Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
It would be an excellent alternative if the stairs at the Royal Concert Hall are taken away. Although I don't think there's much room on Buchanan Street as it is:(

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
I quite like the idea of the "Vertical Garden", if its done properly. Imagine all of the ugly buildings we can hide;)

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
The footbridge will help reconnect Anderston with the city centre. I'd rather see it completed than remain in its current state.

I'd love for that part for that part of the motorway to be covered over, though I'm not sure how financially viable it would be.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
Misleading title!

Glasgow to get trams in Argyle Street revamp

FOR centuries it has been one of Glasgow's great streets, alive to the bustle of shoppers, but in recent years its bright light has dimmed. Now Argyle Street is to be revamped through café culture.
An ambitious new plan to erect a café and a series of shops that will run through the centre of the pedestrianised street in the style of the trams of the past has been granted planning permission by Glasgow City Council.

The two-storey street café as well as seven other market kiosks are set to become a new focus for a street that is perceived as in decline and populated with too many bargain stores. The new look is expected to link the street closer to the city's rebranded 'Style Mile', an area of popular shopping streets around nearby Buchanan Street.

The project will involve replacing old street lighting with brighter winter lights, removing a public toilet and redundant phone boxes and erecting a café with roof terrace and pavement dining facilities.

The design is inspired by the old trams that once travelled along the street. The application for the revamp of the pedestrian section of Argyle Street was unanimously passed by the planning applications committee at Glasgow City Council yesterday. The aim of the revamp is to create a better connection with Buchanan Street.

Glasgow city council leader Gordon Matheson, whose ward takes in Argyle Street, said: "This is an important milestone in the ongoing regeneration of Glasgow's city centre. This project will not only see the physical regeneration of this section of Argyle Street but will help to improve the experience of those people living, working, visiting or shopping in this part of Glasgow.

"The revamp will ensure we continue to cultivate an attitude and look that meets our aspirations for the continual growth of Glasgow's shopping heart by creating a fantastic experience for tourists to visit and locals to enjoy."

In recent years the Argyle Street retailers' Association has complained about a series of issues it believes have contributed to the perception of decline in the street such as lack of winter lighting, poor street lighting and too many pound shops.

The new project was supported by Stuart Patrick, chief executive of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce who said: "This latest investment in Glasgow's Style Mile is most welcome given the performance of the city centre is such an absolutely essential component of Glasgow's economic recovery.

"Tremendous strides have been made in regenerating the city centre and establishing Glasgow as one of Europe's must-visit shopping cities.
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Glasgow-to-get-trams-in.6653335.jp

It'll either look great, or tremendously tacky.

For Argyle Street to be truly restored we need to get rid of the low rise crap around the Argyle Station, it is a blight on an otherwise fine street.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
Public Realm improvements to the waterside. Excellent news.
SHAME OF ‘DISGUSTING’, RAT-INFESTED NO-GO ZONE JUST A SHORT WALK FROM FROM GLASGOW’S STYLE MILE WATERFRONT DISGRACE

23 Feb 2012
NAILS are sticking out, rubbish is piling up and there is a rat infestation – just yards from Glasgow’s Style Mile.

The banks of the River Clyde behind the St Enoch Centre are described as “disgusting” .

The waterfront, just off Clyde Street, is used every day by hundreds of people who sit on the benches or cycle, jog or walk along the bank.

Several plans to regenerate the area – including a £200million proposal for floating restaurants, shops and luxury flats – fell through.

However, the council has now agreed to clean up the area this summer as part of £600,000 of public realm improvements

This is clearly an area in need of considerable attention I have received numerous complaints about the walkway and suspension bridge, where flooding and vandalism have been problems for several years
Its promise came as calls were made to find a long term solution.

One of the most obvious problems in the area is the lack of a proper drainage system, which means rain that hits there has nowhere to go. That lets water build up.

It is something Hector McDonald, a builder who works near the area and walks along it every day, claims is a “death trap”.

The 47-year-old, from Riddrie, said: “The rain means massive puddles – that’s a potential death trap if they freeze and someone slips. I have almost fallen a number of times.”

The seats for the old bandstand are also in a state of disrepair. Wood has dislodged from the concrete, resulting in jagged wood and nails sticking out.Broken bottles, discarded food and other debris are also strewn throughout the walkway.

Mr McDonald added: “It is disgusting and it should be shut on health and safety grounds. I walk down here most days and it is getting worse. It is rat infested because of the amount of rubbish lying around.

“I want to be proud of this city. This place needs to be cleaned up for the people of Glasgow – and because we have the Commonwealth Games coming soon.”

Susan Nicol, general manager of the nearby St Enoch Centre, said the waterfront needed a lot of work.

She said: “We have been in regular talks with Glasgow City Council about the vicinity directly behind the centre and would welcome and support any initiatives it has to change it for the better.

“At such a short distance from Glasgow’s highly regarded Style Mile, this is clearly an area in need of considerable attention.”

THE council owns the bulk of the land around this stretch of Clyde Street, but the area around the bandstand is in the hands of the Santander bank.

Australian tycoon Rodney Price’s multi- million plans to transform the waterfront were scrapped more than two years ago after the developer went bankrupt, with a further proposal also folding because of the recession.

With no private investment on the horizon, the council has agreed to spend £600,000 on basic repair work – including new surfacing, enhanced lighting, reducing the height of walls and the thinning of shrubs – in an attempt to make the space better for public use.

Councillor Craig Mackay, who represents City Centre And Anderston, said he would continue to push for further improvements.

He said: “I have received numerous complaints about the walkway and suspension bridge, where flooding and vandalism have been problems for several years.

“The condition of the walkway is unacceptable, particularly as visitors to the city are naturally drawn to the riverfront.”

MR MACKAY added: “While the area would be revamped as part of any large developments there, several schemes have been proposed and all have failed to materialise.

“Meantime, the area has continued to deteriorate while council departments bounce responsibility between each other.”

Local Labour councillor Philip Bratt said the council must look at “every viable proposal to regenerate this area as we have done along other parts of the riverfront”.

He added: “For any community to feel secure and proud of its living environment, cleanliness must be a priority.

“It is important the area is properly cleared of all refuse and I welcome the public realm improvements.

“However, a long-term solution to this problem will only result from a viable proposal to develop this stretch of the river.”

A council spokeswoman said it would welcome any “positive proposal” that could contribute to the regeneration of the waterfront.

She added: “In the meantime, the council will be investing £600,000 on public realm improvements in the area.”

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
Thank god that space is getting sorted out. A temporary park will do just fine until after the Games. I was getting concerned that there was nothing happening with the site and there was no sign of a mystery fire either...
Didn't the shops burn down not too long ago?

I wish temporary parks were the norm for long-term gap sites.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
I'm torn. I appreciate the icon that the cone has become, but at the same time I feel the joke has became stale and now it just looks sort of tacky. I don't think a raised plinth would make a difference though. The cone will find a way.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
Johnny, I know you're just joking matey, but there's a rule in place to keep politics out of the main forum. It doesn't end well.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
Where did this one come from? Did they relocate it from another part of the city? There are four that I know of, at least.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
They are removing public space and replacing it with an entrance to a shopping centre. How could you possibly view that as an improvement? Why should private development (partly funded with public money) take precedence over public realm?

Even without considering how dodgy that is, a glass cylinder does nothing to improve what's there. The current facade, while hardly exciting, has good quality stone and curvature, it bookends the street in a respectable manner.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
An outsider's perspective, especially from a city like London is always appreciated. And your critique largely echoes our own. I'd happily pay higher taxes if I knew the money went towards public realm (and especially street trees)

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
Something interesting planned for Tontine Lane, temporary for now at least:

Coming Soon! - Tontine Lane will be transformed into an animated environment offering a pop up Belgian Beer Cafe Bar, dining & the very best in Scottish street food. Art installations, cinematic projection, music, specialty stalls and cultural performance will also enhance this singularly urban space! Follow us on facebook, twitter & instagram for all Tontine Lane info & announcements!
https://www.facebook.com/TontineLane?fref=photo

The masterminds behind Candleriggs Square, the Fish Plaice and Healthy T at T in the Park are working together on a new collaboration on at Tontine Lane as part of this year's Merchant City festival, which runs from July 25 until August 2.

The market Tontine Lane will offer a Belgian beer cafe bar, speciality Scottish street food, art installations, cinematic projections, music, specialty stalls and cultural performances.

Sub Club owner Ricky Scoular, Electric Frog organiser Brian Traynor and Festival 2014 Food and Drink Manager Hilary Goodfellow have all come together on the project.

Tontine Lane will have a strong emphasis on music with performances from local and internationally renowned DJs as well as a number of live gigs.

The event is supported by Year of Food and Drink funding so will offer the very best in food and drink, using the finest locally sourced ingredients from the Scottish larder.
http://glasgow.stv.tv/articles/1320...erchant-city-festival-on-july-25-to-august-2/

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
It basically feels like an airport. Grey buildings, budget hotels, surface car parks and vast expanses of wasted space. I rather wish they had left some of Queens Dock unfilled, because all it did was encourage this low density crap to be built on it.

·
Hipster Scum
5,685 Posts
I'd open up the whole street to traffic with minimal parking, Argyle Street too. The pedestrianised sections are dying slow deaths and are basically forced to be retail focused rather than diversifying.

They also block major East-West routes through the city centre, causing congestion on alternate routes.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts