Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
We've got some great quality paving around Glasgow (Merchant City) but some absolutely hideous stuff too (area around Argyle Street at Central Station). Broken slabs, swimming pools forming weekly, I wish a bit more care and attention was spent laying these pavements.

I also get really annoyed when they install new raised bus stops but don't allow new road surfaces to set properly, so we get traffic driving over them, resulting in a warped road surface that just ends up becoming a ravine along the side of the road.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
One of the dirtiest places is Midland Street under Central Station. Sometimes you can't walk on the pavements because the bins block them, and there's loads and loads of rubbish crammed into the alcoves all along the street.

I believe this street was highlighted as one for improvement: the pavements again are a bit of a shamble, especially the northern side, and often the lights don't work.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Looking at those photos reminds me that the Hilton is terribly sited from a pedestrian point of view - such a dingy little road round the back which is the most direct route from Central station. Don't know if there's ever any plan to approve the approach routes to the hotel, but it would be great to see something.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Ahem, 'the 39 steps?'
Yes good to see those, but for me that's not the direct route from Central Station - going along Waterloo Street is the most direct route. Just speaking as someone who used to run events in the hotel and that's the route I always took to the place.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
It also looks a bit daft the way the nice paving ends and merges back into tarmac going up the hill. I must saw when I walked past a few weeks ago I thought the paving was looking great, but it looks like too many compromises have been made. Doesn't look like there's much in the way of drainage, hopefully it won't become a lake after heavy rain.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Unfortunately this problem with bins blights most of the city centre. They used to be "parked" on the road along Midland Street, but they decided that was leading to the road getting narrowed to one lane, so they put them on the pavement forcing pedestrians to walk on the road.

A lot of the mess is unfortunately due to the people who live here. It's true that people just don't care. Many people take the view that it's "providing jobs".

Here's the group set up by the council to deal with these things, although I believe (I've no proof but it happened after they did a bit of media publicity promoting their service) it was them that got Midland Street businesses to put their bins on the pavement, so that's not very promising: https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17179.

Can I just say the council are also responsible for the blight affecting our pavements too? By this I'm talking about things like the advertising boards that they install, like the one on Argyle Street near Debenhams that just causes an obstruction to the flow of people walking along. There's also all the poles with road signs - surely we can be more creative and not clutter our streets up with so many of them?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
The north pavement (outside the Arches) of Midland Street has been dug up this week. Are they finally improving the pavements here?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
North pavement on Midland Street under Central Station appears to have been finished and now they're starting on the south pavement. And yet, it doesn't feel finished.

It's concrete with those little dimples in it under the bridge (as a whole it looks better than what was there before, but it's hardly quality public realm), but at the ends it's tarmac which has been applied so haphazardly as to be ragged and it really looks a mess. I hope they intend to go back over this once they've done the south pavement.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I noticed this when waiting to cross the road in Queen Street earlier. Cars stopped, everyone waited ages for the green man to appear.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Even more concerning is that Glasgow City Council don't appear to have responded to the FOI request, even if it was say they couldn't provide an answer.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Good stuff - great to see some thought put into this. I prefer option 2 as well, makes more sense to extend the public realm around the shops and the gateway to Hampden.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I think a mix of trees can provide visual interest, especially in autumn as they change colour. I can see the appeal of uniformity of trees along a street though. Some of the species choices seem a bit strange though. Might be good to have some silver birch as they look great in all seasons. Early spring they look really fresh and can really brighten an area, and they hold onto leaves really late into autumn.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
You're right we never do seem to finish things. And even when we do seem to finish things, little thought is giving to maintenance to keep buildings/areas in top condition.

Edinburgh with their trams.

Here in Glasgow with things like Fastlink, there's lots of talk, a little bit of work, but nothing ever done right.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts