SkyscraperCity banner

1401 - 1420 of 2871 Posts

·
Use your words
4,857 Posts
I'm surprised Graphical House has remained as long as it has.

The decent Georgian terrace next door was razed in 2008 for a hotel scheme which disappeared into the aether as soon as the site was cleared. Classic Glasgow.
That's the bit that annoys me about this place. Why do we make the same mistakes over and over again?

·
Steel guitar in my soul.
1,608 Posts
That's the bit that annoys me about this place. Why do we make the same mistakes over and over again?
A desperate, soft-touch Council eager to approve any and all developments, coupled with zero consequences for walk-away developers who leave a shit-tip at their arses for the city to sort out?

See also: Plaza, Bothwell.

It'll be interesting to see how the Royal Exchange Hotel planning application goes, as it involves demolition of a Victorian row with promises of better things...

·
Registered
268 Posts
God almighty! I remember living in Dennistown and passing this place and thinking it lookee quite new and nice! Thirty years ago!

Has it actually been demolished so that something can be built, anyone?

·
Free Cake
3,165 Posts
A planning application has gone in to demolish the shops/Old College Bar at the corner of High St and George St. However, for some reason they plan to retain the ground floor of two of the units on High St. Seems very odd. The ref is 12/01953/DC:

http://pdfserver3c.glasgowcitycounc...087&location=Volume2&contentType=&pageCount=1
:lol: oh christ, it's not like we don't have enough truncated remnants of older, denser buildings around the inner east of town. Not something I expected to happen here of all places, or now of all times. I take it whoevers knocking 'em down don't have any plans for replacement?

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
A planning application has gone in to demolish the shops/Old College Bar at the corner of High St and George St. However, for some reason they plan to retain the ground floor of two of the units on High St. Seems very odd. The ref is 12/01953/DC:

http://pdfserver3c.glasgowcitycounc...087&location=Volume2&contentType=&pageCount=1
Sorry same question.

Why is the Hot peppers and Meat shop being retained ?, college bar is being demolished and has more historical significance than them 2 units that are marked to being retained !! ?? , something fishy goin on, is it the same chap that owns the pawn brokers at Argyle st ?

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
If they're going to be demolished, then they all need to be demolished. Leaving one little bunker there makes no sense at all. What is the point of demolition unless it is to make room for a new development (either planned or in the future). Surely the remaining building would severely compromise the site.....

·
Consider Deleted
4,309 Posts
Hah, this will look insane and there is no way you can develop on the land until these 2 units are gone. I'm sure we'll hear the story soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry same question.

Why is the Hot peppers and Meat shop being retained ?, college bar is being demolished and has more historical significance than them 2 units that are marked to being retained !! ?? , something fishy goin on, is it the same chap that owns the pawn brokers at Argyle st ? ...
I agree: it doesn't seem right to demolish the Old College Bar. :weird: Okay, I have not been in there for ages so can't claim to be a loyal customer keeping it going, but anyway it has booze AND it had books. Very good! Anyway, I am sure it has more history than whatever these food shops are have, which is the real point.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The butcher's is a local shop of a type that is becoming a rarity in most parts of the city. I will be buying my Christmas steak pie there on Monday and hope to be able to do the same in future years. I accept that the unit will have to go to enable redevelopment of the site and that there are empty shop units on George St and Duke St. However, there is no need for the business to move until a redevelopment proposal is in place.

Incidentally, I don't see any prospect of a replay of the Herald/Headline buildings in Albion St built round the old Press Bar.

1401 - 1420 of 2871 Posts