SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
^^ I understand what you mean Phil it does always seam to be ochre's and browns and creams. The black concrete pillars also seem to be signature in a number of his buildings. For me though walking up the signature spiral staircase at the lighthouse and then the reveal as you walk out onto the terrace give it an enormous sense of place. I also want to know where the stone comes from for the terrace at the lighthouse as I want some for my garden!!
they say that bawa's main trait was just that!..spatial progression...or how spaces flow on to the other...in any bawa building you will probably feel this.
terrace stones? granite?

Some very interesting observations about Bawa's work. I certainly agree with jaybobs view, I like the continuity in his work. Continuity between spaces, between indoors and outdoors, between light and darkness etc. Very creative.

Any criticism if at all I can think of is, his work was always based on perspcetives, straight lines etc. There is rarely any curves, rounds, spheres etc. So dispite being passive and reflective his work is still very masculine in nature. ie. extremely space conscious and aesthetic but not necessarily elegant or 'fertile'. Traditional Sri Lankan architecture had lot of curves and spheres.

But then you cant ask for everything in a design, every creator has his own style.

Anyone know in detail about his bioclimatic design?
Having trees hanging around the building is in fact a brilliant ideas to cool down the structure in tropical country thus avoiding the use of air conditioner. Other than that the use of "marmar" stone also cool down the structure.
Never been to Kandalama's. Will do one day (cross-finger).
(p/s: the plants look like a hanging garden in Mt Gambier sink hole. This hanging garden reminds me of geoffrey bawa's design. Superb!)

I am not entirely sure, but there may be the use of thermal mass in a lot of Bawa's design. For example, all the waters ponds do well in climates such as Sri Lankas. The waters + concrete have high thermal storage capacity, that is to say in the day time, the waters + concrete walls will absorb the sun's heat, and in the night time, it will redistributed it.

This is good, because it cools the building in day time, and heats it in the night time.

I would also guess that he has used orientation of his building to both improve the ventilation in the buildings + the use of sun. Doesn't it seem like he uses quite a bit of natural lighting?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.