SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone catch the National News (I think it was ABC) the other night and see the special they had on Georgias' huge influx of Latin-Americans? It seems this state, along with other Southern states are booming with illegal aliens. Some towns in the North Georgia mountains above Atlanta have majority Latino population now. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
PARAPHRASE: "Give me your weak, poor, hungry, etc." We are a nation of immigrants. I do however wish something could be done so they wouldn't have to come illegally. They are only coming to make a better life for themselves; the truly sad part of this is that the last superpower in the world has a 3rd world country next to it! Hopefully, Mexico can get it's act together so it's people wouldn't have to leave to live a decent life.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nic, I totally agree^^^
Also, its nice to see "other" faces in the Southeast besides just black and white, especially in the rural areas .

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
i hope it makes jawr-jah a better place.

-

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Im all for immigration. Legaly. Pay into taxes like I have to and theres no problem. The more the merrier, but when people come here illeagly I say toss em back and build a taller fence with higher voltage,rabid dogs patrolling, cut outs of anna nicole before trim spa and play recordings of ashlee simpson over loudspeakers to deter any would be illeagls.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have absolutely nothing against immigrants from Mexico or anywhere else but something HAS to be done to bring the borders under control or it will come back to haunt us in the end.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
scguy said:
Did anyone catch the National News (I think it was ABC) the other night and see the special they had on Georgias' huge influx of Latin-Americans? It seems this state, along with other Southern states are booming with illegal aliens. Some towns in the North Georgia mountains above Atlanta have majority Latino population now. What are your thoughts?
I know that the big carpet mill towns like Dalton have very large Latino populations. But, up in the mountains I can't imagine what type of industry exists.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Also, parts of Gwinnett already remind me so much of California because of all the Latin and Asian businesses. Both groups had population explosions in Gwinnett from 1990 -2000 of something like 200%. I know the last few times I went into the B of A branch near Gwinnett Mall, the black and white people together were a small minority.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
^^I think that what happens is that as Latinos and Asians that live along the Buford Highway Corridor in North Dekalb county begin to succeed, they follow Buford Highway north into the southwestern areas of Gwinnett county. Pretty much all the way up to Gwinnett Mall.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
as long as they speak english or at least try to learn it, then bienvenidos. the language issue/barrier is more of an issue with me than the situation with illegals.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i've worked a lot of construction the past few years with plenty of hispanics. its so frustrating when they can't speak english at all. and its not because they just moved here. No, most of the people i knew had been in the states for at least 10-15 years

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
I know that the big carpet mill towns like Dalton have very large Latino populations. But, up in the mountains I can't imagine what type of industry exists.
Most work in the Poultry industry, I think this is the reason why the Gainesville area has a very large Latino population. As for other towns like Cornelia, which I was in not too long ago and was astounded by the huge presence of Latinos, Im not sure.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I'm learning spanish, so the least they can do is learn english, lol. But english is a much harder language, and pretty different, as far as some things go. But yeah, that and the illegal thing really bothers me.

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
i think they need to learn english simply becasue it is the dominant language. they can keep their own language - it just makes it easier for everyone if one language is used. spanish/english mix as it is. most people know what 'de' means and they now use words such as 'tshirt' and 'weekend.'

i really do not like the immigration controls. i think they need to be lightened up to allow more people into this country. that's just me. i do hate people who are here illegaly. it is not a matter of not wanting them here, its just a matter of i want the goverment to know who is here and have a general idea what in the heck they are doing, if anything.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
There's an old joke: If you speak three languages...you're trilingual, if you speak two languages...you're bilingual, if you speak one language...you're an American!

My main problem with some people who come to the US and speak Spanish is that they speak SPANISH so poorly and with so much slang that it's almost impossible to understand what they're saying. But, there's no doubt that much of the growth that will occur in the South will be Spanish speakers.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Nick in Atlanta said:
^^I think that what happens is that as Latinos and Asians that live along the Buford Highway Corridor in North Dekalb county begin to succeed, they follow Buford Highway north into the southwestern areas of Gwinnett county. Pretty much all the way up to Gwinnett Mall.
All those people didn't come from Buford highway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
miss fire. anyway, i think that the hispanics can enhance our country with their culture and definitely with their work ethic. i do have a problem with the language barrier. we live in the united states of america. we speak english here. good for you if you are fluent in spanish, it will help you, but we speak english here. i get disgusted when i see an option of spanish vs english. if the us had a mass migration to another country for some reason, wouldn't they expect us to learn their language? i speak english. no mater how complicated the basics of it is, that is our language. i am not going to cater to another one in my own back yard. i feel that they should either learn our language or go somewhere else.

my political preference should reflect the above.
demo or repub?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts