SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 914 Posts

·
22,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The protests and riots in the USA are getting crazy, however I feel they have been building from people not being listened to about what's happened and have essentially just snapped.

The question is, can this be brought under control?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The situation is terrible with so much anger, frustration and violence out on the streets. The excessive selective police brutality to black Americans is a festering sore. Now we have anarchists and looters taking advantage and inflaming the chaos and Trump seems to just increase the division engulfing his nation. Hopefully things will begin to calm down soon.

·
Environmental Busybody
10,018 Posts
Considering we've had 400 Aboriginal deaths in custody since the 1991 royal commission into aboriginal deaths in custody, how about we talk about ourselves in this context?

A bit surprised at you KJ, on top of what I've just said, do we really need another US focussed discussion in here?

·
22,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than happy to talk about ourselves; however I didn't start this thread until there were additional newsworthy actions that made it more than just a black death at the hands of police, which happens far too regularly.

We have talked about local indigenous issues when they have blown up also, so I don't know if this is any different, is it? Is this not newsworthy enough for its own thread?

·
22,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But CNN is fake news, so he was obviously lying. /s

·
22,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that people should've listened to the protests before they became insane (decades worth), but unfurtunately this didn't happen.

What is your solution L2?

·
6,356 Posts
Riots are inevitable when a populace fell ignored and feel like they have nothing left to loose. Peaceful protesters were belittled by the Republicans - remember Pence mocking people for taking a knee during the national anthem? In the minds of the protesters, they are out of options.

Floyd was just a catalyst, the tension was already there.

I think a scary difference between this time round and the countless other horrendous acts by police over the past few years is now the economy is crashing into depression. History has shown that mass unemployment coupled with social tension rarely ends well.

·
22,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Floyd was just a catalyst, the tension was already there.
This 100%, and coupled with the fact that there is no room for an excuse with this one. He wasn't armed, he wasn't resisting, there is even mixed reports as to if he was the right guy.
1 police officer has been charged. Not the guys that stood there while it was happening, just the one, and only after many days. It's a bit of a powder keg in the USA at the moment and only time will tell what's going to happen.

Also, lol at Mike Pence calling for peaceful protests when he was openly disparaging previous peaceful protests on the exact same issue.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I’ll start this by agreeing that the death was absolutely inexcusable, the police officer should be found guilt of murder and that protests are definitely justified.

The rioting and looting is disgustingly opportunistic and detracts from what is a an important protest.

However the stats simply don’t back up the fact that police only target innocent black people. While there are some obvious isolated incidents there is not a trend of white cops killing black people.

I understand the anger and frustration at people being unnecessarily killed by the police but the riot baiting media should be trying to tell the truth here. It’s sad as many people, including black people, are having their livelihoods seriously affected by this.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,392 Posts
I’ll start this by agreeing that the death was absolutely inexcusable, the police officer should be found guilt of murder and that protests are definitely justified.

The rioting and looting is disgustingly opportunistic and detracts from what is a an important protest.

However the stats simply don’t back up the fact that police only target innocent black people. While there are some obvious isolated incidents there is not a trend of white cops killing black people.

I understand the anger and frustration at people being unnecessarily killed by the police but the riot baiting media should be trying to tell the truth here. It’s sad as many people, including black people, are having their livelihoods seriously affected by this.
black people targeted, i think the chronology is mixed and there exists a stereotype

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
A few things about the "stats" posted above.

1. It says "shot to death" not killed. It therefore excludes deaths, like Floyds, that are caused by the police but were not a shooting.
2. It is in absolute numbers and not on a per capita basis. Look at that chart again while keeping in mind that in the US the black population is less than 15% of the total population.
3. It does not differentiate between people who were shot because they were violent towards police and the police responded accordingly, and those who posed no threat. It doesn't even differentiate between those who were armed when they were shot and those who weren't.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I’m glad some people understand comparative statistics (seems to go missing for Covid) however I was just using a simple number to illustrate that cops don’t just kill black people and that there highly unlikely a systematic targeting of black people.

1 - 20 of 914 Posts