citrus-Fruit (It's amazing how your dumb arrogant sentences remind me those of BirminghamCulture...).

Amazingly, I do agree with something in your stupid post, it's high time to go back to the thread.

Oi mouth, you're the biggest culprit on here, now shut it and get back on track.

if you look back its you that took this thread of its rails, now the least you could do is put it back on.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Citrus-Fruit said:
Oi mouth, you're the biggest culprit on here, now shut it and get back on track.

if you look back its you that took this thread of its rails, now the least you could do is put it back on.
Nope, BirminghamCulture/Citrus-Fruit, I won't stop playing with you just because you tell me to shut up.

And I won't get this thread back on its rails neither, as all those threads about "Alpha world cities" don't lead anywhere.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.