10,360 Posts

·
Registered
10,360 Posts

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One of the things i was very interested to see is how German cities compared to British ones, and others i had been to around the world, especially with reference to how they were bombed and their redevelopment after the war. Seeing what was left, what was restored and what quality it was restored to. With this in mind Southampton is an interesting place because it does have at times a very disjointed feel between modern developments and the medieval character of alot fo the city center. It seems most of the buildings from the industrial revolution and empire times have been lost in Southmaptons city center, with more preservation of the medieval buildings.

This grand building reminded me of ones in Liverpool and London

P5111844 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Anyone who knows of the Titanic will be interested to know this building was the White Star Lines offices during the disaster

P5111846 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P5111847 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A row of exclectic styles on the edge of teh docks

P5111848 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Was trying to get to the top of the car park to get a better view fo the ship but couldnt, anyway this was quite a smart car park with little units on the ground floor for boat storage etc. Always pleases me when such mundane buildings are given a bit of style and extra functionality

P5111851 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Unfortunately the glory days of 1st class customers travling by rail to the station on the right, and then staying overnight in the hotel on the left have long gone, but you can still feel the history of a bygone age.

P5111853 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

·
Registered
10,360 Posts

·
I am the passenger
5,580 Posts
Southampton looks nice. I mean, I find many English cities dark, gray and sad and here it looks a little bit more like France or something. I'm waiting for the Germany!

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
More buildings incorporated in to the city walls

P5111864 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

A trip on the Hythe Ferry, gives a good view as you pass the cruise terminal and very cheap, unfortunately the weather changed.

P5111869 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Hythe pier, aparently one of the top 10 longest in the UK and the oldest operating train on a pier in the world, and not much more exciting than it sounds! Was still a pretty authentic experiance though there really isnt anything in Hythe, other than a small shopping street and a couple of quaint houses

P5111878 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 532 Posts