Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2904 Posts

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DEMOLITION LIST:

APPROVED

• 10 Petershill court : 27 floors, 80m (1969)
    http://www.gha.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s4_1&newsid=447
    SSHA Hutchesontown 1 : 24 floors, 68.9m (1971) *Imminent*
    SSHA Hutchesontown 2 : 24 floors, 68.9m (1971) *Imminent*
    12 Riverford road 23 floors, 65.8m December 2008
    http://www.gha.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s4_1&newsid=450
    21 Riverbank street 23 floors, 65.8m December 2008
    124 Shawbridge street 23 floors, 65.8m (1964) December 2008
    142 Shawbridge street 23 floors, 65.8m (1964) December 2008
    40 Stirlingfauld court 23 floors ~May 2007
    http://www.scottishhousingnews.com/dailynews.asp?day=17/06/04
    45 Stirlingfauld court 23 floors
    17 Broomloan court : 21 floors, 61m (1963) ~ Jan 2009
    29 Broomloan court : 21 floors, 61m (1963) ~ Jan 2009
    5 Broomloan court : 21 floors, 61m (1963) ~Jan 2009
    3 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m *Aug 05*
    5 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m *Aug 05*
    7 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m *Aug 05*
    9 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m *Aug 05*
    11 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m *Aug 05*
    Fountainwell 1 : 20 floors 58m ~Jan 2009
    Fountainwell 2 : 20 floors 58m ~Jan 2009
    Fountainwell 3 : 20 floors 58m ~Jan 2009
    Fountainwell 4 : 20 floors 58m ~Jan 2009
    Fountainwell 5 : 20 floors 58m ~Jan 2009
    14 Shaftesbury street : 18 floors, 52m ~May 2009
    Livingstone tower : 17 floors
    Dental Hospital 10 floors
    [url]http://www.show.scot.nhs.uk/gg...te_archive/Services/Phase1/Report/16-dent.htm

Total: 25

PROPOSED

• 63 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
    93 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
    33 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
    123 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
    10 Red road court : 31 floors, 89m
    21 Birnie court : 31 floors, 89m
    153 Petershill drive : 27 floors, 80m

Total: 7

------------------------------------------------------

APPROVED

Red road £60 million
10 Petershill court : 27 floors, 80m 1969

Gorbals Imminent

SSHA Hutchesontown 1 : 24 floors, 68.9m 1971
SSHA Hutchesontown 2 : 24 floors, 68.9m 1971

Shawbridge corridor December 2008 £11 million
12 Riverford road : 23 floors, 65.8m
21 Riverbank street : 23 floors, 65.8m
124 Shawbridge street : 23 floors, 65.8m 1964
142 Shawbridge street : 23 floors, 65.8m 1964

Ibrox 3 to 4 years
17 Broomloan court : 21 floors, 61m 1963
29 Broomloan court : 21 floors, 61m 1963
5 Broomloan court : 21 floors, 61m 1963

Castlemilk 3 months

3 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m
5 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m
7 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m
9 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m
11 Mitchelhill road : 20 floors 58m

Anderston 4 years
http://www.sanctuary-housing.co.uk/news.asp
14 Shaftesbury street : 18 floors, 52m

George street
Livingstone tower : 17 floors

India street 2005
Clive House/Strathclyde Regional Authority HQ : 8 floors

----------------------------------------------

PROPOSED

Red road : 10 years
http://www.gha.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s4_1&newsid=447
63 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
93 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
33 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
123 Petershill drive : 31 floors, 89m
10 Red road court : 31 floors, 89m
21 Birnie court : 31 floors, 89m
153 Petershill drive : 27 floors, 80m

---------------------------------------------

RUMOURED

Anderston commercial centre
http://www.daviesscoll.u-net.com/joc/news/news.htm

Columba house : 16 floors, 47m
Davaar : 16 floors, 47m
Dalriada : 16 floors, 47m

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
... and can anyone identify the two of the Hutchesontown quartet that are getting chopped?

305 Caledonia road : 24 floors, 69m
487 Cumberland street : 24 floors, 69m
341 Caledonia road : 24 floors, 69m
474 Old Rutherglen road : 24 floors, 69m

Being so, send me a postcard, drop me a line.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I don't get the impression that the Anderston centre is going anywhere really. Idle net chatter likely.

We're talking geologic timeframes for most of these anyway...

·
control yourself
4,370 Posts
The Mitchellhill flats in Castlemilk will be gone within the next year with the first demolitions taking place in 3-4 months. The dem-crews have been in prepping them for months now so it does look imminent.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Awesome stuff. Are all five coming down, or just the three non painted ones?

--------------------------

I was looking at the Corinth tower thread earlier, impressive stuff. Glasgow's got a lot of catching up to do to remove tower block blight, our bankrupt housing department meant nothing ever happened. The government's written off the debt though and control's been passed to the Glasgow Housing Association, after a slow start things seem to be picking up.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.local.housingstrategy.gl... East Area Devt Framework at 2nd April 04.doc

They're all going :)
Following demolition, the site of 5 multi-storey flats at Mitchelhill will be considered as a possible extension to Cathkin Braes Country Park.
Interesting to note the land will be returned to countryside. Ties in with the population figures...
At the 2001 Census, there were 71,695 people living in South East compared to 77,769 in 1991. Therefore since 1991, South East has lost slightly less than a tenth (7.8%) of its population.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The only carvat about all this demolition, is they don't repeat the 60s nightmare of relocation to 'new' ghost towns, thereby reducing Glasgow's population again! Need to rebuild at the same speed (or more) that the bulldozers!

·
control yourself
4,370 Posts
Glasgow really should be down-sizing anyway, theres no need for all these peripheral schemes these days, they're hell-holes that most would rather not be living in. So get rid of Castlemilk, Easterhouse, Drumchapel et al and re-establish the density we once had. Being stuck out on the fringes of the city has a real psycholgical effect on people living there and only helps to keep them on the fringes of society... which is why you couldnt/wouldnt walk thru these places at night or alone or both.

Well done finding that Gleegie, nice to hear the land is being given back to the countryside, it can be quite beautiful up there on the Braes... if you look past the housing scheme that is.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe 10 Petershill court (the first Red road amputee) to be the squat yellow wall on the left, but it could be the one with the red stairwells...

... and another one goes, another one goes another one bites the dust, doo da dooowa do do dooo another one bites the dust...

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
western infirmary

Dental Hospital

meat market

GLASGOW'S old meat market has been torn down to make way for a huge housing estate and shops.
Bulldozers have moved on to the 51-acre east end site and razed the disused building.
In its place, a mix of houses and shops will breathe new life into one of the city's rundown communities.
Meat traders moved to the abattoir and market, at the corner of Duke Street and Bellgrove Street in Calton, in the 1980s after the original meat market in Gallowgate closed.
Instead of being a traditional open-plan market, the new building housed individual trading units, but it closed in July 2001.
Now the eyesore, which was badly damaged after being torched in March 2003, has disappeared from the city skyline.
For many workers it means the last trace of an era has finally gone.
Wholesale meat salesman Richard Allan, 66, of Allan & Allan, has memories of working at both Glasgow meat markets.
Mr Allan said: "People were queuing up to get into Glasgow meat market at one time.
"The abattoir was tremendous but the facilities were not ideal.
"I left 10 years ago. In the end the building was an eyesore and an embarrassment to the trade."
Wholesaler Charlie Wright, of CC Meats in Blochairn, worked in the meat markets from the age of 15.
The 59-year-old said: "The new market was cleaner, tidier and more modern. I'm sad to see it go."
A council spokesman said: "We unveiled a masterplan for the former abattoir in November 2002, revealing the outline for a mixed-use neighbourhood of business, retail and residential development.
"The site is half-way through the demolition process and, as yet, no detailed plans for the new development have been submitted."
In a further bid to regenerate the area, Molendinar Housing Association will build 87 flats and a commercial unit at the original meat market site in Gallowgate, near the recently-flattened abattoir.
Director Rob Joiner said: "The recent demolition has made a huge difference. We hope there will be more good quality developments planned for the future."
Molendinar's development will begin in the autumn and it will retain the old market's two listed Victorian arches, which formed the entrance to the original meat market.
TIMESFILE
•The original Glasgow Meat Market was established in Gallowgate in 1879.
•It closed in the 1980s but was one of the last remaining in the country and was once the most important market of its kind in the west of Scotland.
•Around 1000 cattle were slaughtered there each week.
•During winter months traders suffered sub-zero temperatures in the old meat market's warehouse. The newer one, however, had a temperature controlled environment.

·
Registered
545 Posts
What a coinscidence. I was in the dental hospital today. I was paid £20 to be a subject of a dental exam.(Don't know how they roped me into that one!)

Anyway thank god it's such an eyesore and a bloody dump inside too. But wont it be a bit tricky to demolish due to its position right on the street front and closely surrounded by other buildings.

·
control yourself
4,370 Posts
I always thought the meat-market site would be ideal for sumthin big and tall to close of the east vista of Ingram St as it sits perfectly central in the sightline (get a ruler and an arial Glasgow atlas ;) ). Probably a bit far fetched, but it could have been something to draw people and investment into the east-end, no chance or point now though with those chaffy student flats they're throwing up on High St ...sighs

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marks Barfield's "Skyhouse" was floated back in 2003.

The student flats might not turn out too bad actually, I dunno. I've seen two images, one awful, one nice.

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.show.scot.nhs.uk/ggnhsb/Depts/p+c_care/acute_archive/Services/Phase1/Report/16-dent.htm

The building's unsafe. They're moving to either Stobhill or Gartnavel.

-------------------------------------------------------

Cafe India site at Charing Cross is now vacated :) Demolition should start imminently. The concrete stuff in the background is scheduled for demolition too! Yay, quite long timescales though. The concrete wall fronting St Vincent street should be gone in I think 2 years. The tower will come down last in about 4.

·
control yourself
4,370 Posts
Skyhouse was all wrong tho, too big for High St... altho half a mile along Duke St on the meat market site would have been cool, altho maybe still a bit big. Thank feck those St Vincent St monoliths are coming down btw, I thought you said a while back they were to stay tho :S Hey ho, nice surprise! :)

EDIT: The student flats are probably ok, I just dont like seeing that much brick in my city centre and I dont like them ...hope Im wrong tho! One other hope actually (while Im on the subject ;) ) is that they get rid of that little brick building with City Investigations on the ground floor, at the corner of High and Ingram Streets, it'll stick out like a sticky-out thing when all is done there.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, should have specified. One of the three "wall" blocks (the one nearest us) is still owned by the council. Its fate hasn't as yet been determined. It won't be coming down with the others though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can't wait til all this crap gets ripped down. Weeeeeeeeeeeee.

(we're up late tonight, are we no?)

1 - 20 of 2904 Posts