Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
User
18,588 Posts
Little strewn 'meadows', shitty lanes, unused tunnels, derelict toilet blocks - take to the streets or the dissolute minions of civilization will rob us of them all!

·
User
18,588 Posts
That riverside walkway in Botanic Gardens has been shut for more than a year since Hurricane bawbag. Has anybody heard anything?

·
User
18,588 Posts
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/duke-street-roadworks-are-driving-us-crazy-122602n.20921223

A whole article about how "ridiculous" it is to lose 3 car parking spaces to improve life for bus passengers. They speak as if buses were a rarity, when in actual fact the city is awash with them. And who is driving to a *chip shop* anyway? Yawn. As the Council rightly note, most people in Glasgow do not have a car and rely on public transport. No debate necessary. The buses are more important.
I must confess my default reaction to motorist inconvenience is 'good':lol: but as another angle on this - taking the parked cars away increases the pedestrian's perception of risk from moving traffic which can actually impact retail by reducing footfall. So she might have reason to be concerned besides what she's complaining about

·
User
18,588 Posts
Riaz, on wednesday evening the paving was down from iceland til about starbucks and the rest to Great George st was flattened ready for laying. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole block is finished by now/tomorrow.

·
User
18,588 Posts
In my experience of travelling I think Glasgow is particularly bad for litter.

A general enforcement of existing laws (including the ubiquitous presence of dog shite) would be worthwhile. It has been tried in the past to limited success with the now defunct Litter enforcement officers - from the Clean Glasgow Campaign.

It is (and can only be) a personal decision to have civic pride. People can't be forced to take pride in their surroundings.
Nor can they be expected to when their surroundings are a midden of gapsites, cracked pavements and prefab housing.

·
User
18,588 Posts
Which reminds me - anybody know when or if the river walkway in Botanic Gardens will ever reopen? I assume a tree blew over during hurricane bawbag because it's been closed ever since. I miss it.

·
User
18,588 Posts
Was it possibly closed after the huge flood in '94? Wasn't that when the original Ha'penny Bridge just upstream was washed away?
Nah mate it was still open fairly recently, it was a regular haunt of me and my dog. Might be about two years ago now.

·
User
18,588 Posts
Anything over 21 degrees and I'm miserable! If we could just get it to rain slightly less I think glasgow would have the ideal climate.

1 - 20 of 398 Posts