SkyscraperCity banner

3321 - 3327 of 3327 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
We've had this for about 20 odd years - time for a refresh of Buchanan Street and a proper greening.I don't know if anyone recalls - but these were meant to be box-clipped along with the ones at St Vincent Place. Trees that old should be twice the height and triple the crown width (probably dwarf species) and they didn't bother with any protection either.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I was watching a documentary about Beethoven the other night (it'll be on iPlayer) and a sequence showed many pedestrian streets in Vienna. The streets were paved very simply (although I can't remember if there were trees), but it struck me that keeping it simple is much more effective.

·
User
16,503 Posts
Im not sure i see much wrong with buchanan street - maybe it feels a bit stale to us due to it having looked the same for so long? But i quite like how the slightly warmer stone paving corresponds to the buildings. And this is obv just personal preference but i wouldnt want big trees along the architecturally grander streets like Buchanan and st vincent - i want look at those buildings!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always thought those puny trees along Buchanan/ lower Sauchiehall St. looked pretty pathetic. Something more substantial, but not too big - perhaps similar to those used in the Avenues scheme would be more befitting.

Also would be nice if they could find a better way to incorporate plants/ shrubs than those depressingly provincial looking plastic tub planters they use.

3321 - 3327 of 3327 Posts