SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 180 of 529 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,480 Posts
Port Colborne

was a major flour-producing site in Canada, because of


A building a King & Charlotte Streets.



St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, on King Street. The church was built in 1879.



Wildwood, on Catharine Street. The house was built by William Arnott in 1876, and was enlarged in 1886.



The Port Colborne Outer Lighthouse, at the southern tip of a breakwater in Lake Erie's Gravelly Bay. The lighthouse was built in 1928, and marks the outer entrance to Sugarloaf Harbour, which leads into the Welland Canal.



*** Outer Lighthouse



The Port Colborne Inner Lighthouse, in Sugarloaf Harbour. The lighthouse was built in 1903, and marks the entrance to the Welland Canal.



*** Inner Lighthouse



ADM Milling, at the foot of King Street at Sugarloaf Harbour. The flour mill opened in 1911 as the Maple Leaf Mill, and was substantially altered following a fire in 1960.



*** ADM Milling



A war memorial in H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park, on Sugarloaf Street.



The Tennessee Avenue Gates, where Tennessee Avenue meets Sugarloaf Street. The gates were built in 1898 for the Humberstone Club summer resort colony.



The old Humberstone Club Casino, on Tennessee Avenue. The clubhouse was built in 1912 for the Humberstone Summer Resort Company, and was in use until the 1930s. It is now a private residence.



A house on Oakridge Crescent.



Houses along Stanley Street.



The Steele Street School, on Steele Street. The school was built in 1915.



Port Colborne Memorial Arena, on West Side Road. The arena was built in 1960, and was the home of the Port Colborne Sailors, and later the Pirates, of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League until 2014.



Houses on Main Street.



Businesses on Main Street.



A building on Main Street.



Buildings on Main Street.



The White Block on Main Street, dating to 1885.



The old Humberstone Township Hall, on Main Street. The town hall was built in 1852.



Houses on Main Street.



View down the Welland Canal at the Clarence Street Bridge and canal opening



The Robin Hood Flour Mill, on Sherwood Forest Lane. The mill was built in the early 1940s to meet demand for flour in World War II.



*** Lock 8



A counterweight is used for the Main Street Bridge, which is a rolling lift bridge.



When the counterweight goes down, the bridge pivot rolls along a track, and is lifted.



Lock 8 Gateway Park, along Mellanby Avenue. The park was established in 1979 as a place for visitors to view the rising and lowering of water in Lock 8 as ships pass through the Welland Canal.



A building on Mellanby Avenue. A ship pushing a barge through Lock 8 is in the background.



The Thomas Reeb House, on King Street. The house was built in 1907.



The Shickluna Garage, on King Street. The garage was built in 1925, and is one of the earliest remaining examples of a structure built for the service of automobiles.



The Canadian National Railway Station, on King Street at Park Street. The railroad station was built in 1925. The station also served as the terminus for the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway, which was a trolley line between Port Dalhousie and Port Colborne.



Buildings on West Street at Clarence Street.





*** canal



*** bridge up



Buildings on West Street. On the left is the Imperial Bank of Canada, built in 1911 with a terra cotta exterior.



The Wickens Building, on West Street. The structure was built in 1920.



*** Clarence Street Bridge built in 1929



*** Buildings on



*** Buildings on



*** Houses on



*** All types of boats



Buildings on Charlotte Street. On the right is the Young Building, built in 1950.



St. James & St. Brendan Anglican Church, on Charlotte Street at King Street. The church was built in 1917.



Houses now used as businesses on Charlotte Street.



Port Colborne City Hall, on Charlotte Street.



The King George Inn, at Clarence & King Streets. The inn was originally a post office, and later was the city hall.



Houses on Catharine Street.



The Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum, on King Street. The museum was originally the John Williams House, and was built in 1861. It became a museum in 1974.



Ingleside, on King Street. The house was built in 1867 for Charles Carter.



A house on King Street.



Houses on Delhi Street.



A house on Catharine Street.



*** Looking up Clarence Street



A house on Welland Street.



The old Jacob North House, on Lake Road. The house was built in 1852 by Jacques "Jacob" North, a brewmaster who opened a brewery behind the house.



Buildings on Nickel Street.



