Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Urban Model

Glasgow City Council is building a 3-D model of Glasgow which you can view online.

The model responds to the Scottish Executive’s vision for delivering online services fit for the 21st Century. The primary objective of this project is an interactive 3-D, digital model of the City Centre and River Clyde accessible via the Council’s website that will allow the public greater access to and understanding of the development of the city.
Some of the benefits to Council Services that are envisaged include the following:

enhance the understanding of the built environment; assist the regeneration of the City;
improve the participation and consultation process for future development proposals in the City;
provide a visual aid to help explain the impact of a development to the public, elected members and developers;
provide a versatile promotional tool to showcase development in Glasgow;
and improve the quality of all development on the ground.

The model is the first of its kind in the UK and will be available online from the 14th of May 2007

·
Registered
410 Posts
Having now had a chance to 'play' with the Urban Model, I fail to understand why something like Google Earth has not been utilised instead. As it stands it is nothing more than a novelty and of little use to any architect or developer wanting to test a possible design solution without having to pay or employ a third party, which is my understanding of how it will work.

Google Earth is open and plug-ins are available for Sketchup, Autocad etc. This would have opened up the model to a much wider audience, using more readily available software rather than the fairly proprietary download required to run the model as it is currently designed.

While the standalone rendered 'still' visuals are fanstastic quality, the basic model itself (ie, the one available to joe public) is fairly crude and basic, and in that respect is actually no better than the Abacus model, which if memory serves, also covered a wider area of the city.

Or I could be wrong.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Having now had a chance to 'play' with the Urban Model, I fail to understand why something like Google Earth has not been utilised instead. As it stands it is nothing more than a novelty and of little use to any architect or developer wanting to test a possible design solution without having to pay or employ a third party, which is my understanding of how it will work.

Google Earth is open and plug-ins are available for Sketchup, Autocad etc. This would have opened up the model to a much wider audience, using more readily available software rather than the fairly proprietary download required to run the model as it is currently designed.

While the standalone rendered 'still' visuals are fanstastic quality, the basic model itself (ie, the one available to joe public) is fairly crude and basic, and in that respect is actually no better than the Abacus model, which if memory serves, also covered a wider area of the city.

Or I could be wrong.
NO i dont think you are wrong. I have seen models of similar area and greater detail sourced commercially. I fail to see much new merit in this. Were more radical thinking employed the model would be open source with a requirement for every new development in the area to be modelled at planning application stage such that it could be both tested and added to said model.

·
5,992 Posts
I agree with you Momus - it all seems a tad trivial and gimicky.

Google Earth and Live Earth both support 3-D modelling (Live's 3d modelling is awesome), and so I don't know why they didn't just use one of these very effective methods instead.

Still, that aside it is a nice little thing to mess about with for a while - it'll look nice when the whole model is finished.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EVENT: THE GLASGOW CITY MODEL

CBE is holding an event, The Glasgow City Model on August 2 (12.00-14.00) at Buchanan House, seminar room K505, 58 Port Dundas Road, Glasgow.

The Leader of Glasgow City Council has launched the Glasgow Urban Model, a 3D online and high-resolution tool that maps the city and its buildings. The project, commissioned by the council and led by Digital Design Studio at the Glasgow School of Art, will allow the public to engage with the future design and development of the city.

The model is a world-first in terms of its size and accuracy and will allow access to planning applications in a 3D environment, allowing the public and business to preview building developments long before a brick has been laid.

Steven Purcell, the Leader of the Council, said: "This is a model that will allow the people of Glasgow to appreciate the regeneration that has already taken place and help us to plan for the future.

"Using cutting edge technology, we can map our development plans in a way which has never been done before, allowing the public to assess planning applications in a virtual form. It is often difficult to visualise developments simply from architects' drawings - now we can bring them to life, allowing everyone to contribute to the planning process."

The model also brings with it the prospect of future innovations which could see it used as a marketing and tourism tool, with potential visitors and investors able to access Glasgow's unique built heritage from any computer, anywhere in the world.

The seminar will include a demonstration of the online model, a description of the high-resolution model development and an explanation of how the model will be utilized in future Council services. Architects, designers, planners and heritage groups are encouraged to attend, as well as people involved in the marketing and promotion of development projects within the city.

To book a place, phone CBE on 0141 273 1411, or send a message to:
[email protected]

·
Registered
410 Posts
We have been asked for several models of schemes we have underway, for the Council to slot into the model. Hopefully the overall model quality will improve incrementally as this happens, but how long before they won't validate an application because they want extra information in the form of a compatible model?? :)

That aside, it can only be for the benefit of development in the city, even if there are other complementary or more accessible modelling solutions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've noticed on future glasgows website that the virtual model cost £450,000! What a waste. It is extremely slow and has been unavailable on and off for i dont know how long.

Anyway, i've recently started doing 3d buildings for google earth. I find it a lot better than that terratec software. So far i have completed St Georges Tron, The Peoples Palce and Winter Gardens, Cineworld, St Andrews House, Ernst and Young Offices on George Square, Princes Square, and a couple of others. You can find my buildings here.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?uq=13185264172137476283

I no longer live in glasgow and have to rely on photos from the internet. I have several blocks in the city centre nearing completion but I'm missing the facade's of one or two buildings. Any chance of someone helping me out?

I need a photo of the building that is on the corner of Renfrew Street and Hope Street on the same block as the Pavilion theatre, its the one circled in red.

I also need one on west george street (the one in red). Its more or less across the road from queen street station.

look forward to a response. many thanks. stephen

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.