SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 830 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, these pics are amazing! :yes: But I kind of doubt that Genoa has "the biggest historical center in Europe"! If the term "historical" refers to medieval buildings, then I'm sure there are cities with larger medieval cores preserved (Venice, for instance)!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, these pics are amazing! :yes: But I kind of doubt that Genoa has "the biggest historical center in Europe"! If the term "historical" refers to medieval buildings, then I'm sure there are cities with larger medieval cores preserved (Venice, for instance)!
Genoa was surely the biggest historical center. A lot of old buildings was destroyed during the bombing of the city in the Second War and other was demolished due to property speculation :eek:hno:

·
User
11,213 Posts
Some pic from the narrow streets of the old town:

Tower Grimaldina

Piazza del Ferro

Palazzo Spinola:

San Giovanni di Prè

·
Registered
246 Posts
Genoa has some beautiful architecture, but it desperately needs major clean up and renovation - that was my impression of the city anyway

·
User
11,213 Posts
^^You are quite right, even if i don't find the situation so "desperate". Genoa has a big historic heritage (probably not commonly known), from the middle ages and from the 16th - 17th century (mannerism and baroque) in particular. A lot of monuments are well kept, others need more restoration (like a lot of medieval houses of the old town) but it is a really interesting town even as it is now. Then i think it is a beautiful town also outside the historical center but it's not theme for this topic.

something else from middle ages:
San Donato bell tower

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7remo/

via Pré, the Commenda di San Giovanni

an exemple of restoration needed (i don't know the age of this), the old town is full of buildings like this:

·
User
11,213 Posts
Passage under the bell tower of "Santa Maria delle Vigne" church

by Alessio Sbarbaro User_talk:Yoggysot from Wikimedia Commons

·
User
11,213 Posts
Walk on the ancient "Barbarossa" walls

di User:F.noceti ([1]), da Wikimedia Commons

1 - 20 of 830 Posts