SkyscraperCity banner

3541 - 3560 of 3730 Posts

·
Administrator
5,873 Posts
I'm using 3 different computers: An old Windows 7 PC, a 5-year-old Windows 10 laptop and a 2-year-old Windows 10 laptop. It seems to be an issue on all of them, though maybe the latter one less so.
Are all 3 systems located under the same address?
Do they have the same configuration somehow?
Is there the same (software) firewall and/or the same router/hardware firewall inbetween?
Did you try to use the systems with browsers in safe mode without any add-ons/extensions activated?
Did you run a virus scanner and/or malware/spyware defender to see if something is there which should not be?

There are many more questions to be asked because finding out the golden question is not so easy.
But for the start those questions are usefull to isolate some parts of the system such as software/hardware.

·
9,883 Posts
Are all 3 systems located under the same address?
Do they have the same configuration somehow?
Is there the same (software) firewall and/or the same router/hardware firewall inbetween?
Did you try to use the systems with browsers in safe mode without any add-ons/extensions activated?
Did you run a virus scanner and/or malware/spyware defender to see if something is there which should not be?

There are many more questions to be asked because finding out the golden question is not so easy.
But for the start those questions are usefull to isolate some parts of the system such as software/hardware.
For now, yes they are since I'm working at home. The 2 laptops I use my wi-fi but my PC is hard-wired. I don't recall if my work laptop was doing that before I started working at home, but that's the one that's least bad anyway.

On both my home laptop and home PC I have no anti-virus software or anything like that. I think I've got some on my work laptop though I'm not sure what. The only ad blocker I have is on Opera (which I never use for the forum) and on my Firefox for my work laptop (which I also never use to browse the forum). No other extensions on any computers.

I should note that it doesn't always do it either. Can't discern a pattern.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Once again - it only works when you open any particular thread often enough.

Try to open a thread after a month or so - it opens on the first page, even if there are posts made after migration.
I think I've now seen this issue as well. The timeframes involved make this harder to test for me, and I can't say I'm 100% sure I've opened that topic before with XenForo. Hopefully it'd maybe be slightly easier for VS to test it themselves?

How long is "often enough"?

·
Complex Equation
6,927 Posts
I can't see them thus dont have links. They were older threads but not older than the oldest one in that subforum

·
Administrator
5,873 Posts
I can't see them thus dont have links. They were older threads but not older than the oldest one in that subforum
I am able to see that subforum.
For me it seems to be ok.
That does not mean that it must be for you too.

Do you remember some thread titles which you are not able to see?
What does "older" means exactly?
Please specify the time.

·
Complex Equation
6,927 Posts
there were a lot of threads in that subforum. I can see the threads (which probably you can as well). One was about Spirituality discussions, one was about LGBT, another was regarding Classical Music. Most of them are gone

·
Administrator
5,873 Posts
When was the last time you were able to see those threads?
I think this must have been some time ago.

Various threads were deleted in that subforum.
The best way is to ask the local moderators.
They know the best why they were deleted.

·
Administrator
5,873 Posts
yeah I have asked in the local forum as well.
I can see this was about 1 hour ago.
You need to be patient to get an answer.
The moderators are doing their jobs on a voluntary base.
So not everyone of them is available everytime.
Just give them some time to give you an answer.

As an (external) administrator I am not aware of the thinks going on in the Indian subforum.
So my intervention could be considered as bypassing the local moderators.
This should be avoided.

·
Whatevah
5,105 Posts
I was on a forum that's still running vBulletin and I remembered this post as I wondered how long they're going to stay on an „еnd of life“ platform...
  • vBullletin 3.8 runs on an old version of PHP that is at “end of life” and is no longer supported. It is also very slow. We originally attempted upgrading a few sites to the newer versions of PHP, but it caused many many problems.
  • vBulletin does not support IPv6. As many ISPs begin moving users to IPv6, vBulletin would actually not allow them to register or post, as it was built when this did not exist and does not recognize those types of IPs. This was causing existing users to be unable to post in many communities.
  • vBulletin was built in 2004, and does not support modern web APIs or frameworks, and is not responsive on mobile devices. Continuing to hack away at old software just didn’t make sense anymore. We were literally playing ‘whack-a-mole’ with bugs and end of life cycle code.
Well, turns out there's vBulletin 5.5.6 which was released 3 months ago. I mean, I know there's no going back but I just don't understand why we're being told vBulletin is old, outdated, and no longer supported when it doesn't seem to be the case?!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I was on a forum that's still running vBulletin and I remembered this post as I wondered how long they're going to stay on an „еnd of life“ platform...

Well, turns out there's vBulletin 5.5.6 which was released 3 months ago. I mean, I know there's no going back but I just don't understand why we're being told vBulletin is old, outdated, and no longer supported when it doesn't seem to be the case?!
He was talking about vBulletin 3. An hypothetical migration to vBulletin 5 would require the same amount of work.

However, vBulletin 5 is really crap.

3541 - 3560 of 3730 Posts