The INCO Administrative Building, on Davis Street, looking up Nickel Street. INCO opened its nickel refinery here in 1918, and was the largest such refinery in the world at the time. Until 1995, the refinery included a 361-foot (110-meter) somkestack that was used by sailors to navigate to the Welland Canal from distant points on Lake Erie.



"Le Centre de Polyvalent des Aînes de Francophone de Port Polborne", or the Port Colborne Francophone Senior Centre, on Mitchell Street.



A house on Bell Street.



Houses and a bank on Killaly Street.



*** Saint-Jean-de-Brebeuf Roman Catholic Church, on Killaly Street. The parish established in 1951, after French Canadians moved to Port Colborne to work at INCO and other factories. The church was built in 1977.



The Vale Centre, on Elizabeth Street. The hockey arena and fitness center was built in 2012, and is home to the Niagara Whalers of the rebel Greater Metro Hockey League.













Along Clarence Street at West Street, locks for two of the old canals can be seen.



Along West Street, on the right, is Lock 27 for the second Welland Canal. The lock was built in the early 1850s. Next to it, on the left here, is Lock 26 of the third Welland Canal. It was built in the 1880s, and keeping the lock from the second canal allowed for two-way traffic. Both locks were the southernmost locks on their respective canals, with the second canal having 27 total locks, and the third canal having 26 total locks.



*** On the bulwark between the second and third Welland Canals is the pivot point for the Hopkins Swing Bridge, which carried traffic over the canal before the fourth canal was dug in the 1920s. The bridge connected West Street with the now-



*** On this section of the old canals is the Buffalo & Lake Huron Railway Bridge, built in the 1880s. This was a swing bridge that served the predecessor to the Canadian National Railway.



*** Imperial Bank, on West Street.



*** Clarence Street Lift Bridge, also known as Bridge 21



Because the Welland Canal plays an important part in connecting all of the Great Lakes to each other, and to the Atlantic Ocean, the canal is not just an important route for commerce, but also for the Canadian Navy. Naval ships can regularly be seen docked in Port Colborne.



Laker ships can typically be seen docked along the canal walls as well.



*** ship that passed through the bridge and is exiting into Lake Erie





*** Looking north towards the Island, which was formed when the fourth Welland Canal was completed. The old canal channels originally used a creek



Looking north at Lock 8, from the Clarence Street Bridge.







Houses on Catharine Street.



The Harvie House, on Catharine Street. The house was built in 1900.



*** ADM Flour Mill



The Stone House, on King Street. The house was built in 1835.



A Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, with a historical look dating back to the company's days in the 1970s or 1980s, on King Street.




















***




*** Robin Hood Flour Mill



*** Saint-Jean-de-Brebeuf Roman Catholic Church, on Killaly Street.



*** Buildings on West Street.



*** From the Clarence Street Bridge, you can see the neighborhood he Island



The Harvie House, on Catharine Street. The house was built in 1900.





The Charles Carter House, on West Street. The house was built in 1835 as the Lakeview Hotel, and was located at West & Sugarloaf Streets. It is a rare example of an original building from the first Welland Canal era. The hotel was moved in 1889 to its present location and turned into a residence.



*** Clarence Street Bridge Bridge No. 21



*** Clarence Street Bridge



Buildings on West Street.



*** West Street



*** Allied Marine, along the Welland Canal



*** King Street at Sugarloaf Street



*** Catharine Street 346



*** A Dairy Queen restaurant, on Main Street. The Dairy Queen



*** arena



*** Humberstone Town Hall, on Main Street at Mellanby Avenue.



*** Robin Hood Flour Mill



*** Tennessee Avenue Gates



*** inner lighthouse



*** outer lighthouse



*** ADM



The Old Mennonite Meeting House, on Killaly Street. The church was built in 1872, and was a Mennonite house of worship until the 1970s.



The Queen's Hotel, on Nickel Street.



*** Vale Refinery, in the International Nickel Company of Canada (INCO), at the end of Nickel Street.









%%%



%%%



%%%



%%%



%%%



%%%



%%% water level lower



%%% water level higher



%%%






$$$ bridge up



$$$



$$$



$$$ counterweight



$$$ bridge coming down

 
161 - 180 of 529 Posts
Top