Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

As Glasgow is one of two candidates for the Commonwealth Games in 2014, I thought I'd raise a decades old issue I'd like to encourage the council to remedy before then.

With that in mind, I've created a short video (4:45mins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Oh3Rqmv6Q

Those smells I've described in the video have been around for ages, and am simply expressing an opinion that I'm sick of it, after smelling 3 decades of it. As a kid I didnt mind, but now I see it as a problem.

I reckon I'm only scratching the surface...... take the bridge to Rutherglen for instance, at times it's a biohazard. I'd say there were plenty other places I could have put in the video if I had the time.

The video was put up in a rush, with no script and 2 takes for each place. It aint too bad for a first attempt. I was told to remove certain words form the video and do a more polished v

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
:lol: This is a wind-up isn't it?

·
£€$$ is more
1,895 Posts
:D

Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...

Maybe you have to remember this was once a heavy industrial city which was here long before you. Some of these industries remain and yes perhaps do smell but they also contribute to the economy as much as tourism if that is the area you are concerned about?

Maybe you should fix things by no longer drinking alcoholic beverages, farting, driving a car, get rid of those smokers too, compulsory showers before entering buildings....

I've been to the areas described and infact they do not smell on a daily basis.

Did you do this part of The Daly Mail recruting test or something?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ariesr, I just watched your video clip. No offence, but has anyone ever told you you look like former Prime Minister, Tony Blair? or am I just imagining things?

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
Not the warmest of welcomes to the forum, ariesr. So allow me to say hi and welcome.

That said - yes, parts of Glasgow smell. But so do parts of all big cities. I would suggest you get out more, but it's probably better for all concerned if you (and your mate holding the camera for you) just stay indoors. Like, forever. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...Ok here we are...this place stinks...

It's a fairly repetitive simple message isnt it?

Maybe you have to remember this was once a heavy industrial city which was here long before you. Some of these industries remain and yes perhaps do smell but they also contribute to the economy as much as tourism if that is the area you are concerned about?
As it's says in the video, it's been here longer than me.

Maybe you should fix things by no longer drinking alcoholic beverages, farting, driving a car, get rid of those smokers too, compulsory showers before entering buildings....
Bit of an exagerration there , no? :D :D

I've been to the areas described and infact they do not smell on a daily basis.
In the video I say "weekly". "almost daily" was used to describe one area near the city centre. "frequent basis" was used to describe another area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not the warmest of welcomes to the forum, ariesr. So allow me to say hi and welcome.

That said - yes, parts of Glasgow smell. But so do parts of all big cities. I would suggest you get out more, but it's probably better for all concerned if you (and your mate holding the camera for you) just stay indoors. Like, forever. :lol:
Hi Chief,

My first post wasnt the most uplifting, so the slagging off aint surprising. I might have even said the same myself, and as you suggest, the video equally would apply to other cities.

But those cities aren't likely to end up with the Commonwealth games in 2014. It seemed a good opportunity to do something before then. As it says i the video "Can you imagine international class athletes coming over to Glasgow and breathing in that smell?" (The proposed athletes village will be in Dalmarnock)

Should we simply shrug shoulders and leave those areas that smell well alone?
Solutions might be difficult and involve people's jobs, I'm not certain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ariesr, I just watched your video clip. No offence, but has anyone ever told you you look like former Prime Minister, Tony Blair? or am I just imagining things?
I'm not certain, perhaps you have watched too much of the news lately about him leaving :)

Maybe it's all the hand waving in the video, I dunno :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Ariesr, as political causes go, that's about the strangest one I've ever seen. Are you sure this isn't a joke? Love your Shir Shean Connery ackshent too:

Thish shmell ish terrible, itsh a problem thatsh been going on for decadesh
:colgate:

I really don't think we have a smelly city. I've been to Mumbai, Calcutta and Nairobi (all in the Commonwealth) and Glasgow is like a Haze air freshener in comparison with them. Likewise, Paris and Venice are really smelly in places but that doesn't stop them being two of the most beautiful cities in the world.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ariesr, as political causes go, that's about the strangest one I've ever seen. Are you sure this isn't a joke? Love your Shir Shean Connery ackshent too:

I really don't think we have a smelly city.
It's just parts of the city that I've highlighted. And I've covered only parts of east and centre of the city. It'd be interesting to hear more views on other parts of the city.

The video was simply to get folk talking about it. If the majority think it isnt something to be dealt with then that's that.

As for Paris and Venice, is it a case of looks nice, but smells hellish? :D

·
2,231 Posts
What's wrong with Rutherglen? It's a great place, a bit too many charity shops though but still great, no smell as such, maybe on the main street where there are loads of cars but that can be expected in any town.

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
What gets me most is that you're in your thirties. Seriously dude... find a greater cause. Please.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rutherglen is actually a really nice area of the city (sic) if only they could flatten the Mitchell Arcade and outlaw all pound shops and limit Charity Shops to 1? and remove all sectarian pubs. If you think of all the areas which border onto Overtoun Park there are lots of nice places to live. What about an aromatics factory next to the sewage works to disguise the smell?

·
Registered
989 Posts
You see the tall buildings and you KNOW its going to smell bad
:lol: saves the council having to put up "Welcome to Glasgow" signs. Although its not necessarily a pressing issue. i could imagine that the GCC will spend their ££,£££,£££ on a zillion other things before they think "Did you just fart, pal?". I dont think its an issue that the 'international class athletes' will worry about. They are probably from cities that smell ten times worse than PARTS of ours. And if they do care, well they are a bunch of over paid prima donnas afterall...

·
control yourself
4,370 Posts
Love your Shir Shean Connery ackshent too:

Thish shmell ish terrible, itsh a problem thatsh been going on for decadesh
:lol: Yersh Mish Moneypenny, I can djefinitely shmell shiyte...

I do agree with Ariel about the sewage treatment plants at Dalmarnock Bridge and Paisly, the are fookin bouffin! Particularly the one at Paisly... nice welcome to the city that is but instead of just comong here for a moan, why not offer some solutions?. I remember seeing a sewage treatment plant built n inner city Paris that was more or less hermetically sealed and contained withing a 5/6 storey building, surrounded by offices buildings. You would never have known it was there, and there was certainly no smell. I'm sure it was generating some of its own power too by using the heat generated from all that Parisian shit

1 - 20 of 30 Posts