SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
6,171 Posts
Brilliant stuff M_Riaz.

I'm not sure if I've said this before, but I have to congratulate you on the awesome amount of effort you have put into this forum.

You have really turned this forum into an incredible resource on Glasgow.

Superb.

Cheers mate :eek:kay:

·
6,171 Posts
maccoinnich said:
Has anyone ever seen the birch tree that grows out of a huge rock, just as you're heading into Rannoch moor from the south? Always makes my journey.
Love it.

When I was young, passing that tree ment that we were going to see my Grandma up in Kinlochleven (Glencoe). Back then a week up North in tjhe summer holdidays was better than going abroad to me. Happy days :)

My how things have changed though.....

Anyhoo, great tree/rock, that...

·
6,171 Posts
Thanks for posting the Finneston, Anderson and Springfield dev strategy Mo.

Looks great and all, but don't you think it's just way to ambitious? This is more than redeveloping a part of the city centre - this is entirely rebuilding it. Surely most of the plans are just complete pipedreams that were never really intended to be carried out?

Sure, they can be used for inspiration, but what is the point in dreaming up something that, given our city's current outlook and growth, will never be even half completed?

"Imagine what a London Eye could bring..." - yes, imagine.... :sleepy:

And golden rule #1: never put the Clyde and the Seine next to each other. The results are pretty damn depressing...

·
6,171 Posts
murdomac said:
chief, m riaz is none other than Ste........aaarrgghh......!!!!!!!!!

(sound of body collapsing over keyboard with dagger embedded between shoulder blades)
Nooooooooo!!!11!1eleven!!1!!

And he was so close to revealing Mo's true identity. Will the fair citizens of Glasvegas ever find out who he really is?..

Fantastic rendering, btw Mo - marvelous find :)

·
6,171 Posts
Chief said:
Having spent the past few days in Madrid, I have to say that the public realms here are truly beautiful places to be. They've maintained the character of the historic central areas fantastically well - renewed stone paving, short-height bollards and aesthetically pleasing barriers along the edges of pavements, and many, many stunning plazas and fountains.

I'm now of the opinion that what george square needs is a high profile fountain commission; I think something modern with maybe a hint to the city's shipping past, on a large scale would be a real boost to the area, and give people something to congragate round.
Would love to go to Madrid - glad you're enjoying it :)

With regards to George's Square - it's old news now that something drastic must be done to improve it, but with regards to having a focal point like the fountain you speak of, I think the Column is supposed to be just that. People do gather around it, problem is that it's not that great to look at in the first place...

·
6,171 Posts
Went round Kibble Palace on Saturday - it was very pleasant and quite impressive, considering it's free. Doesn't take long to navigate, though. There's a great sense of space in the middle area - plenty of trees, plants and sculptures(?!) to look at and all that, but not so much that you don't know where to look next..

The Glass House was also quite enjoyable (and nice nad warm :)) - the pyramidal centre is cracking inside. It's not in the same league as, say, Aberdeen's 'Winter Gardens', but it's grand none-the-less.

IMO a visitor centre seems slightly unnecessary to be honest - the park is so small it's contents and layout are pretty self explanatory. A cafe of some description would still be top of my list for additions for the Botanics.

·
6,171 Posts
Lolz-a-tron, I was chased up the big hill in Kelvingrove park coming home from the library in 1st year. It was about 12 oclock and I was knackered - I couldn't be bothered to go the long way round to Park Circus so I just cut through... biggest mistake I've made since moving to Glasgow....

I was ok, mind - I've never ran so fast up a hill in my whole life! But it just goes to show - it's no urban legend :(

·
6,171 Posts
Yep, from my point of view you are absolutely right, Istanbul05.

The Clyde should not become a long line of private property and a yuppie mecca where only the well paid get anywhere near large chunks of the riverside.

Of course, every flat/house/skyscraper needs it's own private property for the residents to use exclusively (when you pay so much you at least deserve some private land to go with it), but these areas should be set back from the river front, so that both the public and the resident can enjoy views and space beside the water.

The best example I can think of where this is the case is in Vancouver. All around the bay (which surrounds downtown on 3 sides), there is a large public walkway for everyone to use, and then slightly set back from this are the 20-30 story condo's. These condos have their own gardens and spaces which are slightly raised from the pedestrian areas, giving them the same view of the water (if not better) and their own private space away from the public. It seems to be a pretty good way of working it - everyone gets what they want.

So if people start building properties right on the riverside here in Glasgow, there is no space to have two separate areas for both parties, and this is a terrible flaw. At the end of the day, money talks, and so the residents will end up privatizing the land if developers keep on building so close to the riverside.

This, as we have said before, is absolutely unacceptable.

·
6,171 Posts
Herald
However, the team behind the proposal face a string of objections, chief among them the principle that a public building is being used for commercial purposes.
What?! Whoever complained about this is an IDIOT.

How dare someone take an abandoned waste of space, eyesore and all round health hazard and change it into a health food cafe!

Honestly! You'd think this city was wanting to make people eat healthier or something!

And it's a public building? Used to promote a healthy lifesyle? Not on my watch!

IDIOTS.

·
6,171 Posts
I used to play on that pitch all the time (my last flat was sehr close to it), and it was nothing short of a disgrace. I used to see some of the youth teams playing on it on Sundays; they didn't want to tackle for fear of sliding into broken glass/boulders/marshy red ash/giant pot-holes, and they had no idea were the ball was going next if it was played along the deck due to the atrocious surface.

Getting rid of that pitch and replacing it is essential - I've never played on such a mess in my life.

Also, the great astroturf pitch at Hyndland is owned by the school (I think), as such it's almost impossible to get a game there.

·
6,171 Posts
Going off topic here, but nonetheless,

I used to play there every monday night. Great surface too. The guy that organised it said that it was a nightmare getting it booked tho. Because of the PPP thing, the school aren't in charge (or at least, didn't appear to be) of it during after-school hours and he ended up doing a three hour phone chase through the cooncil to get the person responsible. Mibbe its better now, I dunno - haven't played there for a couple of years now.
Actually I think it's still on-topic - the pitch is part of the city's public realm afterall. And I agree - it's a fantastic playing surface in a good area, but as you said its just impossible to get a game there. Admittedly we've never tried to book it (didn't even know where to start) but I can't remember the last time I walked past the pitch and it wasn't being used (apart from at, like, 3 o'clock in the morning).

Thankfully we got to use the pitches at Garscube instead - played a 6's league on the really good imitation grass pitch for a couple of terms - it's easily the best surface I've played on - seemingly Kilmarnock (or Motherwell, can't remember) train on it, the pitch is that good.

What a difference it makes, too, and that's why that god-awful ash pitch should be destroyed.

·
6,171 Posts
Yeah the lighting at night is great - I took a walk along the bridge the other day and the finishing is of a very high quality - as you say - it makes a really nice change.

I've been waiting for a good night to go out and get some snaps of it myself... but it's always either been to wet or too bright to do anything...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts