Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a thread for the new George Brown waterfront campus...

http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=807d017347ad143cef610416a19bdf2b82ecc541&projectid=9085967&region=ontario

COLLEGE CAMPUS DEVELOPMENT Const manager Proj: 9085967-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON TENDERS DUE
George Brown College, Waterfront Campus Development, within the East Bayfront Precinct of the City of Toronto, M5V Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:00
009-WF01 $50,000,000 est extn
Start: September, 2009
Note: PROPOSALS will be received by Owner.

Request For Proposals to request parties providing full construction management services to submit proposals to be the Construction Manager for GBC's Waterfront Campus Development. GBC is seeking a partnership with a CM to ensure that the College achieves its timing, quality and value for money objectives for the Project. More info can be obtained by calling 1-800-964-6379.

PROPOSALS due time and date has been extended from Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:00.

Project: to prepare for and construct a new 300,000-350,000 sq ft academic Health Sciences Building.

Scope: 350,000 square feet; 8 storeys
Development: New
Category: Educational bldgs

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a rendering...

Per below, the campus will be home to a $100 million, 500-student campus residence and an athletic centre as well - sweet!

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id28908

George Brown College plans new health sciences campus on Toronto waterfront

The plan for the $90-million George Brown project calls for the campus to open in 2011. The facility will provide 4,000 additional educational spaces for students of nursing and other health-related programs.

The $90-million waterfront campus will be located on a 0.83 hectare (two-acre) parcel of land located on the south side of Queens Quay Boulevard, between Lower Jarvis and Lower Sherbourne streets.

The site will also be home to a $100 million, 500-student campus residence and an athletic centre.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I wonder if the athletic facilities will be open to the public?

It's good to see an Ontario college finally transition out of the 1970s.

Kettal, I'm not sure what you mean about George Brown transitioning out of the 1970's. Of all the colleges in the City I think George Brown has done a great job of providing students with top notch facilities (excluding Casa Loma campus). This design is a little underwhelming, a little to CORUS like if you ask me. They could have done something a bit more fun. The positive though will be having students down there along with the creative minds at CORUS, it should be a nice vibe.

George Brown may become a larger school then Ryerson at this rate.

·
Registered
649 Posts
George Brown College ready to break ground for new waterfront campus

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../16/c5881.html

TORONTO, Sept. 16 /CNW/ - With today's announcement of EllisDon Corporation as the construction management partner for its new campus in the heart of Toronto's waterfront redevelopment, George Brown College is now fully supported in its effort to build a dynamic new home overlooking Lake Ontario. All the elements are now in place to aggressively move forward with excavation of the site, slated to begin in late October.

EllisDon, a Canadian-owned construction engineering and project management firm, joins the wider team of architects and designers that will support the expansion of the college as it enters one of the most dynamic periods of expansion in its history.

The groundbreaking is just one in a series of key milestones in the campus development over the next 60 days. The college and its architectural joint venture partner Stantec Architecture/KPMB kicked off the process by presenting their preliminary design concepts to the Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel this morning. They will also be engaging in a series of stakeholder meetings over the coming months and will be seeking Toronto City Council approval of the project in October.

"With the project, design and construction teams now in place, George Brown College's new campus is on an accelerated path to completion," said Anne Sado, president of George Brown College. "We are a matter of weeks away from beginning construction of a state-of-the-art facility that will help students study in one of the city's most beautiful, modern and relevant learning environments."...

Link to Star's article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/696953

There was also a render in today's Sun paper.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
George Brown College ready for first waterfront phase in Toronto

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id35543?search_term=waterfront%20toronto

George Brown College ready for first waterfront phase in Toronto

But water-saturated excavation will provide a challenge

PATRICIA WILLIAMS

staff writer

Toronto’s George Brown College is gearing up to get a shovel in the ground by late October on the estimated $175 million first phase of its new waterfront campus.

Designed to house the college’s growing Centre for Health Sciences, the project is being undertaken by a team that includes the architectural joint venture of Stantec Architecture/KPMB Architects and construction manager EllisDon.

Substantial completion of the LEED Gold health sciences building is targeted for March, 2011.

“It’s an extremely aggressive schedule,” says Eugene Harrigan, the college’s vice-president of corporate services.

The building will be among the first in Canada to be purpose-built for inter-professional healthcare learning, a cross-disciplinary approach to education in the health sciences that mirrors the current transformation of healthcare delivery in the province.

The campus will sit lakeside on two blocks of land just south of the St. James campus, on Queen’s Quay between lower Sherbourne and lower Jarvis streets. The health sciences project is being fast-tracked.

Terry Comeau, executive director of the waterfront campus development project, said the building’s “elegant and complex” design will take advantage of views of the new Sherbourne Park to the east as well as a promenade overlooking the water’s edge.

