SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 827 Posts

·
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
976 Posts
Sorry I don't really like the implications of what this might raise, Glasgow has fought its image from the sixties for too long to have some sensationalist hack tell lies about a city based on the moronic few!

I am in Sydney and there are still English people over here that have the stereotype of Glasgow as a town full of hard men and drunks, partially fuelled by an English media who are content to let the stereotype live on!

·
5,559 Posts
Hard is good - Glasgow is hard.

But good grief it's not a laughing matter when you are stuck right in the middle of it :(

I think everyone here, whether you are from Glasgow or not, has seen violence that really unsettles you, violence that you have very little control over. It's gut wrenching to watch, and paralyses many with fear. Not something to celebrate.

Glasgow has changed. It's not there yet, but it's a damn sight safer than it was 10 years ago. Statistically it's the safest large city in Britain. No joke. I suppose it's all down to the fact that a good deal of all stabbings etc are commited within certain boundries, thus making the city centre quite a safe place to be. Stumble into one of these boundaries however, and you are in a whole world of trouble.

I suppose if this gang warfare is contained to mostly these particular areas then we do have an agreeable equilibrium - gang vs gang is best left to the gangs themselves - no point policing the un-policeable.

·
Registered
585 Posts
my feelings are that it is more dangerous now than it was 10 years ago.

seriously.

at the mo, drink and coke is the prevailing tonic, an aggressive brew - a decade ago, eccies were the thing.

I genuinely believe that this shift in the drug demographic has influenced the city's ambience, man . . .

regarding the city centre:

the bottom line is that most British cities are drunken battlegrounds on a friday, saturday night.

not a pretty sight.

It's a genuine social and environmental problem.

glasgow is marginally harder than Liverpool, tho, inna final analysis.

·
Registered
579 Posts
British cities are drunken battlegrounds on a friday, saturday night.
Funny that hardly any other EU countries are like this (at least not ones where British people go). Scotland and the UK has a strange approach to drink, its almost as if people here never grow out of that kind of giggling feeling of being cool that 15 year olds have when drinking. How much did you drink last night, giggle giggle, that kind of childish thing :sleepy:

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
The moral standards of the drug/drink culture societies are diminishing very rapidly,upcomming generations will pay heavily if todays would be parents stay the way they are..stats show that todays grandparents will outlive their grandchildren by far.... i am sad for the future generations :| .

·
Registered
585 Posts
hey - did anyone see Glasgow on the Bob Dylan documentary last week?

was a clip of him getting into a taxi in front of Queen St. station; he was staying in the Copthorne!

some wee dolls were there to see him off; they said: "We didnae boo.....come back soon."

it was sweet.

it was also sweet to see the barrel vault of the station clearly from the square. (was not marred by block in front which is there now)

·
Scotland with ASBO's
156 Posts
I think Scotland has a problem with this. Id say it was the neds. I cant help but feel intimidated if im going down the street alone, and theres a group of them in the street. im not sure if they know...that people purposely avoid them because they dont want grief from them, sometimes that isnt enough,
People should feel safe in there own cities.
Its shameful..that there part of the problem that ruin our reputation of being a friendly, welcoming country.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gorgu said:
Sorry I don't really like the implications of what this might raise, Glasgow has fought its image from the sixties for too long to have some sensationalist hack tell lies about a city based on the moronic few!

I am in Sydney and there are still English people over here that have the stereotype of Glasgow as a town full of hard men and drunks, partially fuelled by an English media who are content to let the stereotype live on!
I don't think they will be telling lies, just getting on the inside of the minority criminal element present in every city. Most of us will never encounter a problem with this minority, but it does exist. I also believe it is drugs fuelling these criminals who have no bounds these days. By the way what is a ned..!

·
5,559 Posts
JUXTAPOL said:
By the way what is a ned..!
It's our version of a chav or a scally. The name isn't a new thing though - it's been going around for about 15 years now. They are chavs in everyway, but are slightly more brutal, stupid and ugly. Stands for Non-Educated Delinquent :)

·
5,559 Posts
maccoinnich said:
Don't call them Neds, or else Rosie Kane will be after you!

:lol: thats right - she'll come round 'n knock **** oot eh me. Good grief that woman is full of tripe.

Juxtapol: great site btw :) It's frightening just how similar the the UK's favourite scum is, even if they are 500 miles apart: http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/

Glasgow's Neds - as with pretty much everything in Glasgow that's Ned related, this site is fairly extreme, but it's absolutely top class :happy: Some serious piss-taking going on here.

·
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
976 Posts
Yeah the NED thing has been around since before I went to Uni in 1995, funny how we developed a name for it before it became Chav down in England.

They are cousines in mentality and fashion though, and my god one of the ugliest species on the planet, I say that as they are not actually human, they are a sub culture that is there is be feared of and amused by their own stupidity.

In Sydney they are called westies, because they mainly live in the west of the city, there attire is different from back homke, but they are in to the same sort of stuff, fighting, stabbing, underage drinking and having babies before they are 14 :)

·
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
976 Posts
My god, sorry, I just can't get over her ugliness, must have had a fair old diet of El Dorada, Bucky, Fried Pizzas and Silk Cut to get her there though!

·
School for Scoundrels
75 Posts
From Documentary to Nedumentary.

Enter the world of the shellsuited soap dodgers. Good to see the pish being ripped outa the wee pricks.

Enjoy! :)

Part. 1

http://dms.tecknohost.com/nedumentary/highres_nedu_pt1.mov

Part.2

http://dms.tecknohost.com/nedumentary/highres_nedu_pt2.mov

PS: they should stream online ok but I found it better/ more convienient and generaly faster (depending on your connection) to just right click over the url and save target as and view them at your leisure. Approx 58 meg each!

1 - 20 of 827 Posts