SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next time you whine about a 500ft scraper u/c in your city not being 800ft, take time out to consider some of these shots compared to now and the future...Brissy & Sydney already had huge suburban spreads too.

BTW Couldn't do much about the quality (from old booklets).

Brisbane:

Canberra. Now we know where it got the "bush capital" tag from. LOL @ high school in the description - Must have been a big deal.

Gold Coast etc:

Hobart. Where is it!?!

Perth:

Wow, how Perth has changed so much!!

Sydney:

I find this one interesting. A very good superimposed render or model of the original more flowing design for Opera House, long before it was completed.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Awsome shots! Love that opera house one and that high aerial over Sydney.

Imagine if you could start with a clean slate like that.

jt

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I really like the way the Brisbane river winds through Brisbane, reminds me of the curves of the Thames.

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Any shots of Australian cities before 1957 had there skylines limited to 40m /132ft (46m/150ft in Sydney) high. This was approx 10-12storeys. Architects took advantage of putting "uninhabited" structures above this height to give there building more impact!
Sydney had the tallest building pre-1957 being the 112.5m/369ft AWA Tower (1939). they look very European.
top scans muse

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts

whats with the side of the bank in comparison with these 2 pics? on the closest side on the left near the bridge. If it's erosion than thats wierd how it's happend so quickly and in only one place. must be man made?

Excellent find's btw

·
5,169 Posts
Grantus said:

whats with the side of the bank in comparison with these 2 pics? on the closest side on the left near the bridge. If it's erosion than thats wierd how it's happend so quickly and in only one place. must be man made?

Excellent find's btw
That whole area with the road interchange and bridge is reclaimed land from the Swan River - looks like some land was also claimed in South Perth (Mill Point?) for the southern end of the bridge. So it isn't erosion, it's newly filled land that hasn't got anything growing on it yet!

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts
oh dear, i was looking at them in the wrong order :D I think i need some sleep.... I should of put 2 and 2 together and seen those bigger high rises. so yeah erosion was wrong word to use :p

·
©
9,470 Posts
Ahhhh. I thought so. Perth Wildcats used to play there huh? Now they play at that crap Challenge Stadium or whatever it is.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Basketball is no were near as popular as it was back in the early 1990s when they used to play at the Entertainment Centre.

·
©
9,470 Posts
Ipggi said:
Basketball is no were near as popular as it was back in the early 1990s when they used to play at the Entertainment Centre.
Yeah true!! It is still very popular in Townsville, nearly any sport is popular here though!! lol

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Love the old pictures.

The one of Brisbane, can anyone date it?

I'm guessing about 66/67.

Love seeing the old Kemp Place (in front of the Story Bridge) and also the British style curved roof over Central Station.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts