Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Midwest section has been kind of boring lately, here's the deal.

Get on whatever website you like to find city data, I actually prefer city-data.com

#1 Racial diversity

#2 Density

#3 Income

That's really all I'm interested in right now, but if you can think of other stats feel free to suggest.

I'll start with my hood in Indy, St. Joseph

#1 58% white, 30% black, 6% Asian, 6% other.

#2 Around 6,800 ppsm.

#3 $29,380 (median, obviously)

I suggest everyone use city-data, only for continuity.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
My neighborhood:

Population: 2,062
Area: 0.55 sq. mi.
Density: 3,749 ppsm (I'm surprised, because half the neighborhood is made up of massive school campuses and a wildlife preserve.)

Race:
White - 87.6%
Asian - 6.7%
Native American - 2.1%
Black - 1.6%
Hispanic - 1.2%
Multi-racial - 0.9%

Median Household Income: $53,750
Poverty Rate: 5.4%

My old "neighborhood" (i.e. an apartment complex) had a population of 752 in 0.03 sq. mi. for a density of 24,821 ppsm.;)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
It doesn't have a name, though I guess you could call it Southwest Southgate.

Here's a pic:

The green represents the residential development, while the blue represents the commercial development. The rest is either open space, schools, or churches. (orange, if we're keeping the Sim City theme.;)) The southern border (Pennsylvania Rd) of Southgate is the same as the southern border of my neighborhood, and the western border (Allen Rd) of Southgate is the only road that cuts through the left side of the picture. The northern portion of my neighborhood was developed primarily in the 50's while the southern portion was developed primarily in the 70s-90's.

·
Who?
637 Posts
Susquehanna
#1White Population:13,749
Black Population: 607
Hispanic Population:586
Asian Population: 90
Indian Population: 113
Hawaiian Population:90
Other Population: 252
#2 Pop-17,548 -Density?
#3 Income-$43,936

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,983 Posts
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin (Suburban Madison)

1. Racial Diversity (I'm sure this will change dramatically after the 2010 census numbers are released).
  • White - 88.8%
  • Black - 4.5%
  • Hispanic - 3.4%
  • Asian - 1%
2. Density - 3040 ppsm (City limits)

3. Income
  • Per Capita - $30,573
  • Household - $64,090

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
chicago has two levels of neighborhoods, the macro-level "community areas" that are rigidly defined by the city and the micro-level "neighborhoods" that are more user-defined by the people who live within them (and the real estate agents who sell property within them). i live in the River North neighborhood in chicago, but because that's a micro-level nieghborhood, i can't find any good stats for it on-line, so i'll have to use the macro-level community area of the "Near North Side", which is pretty big at 2.7 sq. miles and includes many other diverse nabes like Gold Coast, Goose Island, Old Town, Cabrini Green, Streeterville, etc.

Near North Side:

1. racial diversity

- White 69.2%
- Black 19.1%
- Hispanic 3.85%
- Asian 6.09%
- Other 1.77%

2. density

72,811 people / 2.7 square miles = 26,967 people per square mile

3. median income

$67,065

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_North_Side,_Chicago

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I'm not sure what the actual boundaries are of River North, I assume that everyone considers the river the western and southern borders, while Chicago Ave is the most obvious northern border, but it seems that just about any stret could be the eastern border. Dearborn Ave seems about right as it appears that the blocks east of Dearborn Ave are mostly newer high-rise while the blocks west of Dearborn Ave are mostly older low-rise.

If that's the case, then the "River North" neighborhood had a population of 4,291 in 0.39 sq. mi. for a density of 10,921.9 ppsm at the last Census. Granted, I'm sure the population has risen significantly since the last Census.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I found River North on city-data.

River North, Chicago

Area: 0.446 sq. miles
Pop: 2,872
Density: 6,446 ppsm

Chicago Density: 12, 750 ppsm

Diversity

Income: $102,289 Damn!
Chicago income: $46,991

Avg. Rent: $1,494
Avg. Chicago Rent: $744

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My soon-to-be neighborhood.

Not sure if it's the official name but what I found online was called "Juneau-Town" or "west-Town."

JuneauTown/West-Town, Milwaukee. (If the locals call it something else, please correct me.)

Area: 0.722 sq. miles
Pop: 4,902
Density: 6,786 ppsm
Milwaukee Density: 6,214 ppsm

Diversity:

Income: $39,699
Milwaukee Income: $37,331

Avg. Rent: $784
Avg. Mil. Rent: $596

Milwaukee, here I come, yeah!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty diverse neighborhood you live in, also dense. How close is Whittier to downtown? Also, do you drive, bike, bus or walk to work/school?

·
Paradise Island
3,771 Posts
Pretty diverse neighborhood you live in, also dense. How close is Whittier to downtown? Also, do you drive, bike, bus or walk to work/school?
Whittier is about one to two miles from the downtown core depending where in the neighborhood you are and where in downtown you are going. I walk to work which is 6 blocks away, most daily shopping is within walking distance, if I need to go downtown I take the bus, I don't have a car.

The neighborhood doesn't look that dense but it has a lot of low rise apartment buildings.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
I'm not sure what the actual boundaries are of River North,
that's the problem, there are no actual boundaries for chicago's micro-level neighbrohoods. i'm east of dearborn, but i've always considered myself living in river north. that's the problem with using the micro-level neighborhoods for stat gathering purposes, they have no rigidly defined boundaries and thus are open to a lot of interpretation. hell, look at the stats Resident found for river north from city data, only 2,800 people? WTF? my condo building alone (one of dozens upon dozens in the neighborhood) has a population of over 1,500 people. clearly city data is using some wacky-small definition for what constitutes "river north". the only way to get actual "neighborhood" info for chicago is to use the community areas because they alone have hard boundaries, even if they are on the large side of the spectrum.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea where those numbers come from, especially considering they say the area is 0.446 sq. mi. They may be referring to total area, which includes a large portion of the river, but even then that seems low.

The area I described is the land that is bounded by the river to the south and west, Chicago to the north, and Dearborn to the East. If you expand that to State it adds something like 2,500 people, and the further east you go the denser the area gets.

·
Registered
625 Posts
White alone - 12,099 (84.9%)
Black alone - 1,449 (10.2%)
Asian alone - 242 (1.7%)
Hispanic - 224 (1.6%)
Two or more races - 173 (1.2%)
American alone - 45 (0.3%)
Other race alone - 22 (0.2%)

Estimated median household income in 2008: $48,604
Estimated per capita income in 2008: $27,432

Population in July 2009: 12,300. Population change since 2000: -13.7%

That's from the 2000 census. The 2010 census will most definitely have the white population at only 50%

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I thought the stats for River North seemed a bit odd, but thats all I could find. I mean 2,800 people, really? Does the median income look right to you? Also, I'm not sure why the diversity graph didn't show up, it was there when I first posted it, but oh well.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My soon-to-be neighborhood.
Not sure if it's the official name but what I found online was called "Juneau-Town" or "west-Town."
Ummm, can't be so. Juneau Town, east of the Milwaukee River, was one of the three original settlements that merged to form Milwaukee, and is today's Eastown; West of the River was Kilbourn Town, which is today's Westown (and south of these was Walker's Point, now known as Walker's Point :)
So unless you actually live in the middle of the River, and I'm guessing you don't, "Juneau-Town" and "west-Town" are mutually exclusive.
This Wikipedia link should sort it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_of_Milwaukee
Just scroll all the way to the "Downtown" section. You'll probably end up knowing more than 99% of us natives.
And welcome to Weird and Wacky Wisconsin.

OK, I see where you got the misinformation: city-data.com. They flat-out got the name wrong.
Like I said, Weird and Wacky

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
There are eight block groups that are primarily within the River North neighborhood (as I defined it earlier). The median household income ranged from $29,355 to $128,793. The median income for the entire area fell somewhere in the $60,000-$75,000 range.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Does the median income look right to you?
the $102,289 figure seems high to me, but then again i live in marina city, affectionately known as "the trailer park in the sky", so my perspective is almost assuredly skewed by the fact that i live in one of the absolute most affordable condo buildings in downtown chicago. just to give some perspective, i purchased my condo here at MC for about $350/SF four years ago. trump tower, one block over from me, has units going in the $1,000/SF range. that's a HUGE difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts