SkyscraperCity banner

4741 - 4757 of 4757 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
All it needs now is a crown that looks like a toilet roll dolly.

I'll be intrigued to see how the cladding turns out.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Tbf, to backtrack a bit, if it looks like this we'll be alright
View attachment 61530
Yeah, that has a nice sense of scale to it and the modulation of the panels lend them self well to the curviliear corner. Shame about the canopy that doesn't relate to anything and the detail at ground floor plinth level is a bit disappointing. Not a bad foil though to the terracotta adjacent on St George's house or the Midland hotel opposite. Not a bad effort for a retro-fit - culled from the structure of an office that bears more than a passing resemblance to the current office on St Vincent Street...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Some more renders of the hotel at the Met Tower

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Jesus, that is quite possibly one of the worst things I've seen on here in a long time.
It looks like an overclad of some brutalist tower block (reminds me of Heron House overclad). The ground floor 'plinth' needs to be active- not just to service the apart hotel with reception/fitness suites- these things can be accommodated in upper levels.

Sterile, dull, over-wrought, over-bearing,mean, lacking detail, local distinctiveness, human scale, art, joy. I miss anything?

Oh - and really looks like something from 20 years ago. Go to the Future Glasgow website to see what I mean. Future Glasgow Or scroll back a bit in these threads.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Jesus, that is quite possibly one of the worst things I've seen on here in a long time.
It looks like an overclad of some brutalist tower block (reminds me of Heron House overclad). The ground floor 'plinth' needs to be active- not just to service the apart hotel with reception/fitness suites- these things can be accommodated in upper levels.

Sterile, dull, over-wrought, over-bearing,mean, lacking detail, local distinctiveness, human scale, art, joy. I miss anything?

Oh - and really looks like something from 20 years ago. Go to the Future Glasgow website to see what I mean. Future Glasgow Or scroll back a bit in these threads.
I like the densification and the public realm at the back.

Would be vastly improved if only the set back bit facing Met Tower just faced Cathedral St instead.

Are there any plans for the old Strathclyde sports centre now the new one has opened. Perhaps a new pedestrian route from North Hanover St to John St could be created?

·
Hipster Scum
4,681 Posts
It is rather joyless isn't it? I don't know why so much of Glasgow's modern architecture is utterly devoid of colour in a city defined by grey skies and warm sandstone.

·
User
16,362 Posts
It is rather joyless isn't it? I don't know why so much of Glasgow's modern architecture is utterly devoid of colour in a city defined by grey skies and warm sandstone.
A partial explanation is that a good 40% of it is designed by these tasteless hacks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, unremittingly stark/ austere, wish it would have drawn more from the Le Corbusian elements of the old college tower.

With this proposal and the student 'filing-cabinet' adjacent, that corner is going to be brutal.

·
5,582 Posts
Pretty brutal, full marks for scale - big, lots of people, jobs, density etc. But pretty mental aesthetics - the whole thing seems to be facing the wrong way as leadensky has pointed out, and it's just so dull and weirdly proportioned. Good to see a few rooftop terraces in there - this is to be celebrated, but the whole thing is very early 90's and just a bit rubbish, isn't it?

What is interesting though, is that they've included a fairly tall blob/tower which is presumably supposed to represent the development deck joined onto Queen Street station. Do they know something here that we don't?

I tell you what, with this, that mad-shite student tower, and a tower on the development deck, this crossroad junction all of a sudden becomes the tallest, densest junction in the city...

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
There appears to be a looming block on the site of the proposed development platform adjacent QS station. General scale and height is indicated. Do they know something we don't? It is not normal practice to include such without reasonable expectation of that kind of form being brought froward for a planning application. This is obviously to give the proposal some future planning context.I'd watch this space carefully...

4741 - 4757 of 4757 Posts