SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 14 Posts

· Banned
2,075 Posts
MIMICA said:
I'm sorry to say that this city doesn't really appeal to me much, my favorite city in Albania is Tirana.:yes:
Gjirokastra is a small town in the south
Famous albanian writer Ismail Kadare comes from here
Kadare is considered one of the greatest writers of european literature in the 20th century , an absolute GENIOUS

Gjirokastra has some old buildings and is famous for having streets with old bricks , (they have no asphalt)
The castle in this town is also very old but you are right , Gjirokastra doesnt offer much

· Banned
2,075 Posts
Maksym said:
Is Enver Hoxha still popular in Albania? Is he viewed in a positive or negative perspective?
Enver Hoxha was a dictator.
He was of course very patriotic and nationalistic but he stabbed his closest friends in the back.He was a sneaky dictator who ruined our country because he isolated it from the World.
Everyone hates him , there are very few who admire him.
Acctually , no one really likes to discuss about Hoxha nowdays.
I have to say that he was a stuburn and egoistic dictator.

Deffinitely viewed in a negative perspective.

· Banned
2,075 Posts
AltinD said:
Is a pitty that Gjirokastra is in such condition nowdays. Gjirokastra is the most original place in Albania and must be (have been) protected.
The most original place in Albania? :runaway:
Gjirokastra is a small city with little importance.
South has Vlora , Saranda, Korca and Fier who are way more important than Gjirokastra.

· Banned
2,075 Posts
We are totally overrating Gjirokastra.
Gjirokastra is a small town in the south where Enver Hoxha , Eqerem Cabej and Ismail Kadare come from.
That's it.
I dont know anything else about this town besides the old houses and brick layered streets.
It is a town of little significance in Albania.
If i am correct i believe Gjirokastra rank 15th overall in Population in the country , so there you have it.
The only reason this town has a university is because the commies who are now in government pushed for it to have one when in reality other cities of bigger importance deserved it.
Gjirokastra has little significance from an economic point of view as well.
It has no seacoast , it is not known to be an agricultural land , it has no major factories ....etc,etc.
Add on top of that the fact that this town has greek minority living in it thus making it really undesirable.
Reality is that Gjirokastra is a small town in the South.

1 - 10 of 14 Posts