SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2708 Posts

·
Endorsed by the NRA
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I also included cities which were German back then but are now located in other countries. Anyway, enjoy these pics

Berlin

Dresden

Leipzig

Breslau/Wroclaw

Stettin/Szczecin

München (Munich)

Freiburg

Hamburg

Karlsruhe

Magdeburg

Halle

Danzig/Gdansk

Bremen

Frankfurt am Main

Hannover

Braunschweig (Brunswick)

Kassel

Lübeck

Königsberg/Kaliningrad

Bonn

Köln (Cologne)

Düsseldorf

Straßburg/Strasbourg

·
28,089 Posts
are these coloured photos?

·
Urban Designer
1,150 Posts
Its absolutely heartbreaking that so many of these beautiful cityscapes have been destroyed and so many rich and beautiful places are now gone. However, when I look at old photos, like these and those from elsewhere, which show similar destruction I realise it is losses like these that have been necessary to teach us in Europe that peace is the only way in Europe.

Nevertheless, we have lost some treasures and we must maintain our heritage from now on. Britain has been terrible in the past. We have destroyed whole cities without the help of war, in the name of modernisation and those places still suffer. No intellectual planners academics and architects can fight the basic fact that human beings like beautiful, complex places with a soul, heritage and are well loved and looked after. We must learn from our mistakes!

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
First of all congratulations Kampflamm for showing us these beautiful cityscapes :applause:
Secondly I would like to say that I feel very sad seeing the heritage that Germany lost,it's simple unbelievable to see what happened to those fantastic and rich cities... :cry:
btw Is there any vintage like these you posted above showing Berliner Dom?
I love that building!!!

·
Bonsoir l'Europe!
765 Posts
WOW. THANK you SO Much. :) They are verye very amazing, thank you. :)

·
Streetwalker
7,025 Posts
WOW!

Well done Kampflamm! It would have taken a lot of work to put this fine thread together and I for one really appreciate the effort you put in. :)

The other day I picked up off my brother the Loney Planet Guide for Germany and have been reading it everyday going to and from work. My brother had the book when he was working in Germany for a while a couple of years ago.

Reading the guide and seeing these images helps put a lot of things into perspective. Especially when the guide makes mention to certain buildings destroyed in the war and are now being reconstructed. :)

Germany is a top place and hopefully Kampflamm will show us more of past and present. :)

·
Banned
28 Posts
EXCELLENT PHOTOGRAPHS , OUTSTANDING EFFORT

BRAVISSIMO , KAMPFLAMM ! I NEVER CAME ACROSS SOMETHING OF THIS KIND IN MY LIFE BEFORE . TRUE , I WAS ABLE TO SEE LITHOGRAPHS OF CITYSCAPES IN SOME BOOKS BUT NEVER QUITE LIKE THESE CHARMING , HAND-TINTED WORKS OF ART WHICH IS ACTUALLY HISTORY FROZEN THROUGH TIME . I MARVEL AT THE CRISPNESS , CONTRAST AND DEPTH IMBUED BY THESE IMAGES . ONE COULD ALSO NOTE THE GOOD ATMOSPHERIC QUALITY DURING THOSE TIMES AS THE MEANS OF TRANSPORT WERE NOT AUTOMOBILES BUT ELECTRIC STREET CARS AS WELL AS HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGES . SIMPLY AMAZING ! IF IT' S ALL POSSIBLE , I EAGERLY LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF THESE SPLENDID MATERIAL IN YOUR FUTURE POSTINGS. SHEER OUTSTANDING EFFORT , INDEED !! :) THERENNAISSANCEMAN

·
Streetwalker
7,025 Posts
WOW again for the second time. Magnificent collection. :)

·
Administrator
16,243 Posts
Even if I think Benmabillon is very overreacting, Alsatians often consider being called German as an insult.

·
Administrator
16,243 Posts
Giri said:
The Alsacians got their revenge : we're unable to pronounce the names of their towns. I persist to believe we should give back Elsass-Lothringen and invade Wallonia.

Rofl; Give back Alsace to Germany and Corsica to Italy then. Othwise that's not fair.

We should get Wallonia, Aoste, Quebec and the French speaking Switzerland. We could also get Brussels while we're at it. ;)

·
Endorsed by the NRA
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alsatians often consider being called German as an insult.
That may be true but then again I didn't call today's Alsacians German (they have French passports after all). Fact of the matter is though that this thread contains pics of Germany at the end of the 19th century and regardless of whether benmabillon likes it or not, Strasbourg was a German city back then.

1 - 20 of 2708 Posts