SkyscraperCity banner

2841 - 2860 of 2864 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Berlin

(source)

(source)​

This rotonda, as I understand, was erected in 1913. It was the last of the five panorama rotondas in Berlin, and the only one to be built in the 20th century. It had the address Bismarckstraße 92-95, and housed a painting by Hugo Ungewitter and Gustav Wendling depicting Blücher's crossing of the Rhein at Kaub in 1814. It was demolished in 1915, and later replaced by the Piccadilly Theatre (Fritz Wilms, 1925), itself destroyed by Allied bombing and replaced by a housing project.

Here's an extra, if you ever wonder what those curious buildings looked like in the inside:

(my scan from Berliner Panoramen der Kaiiserzeit by Astrid Weidauer; I highly recommend it if you're interested in this topic)​

This one shows the painting as it was being first worked on for the Industry and Commerce Exhibition of Düsseldorf in 1902.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm sorry I cannot help much. I think your best bet would be fo find out which survey those pictures were taken for, and trying to get the list of cities involved in it. I'm guessing it's part of the same photoset as other aerial photos of German cities (Berlin, Dresden, Schneidemühl, etc.) which can be found in Bildindex, taken around the same time (1940-1942), as part of the same project.

I say so because, for example, the same page contains another set of pictures taken as part of a specific task (I'm takling about that wonderful set of colour shots of interiors, which include the Ordenspalais, the Berliner Stadtschloss and the Potsdamer Stadtschloss, among others, taking as part of a state effort around 1944 to document artworks in danger because of the war).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Berlin

I'm sorry I cannot give a source for this one, I found it among my saved pictures and so far have been unable to find the page I downloaded it from. Google image search wasn't helpful.

Here's what the area (Schöneberg) )looks like, taken from Google Earth.

As you can see, some blocks have survived almost intact.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sorry I cannot help much. I think your best bet would be fo find out which survey those pictures were taken for, and trying to get the list of cities involved in it. I'm guessing it's part of the same photoset as other aerial photos of German cities (Berlin, Dresden, Schneidemühl, etc.) which can be found in Bildindex, taken around the same time (1940-1942), as part of the same project.

I say so because, for example, the same page contains another set of pictures taken as part of a specific task (I'm takling about that wonderful set of colour shots of interiors, which include the Ordenspalais, the Berliner Stadtschloss and the Potsdamer Stadtschloss, among others, taking as part of a state effort around 1944 to document artworks in danger because of the war).
Thanks for the reply! It looks like part of the aerial survey to document German cities from above as/before they were getting destroyed in the war. I've categorized tens of thousands of photos of pre-war German cities & towns in an effort to recreate as clear a picture as possible as to what they looked like before the ruination of war and Modernism. I'm pretty sure the three aerials of that church were mis-labeled as Muenster and are from another town/city.

As you known, some churches are dubbed a "Muenster" (as in a Minster in England) and that's why it got mistakenly lumped in with Muenster-i-W. photos. Since there were thousands of churches and streets like this in pre-war Germany, my only hope is that someone recognizes it.

·
5,177 Posts
Horrible view today. Everything you can make wrong in urban planning/architecture Cologne had made it between the 50's and 70's. And as a result you can walk through one of Europe's ugliest cities. Apart from some nice streets in newer quarters (Friesisches Viertel, Belgisches Viertel) (Belle Epoque) you'll only see dirt, crime (Ebertplatz, Domtreppen) and one architectural disaster after an other.

Unfortunately, the people of Cologne have also lost all sense of beauty, because no one seems to be seriously bothered by it.
They rather beat up their favorite arch-enemy Düsseldorf, whose cityscape is a thousand times more beautiful.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think you guys are too harsh on Cologne. Ugly is not an appropriate word in my opinion. Cologne to any casual observer unaware of how it looked prior to WWII is certainly not ugly. I found the city to be fun and lively and kinda cosmopolitan. Yes, it does not have the historical beauty of many other European cities, but ugly is not fair I think. It's just a shame when you're clued in to how much was lost and not rebuilt, but I think most of what is there while not beautiful is also not ugly (like for instance commie blocks which I abhor).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you guys are too harsh on Cologne. Ugly is not an appropriate word in my opinion. Cologne to any casual observer unaware of how it looked prior to WWII is certainly not ugly. I found the city to be fun and lively and kinda cosmopolitan. Yes, it does not have the historical beauty of many other European cities, but ugly is not fair I think. It's just a shame when you're clued in to how much was lost and not rebuilt, but I think most of what is there while not beautiful is also not ugly (like for instance commie blocks which I abhor).
Cologne is one ugly city, you simply can’t deny it. I wish Cologne would be more invested in allowing projects with new traditional architecture to replace blocks of outdated and dilapidated “modern” architecture.

·
Got Fachwerk?
1,534 Posts
I think the central shopping streets are very lively, more so than any other place in Germany that I can think of. That alone makes them quite nice. But yes, apart from some of the remaining historical landmarks, I find Cologne to be very ugly. However, judging by the Cologne Projects thread, there are actually a lot of really nice construction projects around there now.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Architecturally, Cologne is just aggressively dull. It isn't as offensively ugly as some other German cities, largely because its urban planning is still half-decent. It was quite gorgeous once, though.

2841 - 2860 of 2864 Posts