SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nigerian shipowners said to head to Ghana dockyards.
Nigerian shipowners have abandoned the country’s dockyards and headed to Ghana’s dockyards, according to a Nigerian publication, the Vanguard.

The Vanguard reports that Nigerian shipowners have abandoned ship repair facilities and other dockyards in that country for Ghanaian dockyards because the dockyards in Nigeria are inadequate and use obsolete equipment and the staff are not well trained.

The report cited one Jonathan Irafor, who is the Managing Director of Luxem Energy Limited saying that Nigerian shipowners have preference for Ghanaian dockyards because of the modern equipment Ghanaians use in carrying out repair works on vessels.

According to Irafor ship repairs in Nigeria take a much longer time than what is obtained in Ghana adding that it could take as much as three to four months to carry out repair works on a vessel in Nigeria, while it takes between two and four weeks in Ghana.

“Most of our vessels in Nigeria go to Ghana for repairs and dry docking, the Naval dockyard, Nigerdock and the Starz dock yards are not enough to meet the needs of Nigerian shipowners.

“At the Naval dockyard, if you go there, you spend three to four months for you to leave that dock, the equipment are not up to date so most of the vessel owners go to Ghana to dock their vessel and that is another area of capital flight,” he said.

He was also cited as saying Nigerian dockyards use obsolete equipment and the workers are not well trained.

By Emmanuel K. Dogbevi

Link to source below:
http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2010/10/28/nigerian-shipowners-said-to-head-to-ghana-dockyards/

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
oh dear, you're up for the firing line.

i was actually reading an interview with a Nigerian manufacturer the other day, the only reason why you dont have a exodus of Nigerian manufacturers to Accra, is that, in his own words, "what [money] you save on [reliable] electricity, you lose on transport and en-route customs/bribes costs to get the goods back to Nigeria".

They really need to clean up the customs services if inter-regional trade is going to flourish. Ive heard this before.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
:lol:

I don't know why they would waste their money, when Lekki Port will be complete soon.

well I guess some investors are not as smart as others.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts

I don't know why they would waste their money, when Lekki Port will be complete soon.

If you are referring to the ship owners, what do you expect them to do in the meantime???

And btw, "soon"??? They dont even begin construction of the port until the first quarter of 2011 so god knows when it will be finished! Thats too long to expect a business man to wait. Time= money as they say.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts

Lekki is not complete yet. He (they) needs to make money (doesn't matter if he is a millionaire or Billionaire) , as long he makes money. Thats how one prospers. Making money has no limit for smart businessman.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
oh dear, you're up for the firing line.

i was actually reading an interview with a Nigerian manufacturer the other day, the only reason why you dont have a exodus of Nigerian manufacturers to Accra, is that, in his own words, "what [money] you save on [reliable] electricity, you lose on transport and en-route customs/bribes costs to get the goods back to Nigeria".

They really need to clean up the customs services if inter-regional trade is going to flourish. Ive heard this before.
i agree with this too much wahala with customs in the form of bibes etc. for this sector to flourish changes need to be made and existing ports and their facilities need to be improved. i think more should be done to encourage import/export as i myself would like to get involved in it but without the extra bribes and foolishness.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
i agree with this too much wahala with customs in the form of bibes etc. for this sector to flourish changes need to be made and existing ports and their facilities need to be improved. i think more should be done to encourage import/export as i myself would like to get involved in it but without the extra bribes and foolishness.
In Africa, its clear that each country needs a special anti-corruption wing of the police. I would create such a force to go "undercover" as businessmen crossing the border- if any border guard asks for a bribe- then they arrest them and jail them. I would also bar them from ever being employed by the state. Thats the only way to stop them.

I have to say, from my American and European friends who backpacked through West Africa, they all say Nigeria was the worst for this. They were all asked for "gifts" just to pass through the border and at various police checks throughout the country.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i think as a traveller its good to have your wits cos i have managed to get around it several times, but it shouldnt have to be that way. i think having indercovers would help but fines can be given out as deterrents and people should be able to make complaints that are taken seriously.

yeah the police will throw a log in the middle of the road to stop cars so that they can check them. its not that there shouldnt be any check points but this aint necessary and something obviously needs to be done cos in these cases there is a thin line between bribery and extortion and they shouldnt have the right or opportunity to partake in neither.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
i think as a traveller its good to have your wits cos i have managed to get around it several times, but it shouldnt have to be that way. i think having indercovers would help but fines can be given out as deterrents and people should be able to make complaints that are taken seriously.

yeah the police will throw a log in the middle of the road to stop cars so that they can check them. its not that there shouldnt be any check points but this aint necessary and something obviously needs to be done cos in these cases there is a thin line between bribery and extortion and they shouldnt have the right or opportunity to partake in neither.
But why even the need for them? Ive never seen a police checkpoint outside of Africa or Latin America.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,835 Posts
In Africa, its clear that each country needs a special anti-corruption wing of the police. I would create such a force to go "undercover" as businessmen crossing the border- if any border guard asks for a bribe- then they arrest them and jail them. I would also bar them from ever being employed by the state. Thats the only way to stop them.

I have to say, from my American and European friends who backpacked through West Africa, they all say Nigeria was the worst for this. They were all asked for "gifts" just to pass through the border and at various police checks throughout the country.
Like SA's Scorpions?

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,835 Posts

Like SA's Scorpions?

But who shall watch the watchmen, that is to say, what is to guarantee them from being corrupt? And if they can't be employed by the state, are you suggesting it be a private force?

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts

They do of course, but that depends on 1 or 2 things. The leader (president) and his party must be competent, dedicated to tackling the problem.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,191 Posts
^^ you forgot, you need a corruption-free judiciary system to bring the crooks to justice too. For instance KAAC has been busting officials left and right in Kenya, yet that work will be worth nothing if they are not prosecuted by a non-corrupt judge.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
èđđeůx;66253959 said:
^^ you forgot, you need a corruption-free judiciary system to bring the crooks to justice too. For instance KAAC has been busting officials left and right in Kenya, yet that work will be worth nothing if they are not prosecuted by a non-corrupt judge.
The Judicial system is usually influenced by the president and his party. so if the president and his party are dedicated to fight this disease , the Judicial system will be one of the lethal weapon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts