SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
βAŇŇĘÐ
7,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Well I'm going to Hong Kong for 2 weeks to visit my Uncle, who I'll be staying with a few members of my family on Hong Kong Island I think. I thought I would get advice from those who know Hong Kong best as to what to do and see to get a "real" Hong Kong experience if you know what I mean. I'll be going on 27th of July by the way. Any advice and suggestions would be very much appreciated by me and I would value your opinions!

Thanks a lot

Rob

xxxx

:)

·
122,326 Posts
Weather-Proofing
Hong Kong gets extremely humid in the summer, so even though the temperature may sit at 30C or so, it feels much hotter on the streets. Add the exhaust from vehicles and air conditioners, I won't be surprised if it's actually 40C on the streets. Make sure you have a bottle of water with you and a moist towel. Take an air conditioning break per 20-30 minutes of exterior activity.

·
EiGhT 5 & tWo
4,142 Posts
In my opinion, Mong Kok would be one of mustsee place for you exploring the real HK, the entire Mong Kok is referred to as a mixture of old and modern.

If you want to get more tips before travelling to HK, you can click on this weblink www.discoverhongkong.com, which might help gather more latest information.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
I'll also be visiting for 3 weeks in mid August! My longest trip yet. Just have to survive exams.

I think everything is pretty much the HK experience. Have a look around Central on Hong Kong island where you can see the Bank of China and the signature skyline.

If it's your first time, a trip to the Peak might also be nice. I still go up even though I have been up at least 10 times. The best time is close to dusk, so you can take day and night shots.

Have a walk around Kowloon and some of the inner districts on the island.

You really cannot go wrong. Get some pamphlets at the airport, they usually have good maps in them.

·
βAŇŇĘÐ
7,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, also is language a big issue? I don't speak cantonese, but I'll try to learn some, seems rude not to I think.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
I wouldn't think so. The elderly I suppose are not too proficient at speaking English but there bilingual Chinese - English signs virtually everywhere.

Subway stops are announced in Cantonese, Mandarin and English (with a sexy Brit accent, I might add :drool: But you may be used to it, being from the UK.)

It's not easy to get lost on HK island. You can literally walk from one end to the other in a few hours (leisurely). Also the trams only have 1 route that traverses the entire island, I think. Subway stops are never far away either. Hong Kong island is really very small in area :)

Trams -- very cheap ($2 HKD / £0.14 GBP :) )
Average Frequency: 90 seconds

More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Tramways

Taking the MTR subway is fool proof

You don't really have to worry about safety either. Hong Kong is for the most part, very clean and safe.

If you are planning to use public transit extensively, you should look to get an Octopus card (smart card) that can be used to pay fare on all major forms of transport and can be used to buy the occasional snack. You basically pay a upfront and the dollar value will be stored on the card. I think you can get these at the Airport, subway stations and 7-11...
There are tourist passes too:
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_tourtickete.htm

Here are some great photo threads:

Kowloon by Kilgore Trout

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=343176

Hong Kong 2005 Superthread
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=235893

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
london-b, perheps you may check the thread "HONG KONG FOR TOURIST/VISITORS" on page 2 of this HK and Macau Forums for more details. :|

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Language is not a problem across most of Hong Kong as most of the street signs are also written in English, as well as on MTR and KCR.

If shopping is your thing, then here are some places you might wanna consider visiting:
The Landmark, Central
Pacific Place, Admiralty
Times Square, Causeway Bay
Sogo, Causeway Bay
Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui
Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
Langham Place, Mongkok
Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mongkok
Festival Walk, Kowloon Tong
APM, Kwun Tong

Then there's the usual places a tourist should visit, obviously The Peak and Avenue of Stars, TST (8pm at night for Symphony of Lights). Maybe Disneyland or Ocean Park as well. The markets down in Wan Chai are pretty fascinating as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts

london-b said:
Thanks guys, also is language a big issue? I don't speak cantonese, but I'll try to learn some, seems rude not to I think.
There are plenty of foreigners in Hong Kong (especially in tsim sha tsui where half the people look foreign) and ppl will not expect you to speak cantonese (if u dun look chinese anyway) and most ppl and virtually all the young generation are triligual (they all speak cantonese, mandarin and english, but the ability depends on where they go to school) and there r also many english speaking locals esp. in Hong Kong Island. It might be a good idea though if u have the addresses and info in chinese on a piece of paper or something to lower the risk that the taxi driver don't speak any english and to prevent u from getting lost otherwise have a brilliant trip and ur gonna love it!(though the weather in mid summer might suck abit)

·
Registered
252 Posts
also if ur looking for some night life, the famous Lan kwai Fong in central is the hottest spot in asia on thur-sat, packed with party animals, drinking bar to bar, then move ur way wydham street, hollywood road, with more than 4 dozens of clubs and many well-known ones around and possibly finish ur night by having a full course late supper in a chinese cafe at 4am, if u still want more, make ur way to the many afterparty clubs where there r more relaxing atmospheres where u can lie down on the lounge or keep partyin' til the DJ leaves at 9am.
If ur more of a beer person, try Wan Chai on fri-sat (but beware of the trannys that might seduce u) hundreds of pubs and bars, mainly westerners and english speaking locals, crazy yet friendly atmosphere and alot cheaper than Central.
If ur looking for some luxury life, Shop in Central, all the flagship stores, biggest louis Vuitton store outside paris, Landmark mall, IFC mall(tallest building in hk), Pacific Place, dim sum lunch at Dragon I(club at night, where beckham went when i was in hk!), high tea in Peninsula Hotel(one of the must), cocktail at Felix in Peninsula(top50 restaurant in the world), dinner in Aqua-1 Peking Road(best contemporary restaurant), clubbing at Volar(most exclusive club in hk), book a private yacht for wakeboarding(very popular amongst locals) or a boat party in the many seaside and beautiful beaches around Island South and Sai Kung (which could be suprisingly cheap)
anyway hope there's some useful information there:p

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
If ur looking for some luxury life, Shop in Central, all the flagship stores, biggest louis Vuitton store outside paris
Not to mention the largest Armani store outside of Milan ...

A tip on Lan Kwai Fong though; generally the crowd at Lan Kwai Fong tends to be more 'teenage' or young-ish. If you're middle aged and not really into clubbing anyway but prefer the bar/pub type set up, have a look at Wan Chai.

Ideally, you'd do both in a night (as we often do).

·
Registered
252 Posts
_00_deathscar said:
A tip on Lan Kwai Fong though; generally the crowd at Lan Kwai Fong tends to be more 'teenage' or young-ish. If you're middle aged and not really into clubbing anyway but prefer the bar/pub type set up, have a look at Wan Chai.
do u think so? i tend to see more tourist, westerners and black suited men businessmen in lan kwai fong, but it reli depends which bars/clubs you u go.

·
Registered
252 Posts
_00_deathscar said:
Not to mention the largest Armani store outside of Milan ...

Ideally, you'd do both in a night (as we often do).
o and also, if ur more into drinkin' there r tonnes of upstairs bars in Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui but those r more local but could be quite fun!

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
ricz said:
do u think so? i tend to see more tourist, westerners and black suited men businessmen in lan kwai fong, but it reli depends which bars/clubs you u go.
Yea it does depend - FONG's in Lan Kwai Fong for example is a very popular 'older' bar/club. But right next to it, the Apartment, is predominantly teen/younger.

There are plenty of places to cater for everyone, but do be careful where you go cuz naturally it's strange if you walk into a teen club.

Wan Chai is generally a safer bet though - although it doesn't have as many clubs.

·
Registered
252 Posts

_00_deathscar said:
Yea it does depend - FONG's in Lan Kwai Fong for example is a very popular 'older' bar/club. But right next to it, the Apartment, is predominantly teen/younger.

There are plenty of places to cater for everyone, but do be careful where you go cuz naturally it's strange if you walk into a teen club.

Wan Chai is generally a safer bet though - although it doesn't have as many clubs.
lol yeah but personally i prefer central/lankwai, the clubs are more mature there (drop, volar, suagar) but though sometimes the clubs r reli uptight, and very expensive lol. I see Wanchai more of a touristy boozing spot but lan kwai fong is quite touristy too lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts