SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 3321 Posts

·
5,609 Posts
Ahh one of Glasgow's finest threads reborn. Well done for reviving it mate!

I shall contribute what I have, minus the guff that I posted first time round :lol:

I will have to go round and take a new bunch of pics soon...

·
Registered
29,313 Posts
Ive heard the UGC cinema is an unpopular building- I must say I dont mind it- its definetley a noticeable building from the surrounding streets though! It would be nice if Glasgows shopping area was expanded away from buchanan street/argyle street...etc- I found Glasgow to be a great place to shop however, particularly the buchanan galleries.

·
Registered
148 Posts
'It would be nice if Glasgows shopping area was expanded away from buchanan street/argyle street...etc'

There is also Sauchiehall Street and Ingram St and the Italian Centre. If they did expand Glasgow's shopping area, it would be pointless because it would have all the same stores as Buchanan St etc. You are hard pushed to find a store that Glasgow hasnt got, except Selfridges and hopefully that shouldnt be too long coming. Ive also heard that Apple are looking for a store in Glasgow, after they open in Sheffield and Manchester later on this year.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
what's the story here? do fires in glasgow just burn darker than a lot of other places for some reason? i've seen two, with large plumes of smoke this summer; one each weekend i've been to glasgow.

fire number 1 that i saw, on the way to queen street station

fire number 2 was farther out, heading south from queen street station.

-

·
5,609 Posts
Lol LSyd - have you unearthed one of the greatest mysteries the world has ever known?

:lol:

I cant say Ive ever noticed this before - but those are pretty serious fires in those pictures.

Must be something to do with Irn Bru.... what other explanation can there be? ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The title to the first pic said 'bunch of neds set fire to tyres' on the website so theres yer answer :) sorry it wasnt anything more exciting!

Anyone remember a scrap yard beside glasgow airport burning a load of tyres a night last summer? The divs lost control of it,The smoke trail was huge, stopped incoming aircraft for a bit.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
I can certainly vouch for their frequency though I doubt it was neds, you'd need a large quantity of rubber and oil to get that much smoke.

Pretty certain most if not all will be scrapyards burning tyres, there's one huge one down in Renfrew, you quite frequently get huge explosions rattling windows when a petrol tank goes off.

Ned's might steal your car and set it ablaze down some country road and you get jakey's burning old cables to scavenge copper wire. Fire services do come under attack in certain areas, might slow responses.

Dunno, just assumed it happened everywhere. Glasgow prolly has lax environmental controls. I think you have to pay to dump rubbish now so fires and illegal dumping are probably getting more frequent.

A fire in a scrapyard in Renfrew sent clouds of black smoke across the skies of Glasgow last Wednesday. City-centre newspapers didn't need to send photographers to the blaze - they could get dramatic pictures from the roof-tops of their buildings six miles away. The blaze threatened flights at Glasgow airport but fortunately the wind blew the smoke in the opposite direction. But passengers landing at the airport got a spectacular view of the blaze as firefighters used aerial ladders to fight the flames. You can just see an aircraft on the left of the picture which is landing at the airport. I took this picture from the Braehead Shopping Centre which is abiut a mile away. Much of the smoke was due to old tyres and car parts and residents in nearby houses were told to stay indoors and keep their windows closed. Firefighters had to work for nearly 24 hours before they could put out the fire.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Ive heard the UGC cinema is an unpopular building- I must say I dont mind it- its definetley a noticeable building from the surrounding streets though! It would be nice if Glasgows shopping area was expanded away from buchanan street/argyle street...etc- I found Glasgow to be a great place to shop however, particularly the buchanan galleries.
Personally I love the UGC cinema - it may have an unusual finish, but it certainly stands out, and, it's a world record holder for the worlds' tallest cinema.... and it one of our most distinctive buildings - just wish they'd reclad the neighbouring St Andrew's House!

·
Registered
579 Posts
St Andrew's house is one ugly building. It might be difficult to reclad though looking at the thin and closely spaced windows. But they did manage to reclad the office block that became The Pinnacle

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UGC's ok from some angles like buchanan bus station where the elevators can be seen light up at night. Its a bit squat and stumpy from other places though. Im not sure of the the curvy roofline either it looks a bit messy.

Thats the one gleegie!

Thanks for the kind words m_riaz its just a hobby.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
I've been photoshopping some of my better previous pictures, what a difference!

Anyway...
Gardiner street, meaning to capture this view for a while.

Govan (including Napier house) More upmarket tenement estate behind.

Arse end of Glasgow Harbour. I'd kill for a rooftop terrace at the Printworks.

Glasgow uni

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PS just thinking Russell, should the Golden Jubilee hospital not be on the site of those Nissan huts in the aircraft aerial?
Sorry just seen this, do you mean this?

sorry best pic i could find, Isnt it just above left of the erskine bridge,i think its slightly obscured by trees?

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Oh, it was just a passing thought I had when I viewed the aerial. I think it might predate the 1994 construction of the (then) HCI hospital. Not knowing Clydebank at all well, I can't be sure.

I think that's marr Hall or Marr lodge? Glitzy new 5 star hotel? The hospitals on the opposite bank.

1 - 20 of 3321 Posts