Aside from providing additional facilities for the college, the project also is expected to play a pivotal role in the revitalization of the waterfront, providing the new East Bayfront community with a new public landmark and year-round student life.

The campus will include classrooms, labs, lecture theatres, student support services, food services, a bookstore and clinics that will be open to the public. Community access is an important component of the project, Harrigan said.

From a construction perspective, building on the waterfront poses its share of challenges, said Comeau, a registered architect and LEED-accredited professional with 25 years of experience.

Those challenges include a high water table.

“We will be conducting the excavations in water-saturated conditions over the winter months.”

Excavation is slated to get under way in late October. Subtrade tenders for shoring and excavation have already been called. Foundation work is to begin in 2010.

The project will add 3,500 student spaces and free up room across the college’s existing campuses to allow for greater capacity in other high-growth programs, such as construction and apprenticeship.

EllisDon senior vice-president and area manager Bruno Antidormi said his company, a long-time employer of George Brown College graduates, is pleased to be partnering with the college on the project.

The provincial government has invested $61.5 million in the project while the federal government is contributing $30 million through its Knowledge Infrastructure Program.

Comeau said the remainder of the funding will come from other sources, including the college, Waterfront Toronto and fundraising.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What's going to happen to the old campus at Dufferin/Dupont area? You know the one just south of Casa Loma.
They're going to tear it down and turn it into a parking lot ;)

Or, more likely it'll continue in it's current function of being a college.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
George Brown College Construction Begins

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/newsletter/viewnewsletter.php?id=4b213fad699be&template=5

Construction has begun on George Brown College’s new waterfront campus in East Bayfront. Workers are preparing the site for construction by drilling caissons — concrete columns that are part of the deep foundations work for the building. When caisson drilling is complete, crews will begin to dig the four-storey deep hole necessary for the building’s foundation.

The Health Sciences Campus scheduled to open September 2012 is expected to bring 3,500 full-time and 1,500 part-time students to the waterfront adding vitality to the area year-round. The new campus spans two city blocks from Lake Ontario in the south to Queens Quay in the north, between Richardson and Lower Sherbourne streets.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Great video. Love your musical selections. :lol:
That was royalty free music. (I got it off a free site and we all know you get what you pay for)

I always have a problem with music. First, I don't have very much on my computer but even if I did, I always get in trouble with Youtube for using copyrighted music. I got some royalty free music from a few sites but it's pretty limited and it's hard to find music to match the video. Of course, I can just not put any music but it always seems to lack something without music. Have you heard with weird shit Youtube offers, with their music swap? Not much interesting on there but I might use it if I could find some ok stuff.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I like your choice in music, which definitely adds to the videos. You can always use the same music for more than one video, especially the piece for the Lightbox vid. Maybe one day you can teach me how to shoot and edit videos too. Cheers.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
George Brown College Urban Health Sciences Campus, Toronto, Canada

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=13610

New campus brings healthy vibe to waterfront revitalisation
George Brown College’s new 27,870 sq m urban health sciences campus will occupy a prominent site at the intersection of a major new urban waterfront park and Lake Ontario. This new campus recognises the shift in healthcare services from isolated medical functions toward an integrated delivery of care. The overarching vision of the campus is to realise an inter-professional education delivery model through the creation of an environment where students from different professional programs can learn with, from and about each other to understand the importance of collaboration and its impact on quality of care. As one of the first major initiatives on the waterfront, the design must comply with rigorous urban design guidelines, inclusive of street level animation and aiming for LEED® Gold Certification.

The design optimises the lakefront site, drawing on waterfront typologies from pier buildings and industrial lofts creating a new paradigm of health sciences education. A highly flexible academic ‘loft’ bar building anchors the west side of the site. To the south and east, the building steps downward by means of articulated park pavilions. The highly transparent façade expresses the program, maximises view and connection to and from the adjacent park and lake.

A fluid ‘learning landscape’ is embodied within the building section creating a legible vertical circulation from ground plane to accessible green roofs. With its views to the lake and park, these informal gathering spaces are the physical manifestation of the inter-professional education model, providing the opportunity to nurture inter-program collaboration. The transparent podium houses public program components further elevating the project’s vision to become an intercommunity education model.

The campus is envisioned as a ‘living lab’ structured to promote innovative client service models and products that emphasise wellness and health promotion. Conceived as a highly transparent, vertically integrated campus, it is defined by its public connectivity and reinforces an environment of wellness that capitalises on its prime waterfront location.

This project is a joint collaboration between Stantec Architecture and Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg - Architects in Joint Venture

·
ビール大好き&#
599 Posts
Does anyone actually believe that there will be boats moored along the quay? Students could rent houseboats for cheap rent....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts