SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow forumers!

well, i wil be heading to a conference in the next few days,
one is in berlin, and one in venice, italy.

so, i just felt it would be wise to ask you all a few questions.

i will be arriving in frankfurt, and ive booked to rent a car. i am planning to drive to berlin, stay for 3-4 days, then drive to venice, stay for anothhre 3-4 days, and then go back to frankfurt through switzerland for my return flight.

a few questions:

1) is this a good idea? to drive all this way? the total is about 3000 km, and ive driven that far before. I plan to view switzerland heavily, so thats why i wanted the car. Or should i just take the train to italy and then book a car in italy, or switzerland, and look around there?
Because i know that the europass is quite expensive...and the total for car rental is 500 euros.

2) any other general tourist areas to see in berlin ( i know there must be lots ;))? i know of the wall, the europa center, and the Kurfurstendamm shopping district.

3) ive heard of this "environmental protection areas" in germany, and that i need a sticker for the car. im renting one from Sixt car rental, do you think they have the sticker already on the car? i mean, the should...shouldnt they? loll

4) any good restaurants? my hotel is near the corner of Leipziger Str. and WilhelmstraBe st. any good places to eat (breakfast, lunch, dinner) in and around the area? or in berlin in general?

thank you in advance! that will be all for now :)
any replies would be greatly appreciated!

-mahdii

·
Registered
54 Posts
id rather fly to berlin, you dont need a car there, then fly to Venice, there you can rent a car and drive to switzerland easily.
Not all the rentalcompanies allow to go to italy with their cars, be careful, concerning the environmentsticker, im almost sure this is no prob and the europcars do have them...

·
überall zuhause
7,110 Posts
^^ he posted also in the swiss section.

he´s in venice first

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^
actually, im in berlin first :p

but my return flight is from frankfurt...so i have to return the car there.

i thought that you can drive wherever you want in EU?

·
überall zuhause
7,110 Posts
^^ italy is a not a very safe country (but the north much more than the south)

check the car sharing details from your provider, they surely have interesting terms for your trip you may have to know

btw: I would stay in Liechtenstein/Vorarlberg for refueling and eating when you change from Swiss to Germany

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^
yea?

hmm, well i checked on the sixt website and it says its fine to travel with the car to many countries, including italy, switzerland, and autsria so i think it will be ok.

and i think i will do just that, that would be intersting actually, then stay the night in zurich...

:) thanks for the info

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
When in Berlin, don't park the car in the district Kreuzberg. Somebody might set fire on it. Especially if it is a rather new car.

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
A car trip is a good idea actually. I love travelling this way, you get a lot to see (esp. when driving apart the main highways/roads and take the country roads).

What kind of conferences are you going to visit?

·
Premium member
9,980 Posts
Driving sound better than flying IMO. Much more interesting. But be aware that there might be huge traffic jams toward Italy because of summer vacation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
^^ italy is a not a very safe country (but the north much more than the south)
Italy is considered to be among the "safe" EU-countries, as there are much worse ones in the east now... :lol:

In folgende Länder darf eingereist werden, allerdings nicht mit Fahrzeugen der Marken Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW, Porsche und Jaguar, sowie allen Jeeps und Offroadern:
Estland, Kroatien, Lettland, Litauen, Polen, Slowakei, Slowenien, Tschechien, Ungarn.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Dunno, I'd say an alternative would be flying Frankfurt - Berlin and Berlin - Venice (if you don't want to do a longer stop-over). On the way back, you could take a train from Venice to Switzerland (via Milan) and travel the country on public transport as the Swiss pt is just superb. And finally, go by train to Frankfurt Airport.

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
Going through Switzerland per train is indeed superb, but he'd miss a lot if he can't move individually.

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A car trip is a good idea actually. I love travelling this way, you get a lot to see (esp. when driving apart the main highways/roads and take the country roads).

What kind of conferences are you going to visit?
Computer assisted radiology and surgery
http://www.cars-int.org/
:)

and yup i think it would be nice :) i really want to go to switzerland for this part really, and italy too, like in topgear!: ( scroll to around 7 mins...its breathtaking...)

btw, all autbahans have no speed limit, correct?

and Digger i will keep that in mind...:S loll....?! its either a 1 or 3 series bmw.

·
Fremdtexter
2,598 Posts
btw, all autbahans have no speed limit, correct?
Most sections have varying speed limits. Some stretches are without. If you drive from Berlin to Italy you will encounter some sections without limit, but that fun usually only lasts for a few minutes then you hit the next limit, plus there will be cars blocking the left (high speed) lane. It's a constant alternation which requires you to break, accelerate, break, accelerate, etc... it is not like in the US where you can cruise long stretches with the same speed. I hope that your experience with long distance car travel doesn't stem from the US because there it is much less stressing to drive huge distances. In Germany you will need to pay attention all the time. That's why I personally don't like to drive more than 2 hours by car in Germany.

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most sections have varying speed limits. Some stretches are without. If you drive from Berlin to Italy you will encounter some sections without limit, but that fun usually only lasts for a few minutes then you hit the next limit, plus there will be cars blocking the left (high speed) lane. It's a constant alternation which requires you to break, accelerate, break, accelerate, etc... it is not like in the US where you can cruise long stretches with the same speed. I hope that your experience with long distance car travel doesn't stem from the US because there it is much less stressing to drive huge distances. In Germany you will need to pay attention all the time. That's why I personally don't like to drive more than 2 hours by car in Germany.
really?
alright well, ill keep that in mind...:) thanks
well since its a rental and all, i guess ill have to get used to it first...
my experience is from canada;) soo...pretty close looolll :p
two hours?! loll im talking...way more than that hahah :p

·
Banned
102 Posts
Driving in Europe is like hell.
There's something worse than driving on German motorways... Driving in European/Germany cities. Curved streets, narrow side alleys, major roads have barely more than two lanes plus one out of two lanes are often used as parking spaces. That's what I often see here in Berlin. :eek:hno:
And last but not least the good ol' medieval urban planning which makes street maps look like labyrinths.

·
überall zuhause
7,110 Posts
^^ mostly around cities there is really a speed limit; but it´s not that expensive when they catch you. But it switzerland it really is!

ok driving from Switzerland to Frankfurt not really need any big stops.

but be sure to refuel in Switzerland it´s much more cheaper than in Germany

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^

thanks!
would you know about in lichenstein? cheaper there than switzerland?

·
überall zuhause
7,110 Posts
^^ i live 10 minutes from liechtenstein boarder ;)

the prices are minimal cheaper than in Switzerland.
diesel is a bit cheaper in austria than in CH + FL

but it´s just a few cents ... this is just interesting when you like to see all 3 countries
otherwise no reason to change the route

Shopping & eating makes more fun in Austria cause it´s much cheaper

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I'd say the best route to Switzerland from Venice should be via Milan - Chiasso (or maybe Bolzano - Stelvio/Val Mustair, if you want to see the St. Moritz-Region). ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts