SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One down in Geelong has been approved, site is currently a dis-used carpark, will be a nice addition to Geelong's already growing skyline, no idea if this one has been discussed, couldn't find anything on it.

apparently the design was revised pending approval, would like to know what it will now look like, as the olkd renders where impressive:

Problem is is going to block out that handsome tower behind it.

·
Developer
7,646 Posts
They have to cut four floors off so it is the same height as the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel next door :-(

I don't think anything will be built on the site for quite a while now and if something is built it will be a dumbed down cheaper design because as long as it is short they will approve any crap design :-(.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Grollo, so what is the height limit in Geeelong (near, or along The Esplenade)?

It was approved not long ago, and will be started this year depending on demand for apartments they say?

·
Developer
7,646 Posts
The dumbed down version:

Not that bad but compared to what Geelong could of had...

·
Registered
574 Posts
The ideal location for a 20 level landmark tower by Outrigger Hotels. Geelong needs to realise it has a winning football 'Cats' team and what views all around Port Phillip Bay and Bellarine Peninsular.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grollo said:
The dumbed down version:

Not that bad but compared to what Geelong could of had...
I saw that render, theres no way that could be it though could it? no way! the site says they are releasing the new renders soon, so I hope they have kept it like the original as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The only people in Geelong are NIMBYs...no wait, thats an insult to NIMBYs..

·
Registered
367 Posts
I actually broke this story on this forum a few years ago now.

I must be the only person on this forum that likes Geelong, and I see massive potential for this city.

I am horrified that the local council would replace that landmark building with this outdated low rise piece of SHIT!!

They will be getting an angry letter from me... hideous!

MG2

·
Developer
7,646 Posts
According to the city of Geelong there is no need for an observation deck/cafe in Geelong so it would be better to cut the top off the tower. That's right a developer was willing to build an observation deck on the Geelong waterfront at no cost to council but council said no thanks because Geelong doesn't need that kind of tourist infastructure.

No wonder they fought so hard for a bypass so that all the tourists heading down the coast will no longer have ANY reason to stop in Geelong except at the freeway McDonalds/Red rooter service centre.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Grollo said:
According to the city of Geelong there is no need for an observation deck/cafe in Geelong so it would be better to cut the top off the tower. That's right a developer was willing to build an observation deck on the Geelong waterfront at no cost to council but council said no thanks because Geelong doesn't need that kind of tourist infastructure.

No wonder they fought so hard for a bypass so that all the tourists heading down the coast will no longer have ANY reason to stop in Geelong except at the freeway McDonalds/Red rooter service centre.

it just makes no sense... geelong is a nice enough place... do they want to be industrial only?

·
6,436 Posts
Found a year old article from The Age - Geelong tower sparks showdown Seems developer took it to court but I guess the planning tribunal rejected it as well? Says it would have been Geelong's tallest building? And an obsesrvation deck as well plus an amazing design. AND THEY DIDN'T WANT IT!!!!! God, wouldn't that shit you to tears.

NIMBY's eh :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

·
Registered
439 Posts
geelong was trying to get a gugenheim museum at some stage too, no doubt the dumb f**k councilors would have tried to have the design turned to s**t. I look forward to the day when councils have absolutely no power over planning in victoria. it's only a matter of time

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
OMG The idiots. Truly!

The knocked back version would've also got into a lot of architectural mags and a few books, giving Geelong a bit of exposure....but that's exactly what they don't want. The damn "get offa mah prop-a-teeee" hicks. :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

They've spent all that dosh on the beachfront but for who? Themselves obviously. :|

·
I want to do you slowly
491 Posts
When I go into politics and run for mayor of this mixed up city I'm going to scrap the height limit altogether - I don't care if the only thing that gets built is the papple-pop skyscraper and the escalator to nowhere - it would be better that the malaise the city is in right now.

The irony is if they wanted a travelodge they only had to look on the next block along the waterfront - no bull!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts