SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A historic church in Gdańsk seriously damaged in a fire

A historic church in Gdansk has been seriously damaged in a fire. The roof of the 13th century St Catherine’s Church caved in, as flames licked up through its structure. :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The firefighters managed to bring to safety most of the valuable works of art inside the church, including Baroque paintings. :applause: :applause: :applause:

The church tower is famous for its 37-bell carillon which has chimed every hour on the hour since the 50th anniversary of the outbreak of World War Two. The church is the final resting place of the famaous Gdansk astronomer Johann Hevelius. The church’s roof was undergoing renovation when the fire broke out at around 3 pm.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
church before fire :

St Catherine's Church

is the oldest parish church of the Old City, erected between 1227-1239.

First founded by the princes of Gdańsk Pomerania, it was substantially expanded in the 14th c. Until 1944 the shrine had dazed visitors with its internal decor brimming with Gothic, Mannerist, and Baroque treasures. The year 1945 marked its destruction. After the war the historic structure was fully restored.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few more photos :

Church before fire

fire:

now:

fortunately the interior survived and almost all of the valuable pieces of art were saved

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Thats sad, but if it was simply a reconstruction, it can be easily reconstructed again.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Oh no :( I love that Cathedral. Hopefully they won't have much problems reconstructing it. Still it's very sad. The pictures are very impressive, though. Some of them look unreal.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
UrbanMyth said:
A beautiful example of German Baltic architecture - gone. Sad.
It's actually neither German nor Baltic, it doesn't even look anything like churches in the Baltics or Germany (nothing unique about the church which would relate it to churches in those countries). It is a typical European gothic and you can find similar churches all over Poland.

It was built by in 1220s, oldest church in Gdansk built by Polish duke of Pomerania Msciwoj I, a crown fief who also called himself by an offical title "Polish governor of Eastern Pomerania".

Where do you get the Germans in Gdansk in 1200s is beyond me. I don't think they even collonized Berlin by then. I think it was still Slavic until late 14th century. First "German" authority arrived in Gdansk when Teutonic Knights sacked the city in 1309 and murdered all of its Polish inhabitants. They were invited and allowed to settle in Poland (granted land and rights) by Polish prince Konrad of Mazovia after they were kicked out of Hungary.

Nothing is gone. It will be rebuilt and you won't even know it was ever on fire.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Gummo cut him some slack. He is just being American :)

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
sad indeed :( hope they restore the building to its original self,

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's actually neither German nor Baltic, it doesn't even look anything like churches in the Baltics or Germany (nothing unique about the church which would relate it to churches in those countries). It is a typical European gothic and you can find similar churches all over Poland.

It was built by in 1220s, oldest church in Gdansk built by Polish duke of Pomerania Msciwoj I, a crown fief who also called himself by an offical title "Polish governor of Eastern Pomerania".

Where do you get the Germans in Gdansk in 1200s is beyond me. I don't think they even collonized Berlin by then. I think it was still Slavic until late 14th century. First "German" authority arrived in Gdansk when Teutonic Knights sacked the city in 1309 and murdered all of its Polish inhabitants. They were invited and allowed to settle in Poland (granted land and rights) by Polish prince Konrad of Mazovia after they were kicked out of Hungary.

Nothing is gone. It will be rebuilt and you won't even know it was ever on fire.
Yes, you're absolutely right, Jacek. This is a wonderful example of Polish Gothic. It's terrible it burned down. Luckily the most difficult things to restore, namely the art, was saved.

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,008 Posts
Damn, I miss Jacek. Gotta love how he always managed to sneak in some piece of information which would portray the Germans as evil, vile murderers.

BTW, any info on the reconstruction progress?

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
reconstruction is ongoing
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts