SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My old memory might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure when the public realm works were carried out in the main shopping areas of Sauchiehall/Buchanan/St Enoch about ten years ago, it was mooted that the old bus turning circle in St Enoch Square be turned into a water feature of some sort...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Absolute nonsense - DHP have had permission to demolish the auditorium block since Decemeber, without even having to have a contract in place for the replacement building, but have done nothing about it - just as they have with the mounting number of schemes they've easily gotten permission for here.

Possibly not entirely unrelated to the fact that the development across West Regent Street has been largely empty since completing a couple a years ago now, and they're just proposing more of the same...?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yeah, I was crossing the pedestrian suspension bridge at Carlton Place recently and noticed half the floodlighting on most of the bridges is out.

I'd really rather they didn't bother at all than do it then budget bugger all for maintenance on public realm. Crap quality public realm works are slightly less depressing than good quality stuff poorly maintained.

(And don't get me started on the Doulton Fountain, which clearly has major plumbing issues - but rather than fix it properly, GCC seem content just to let the water fall on the terracotta itself, damaging it and making it mouldy, occasionally jet-washing the latter off...)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I hope the Clyde cycle path is getting the works, it's a pretty grim affair these days - around Dalmarnock, it's bumpy as buggery with tree roots growing through the tarmac, and graffiti-strewn walls behind the various showmen compounds.

I did notice as I used it the other day that the area where the new pedestrian bridge is going in has been cleared of trees and undergrowth. Get a nice view now of the old Strathclyde Primary School building on the Dalmarnock side.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'd be more impressed if they could look after the stuff they refurbished at a cost of £4 million only 8 years ago. Behold the Doulton Fountain, which has been gubbed for at least a year - I complained to a local councillor for the area last year, after which the mould was jet-washed off, but without sorting the underlying plumbing problems, it's pointless.

Hardly any of the upper tiers of spouts are working, and those that do are falling short of the pond and straight onto the terracotta bits below, causing it to chip and go mouldy. Who do I have to piss and moan to in order to get something done before it falls into ruin and gets fenced off in classic GCC style?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Can't remember if it was on here, but someone mentioned that the harsh winters of '10-'11 and '11-'12 froze and damaged the pipework, and it hasn't been properly repaired since - although you'd have thought after that kind of restoration, some kind of cut-off would have been installed to prevent that happening.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Surely some kind of temperature sensor that cuts the pump off when it falls to a certain level? Though I'd imagine that would still leave water in the pipes.

They must have fountains in countries colder than this, how do they work without being damaged in cold weather?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Take that underpass most days to and from work.

The issues were apparent almost since day one. The red surface is too soft so holes started appearing in it with the old surface poking through quite quickly. In addition, it started fading almost immediately. Looks like there were some half-arsed attempts to experiment with painting it - there's an unsightly patchwork of test squares in different shades now in the northern section of it.

Utility companies then started digging it up within months. Initially, they made some effort to match the original finish but usually with a different shade of red. The most recent stuff where they haven't even bothered and just used black was the work of Scottish Gas Networks, as I recall.

There was an historical drainage issue which they seemed not to solve during the work. Not only run-off water into the underpass from the ramps but also the two road bridges over it flood during heavy rain - when cars drive through these, you get a delightful screen of muddy puddle water pouring over the edge. I suspect that's where a lot of the mud comes from, blocking the drains and exacerbating the problem.

Then there's the litter - mostly wind-blown (and it's frankly a disgrace all the way up Garscube Rd) but not helped by the fact that there isn't a single bin.

As mentioned, the lights were gubbed for months and have only gone back on recently. Still, a good chunk of them are out and covered in pigeon shit and muck from puddle spray.

I liked this when it first opened but now wish they'd spent the money on a more traditional scheme with durable materials and more thought towards maintenance.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
What bugs me even more about this place is that even when we do it right, we ignore maintenance. Look at the Garscube Road flowers underpass, the floodlighting on the bridges over the Clyde, the poor repairs to the areas given the granite treatment in the last 20 years. I watched in horror the other week as an area outside the Piping Centre was dug up by Scottish Water then the flags tossed and a large tarmac patch put in.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I broached the issue of a Greater Glasgow mayor here last year but the general opinion was mixed.

Neighbouring authorities seem to be a bit of an issue - there was general outrage in my local rag the other week when it was suggested that Rutherglen and Cambuslang be merged back into Glasgow - mostly from our former MP. I rather got the impression I was the lone voice of assimilation...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Paving outside the Piping Centre getting a wee bit of a makeover - this was previously a fairly pointless bit of dense, jaggy hedge that just trapped windblown rubbish, should be more useful during the Piping Festival.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts