SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the latest spree of developement, Glasgow has become the second UK city after London to pass the 250 scraper mark. With all of the development being planned it would seem the sky is the limit for the Uks second city. What do you think the glasgow skyline will be like in ten years?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Have you got a site that says otherwise then?

That's the most completed site I've seen for Glasgow. But if someone can prove emporis wrong, I'd be happy to see it. Corporate scum.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a look at the Glasgow development summery. This is only for the Glasgow folk anyway.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
And by the way, I don't think it's something you should be banging on about, the sheer number of highrises in the whole of Glasgow. Boast about all the new glitzy towers you'll be getting and your nice city centre towers, but why on earth would you boast about how many of these you have?

DO boast about these sort of street scenes:

and these sorts of towers

But NOT crumbling airslums! There's so much more to Glasgow than these!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CAW I was not boasting or bashing anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just pointing out to the Glasgow folk we had reached a high rise milestone and asking how they see the city developing in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
5,924 Posts
214 or 250, thats a lot of tall buildings - personally I wouldnt call any of them skycrapers (not yet, anyway). We do have quite a few new towers in the works though.

Caw123 is right, a lot of our talls are nothing to be proud of, but no-one can take away from the fact that Glasgow is a High Rise city - 2nd only to London in the UK.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
The 250 figure (or whatever it is, I've heard 300+ mentioned depends on your definition of "tower" and "glasgow"), will reduce markedly once GHA fire up their wrecking balls.

In the past 6 months we've learnt that,

2 blocks at red road (eventually the lot of them)
2 blocks in Gorbals
1 block in Anderson
Livingstone tower

6 blocks in total (at least, anyone think of any more?) are to be sent to concrete heaven (hell).

and this is just the beginning, as CAW say's if that 250 could be reduced to 10 glass/stone/metallic skyscrapers in the city centre, I'd be a happy bunny.

The national trust could preserve a few examples, Anniesland court a couple others as monuments to sixties/seventies crapness.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just so you know... Emporis no longer has anybody looking after Glasgow and hasn't done for a while now, so it hasn't been updated for a good while. Although it's figures are based on a good solid database, I know there are a number of buildings missing. But I don't think you could refer to any of them as skyscrapers!

·
Administrator
34,924 Posts
there's towers being found everywhere, glasgow isnt unique. i found some in edinburgh last week, i cant believe no one would mention them under construction on this forum, i found one in portsmouth and i managed to find one in nottingham right next to the station. i think there is under counting for almost every british city.
i dont think that this is a title anyway glasgow will hold for much longer as gleegie points out they are speeding up demolition of old concrete blocks and manchester is now development heaven so its bound to overtake glasgow.
whilst we're at it, anyone fancy giving gleegie a hand with my site?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Dunno about that Gothic. Once again it depends what 'Manchester' is. If you compared it urban area vs. urban area it would be closer than city vs. city, but Clydeside would still be ahead I reckon, and still so in 10 years. But after that, who knows?

gleegieboy said:
2 blocks at red road (eventually the lot of them)

The national trust could preserve a few examples, Anniesland court a couple others as monuments to sixties/seventies crapness.
ALL of Red Road? They should preserve one or two of the earliest ones, as they were the tallest residentials in Europe when built.

And those two brutalist masterpieces in Gallowgate should be saved too!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bad thing is though, these council blocks are coming down no time soon. It will take years and years to bring them down, and cost billions of pounds, as thousands and thousands of new homes will have to be built to replace them, and where is the money going to come from for that? Also with the current housing shortage in Glasgow does it make sense to pull them down?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well now we are reaching the 'critical period' for all tower blocks all over the country built in the 60s. As most of them only have a lifetime of 35-30 years before they literally start to fall apart, now is the time when most will be having something done to them, serious renovation or demolition are the options. Often it is cheaper to demolish than renovate.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
aren't they rehabbing some of those towers, aka the "air slums?" i mean, the views from some have gotta be pretty good.

-

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
The bad thing is though, these council blocks are coming down no time soon. It will take years and years to bring them down, and cost billions of pounds, as thousands and thousands of new homes will have to be built to replace them, and where is the money going to come from for that? Also with the current housing shortage in Glasgow does it make sense to pull them down?
Firstly central government has written off Glasgow's crippling housing debt, until recently the council were still paying back the loans they took out in the seventies to demolish all the tenements.

Second, the towers are very badly built and require major structural repairs, you're going to have to spend serious cash in any event, better to rid ourselves of them now whilst we have the chance rather than saddle future generations.

Third there is a housing shortage yes, but NOT a tower block shortage! Many of the blocks sit half empty because noone wants to live in them, check out pgcc's fantastic thread, only the most desperate end up in them. The blocks are socially rented anyway so aren't affected by the property market, it's just that people are much more choosey now as to where to live, hence the west end is bursting at the seams as people jump like rats from a sinking ship from ghost town Maryhill.

Fourth, they have a negative impact on the city's image, character and self confidence, if we have a chance to build something better we should jump at it, although I appreciate this is more than a touch optimistic.

--------------------------------

I felt the same way about Red road, they are coulourful, clustered and have a commanding presence on the skyline. At the end of the day though they're just too badly shot to save, the Herald had a few images of the blocks, looked like they were clad in corrugated iron! They're literally falling apart.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
rob12345 said:
im fed up of hearing about manchester lets hear about glasgow for a change caw
I was merely answering Gothic who brought Manc up first, considering that you put nothing worthy into this forum I suggest you stay quiet.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
And by the way, I don't think it's something you should be banging on about, the sheer number of highrises in the whole of Glasgow. Boast about all the new glitzy towers you'll be getting and your nice city centre towers, but why on earth would you boast about how many of these you have?

DO boast about these sort of street scenes:

and these sorts of towers

But NOT crumbling airslums! There's so much more to Glasgow than these!
Shame this was never built!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts