SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
That looks beautiful, will pop into Glasgow tomorrow and have a gander.

On another note, I had a walk round Alexandra Park the other day (I'm doing 3 different Glasgow parks a week, and they've all been fantastic) and the cast iron fountain in there is absolutely stunning, forged by Saracen Foundry. It does however need some renovation. Any plans abound for that?

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
I love the walled garden in Bellahouston, and this will complement it beautifully. Really pleased with that.

milton, In what way on the slide? Not a dig, just wondering what you feel isn't up to par?

Personally, aside from a lot of the parks needing new outer railings and one or two of the big parks needed revamped community spaces (although this is progressing) I'm very happy with their overall quality.

I try to visit at least 3 different Glasgow parks every time I get the chance to go home, i'm up to about 35 now. I photograph them too. The parks that have needed most work that i've visited so far have been in the North of the city, namely Ruchill and Springburn Parks. So much potential there though.

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
I think part of the problem is that Glasgow has too many parks. I believe we have more per head than any other city in Europe (or very close to it). I'd rather we turned some parks over to common grassed land. The upkeep is obviously lower (just needs cut) and then the savings could be ploughed back into the other parks.
It is obviously important that the remaining parks have a good geographic distribution around the city! Springburn park badly needs its winter gardens restored (along with its burgh hall) and real community focal points. The money would be well spent there.

As for park issues:
Railings to me is the most obvious, and give an impression of the park before you've even entered it. In virtually all of the parks they need to be replaced/restored. Abandoned buildings, I must confess I've seen a couple but certainly not what i would call "many". I believe in the case of Queens park the new bandstand/performance area has the go ahead. In the case of Kelvingrove, there finally seems to be movement with the bandstand there being turned over to GBPT. Kings park, i saw the trees cut down last time i was there (some new planting in the park too). What was the problem? Trees diseased?

Litter i'm afraid is a city wide problem and needs to be tackled by education and financial penalty. However I will say that having lived in Paris for the last 18 months, Glasgow is comparitively spotless.

Two final questions.
What do people feel about having the Parks service run by an arms length company? Not for profit, same set up as museums.

Are there any areas that you think a new park should be installed? Indeed any parks you think should be turned over to grassland/other uses?

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
Funny enough I've been doing the same thing as that chap, up to 20 parks at the moment and they've been fantastic. I must admit that they have been some of the bigger parks though.

There does seem to have been some budget cuts though, some flower beds not planted this year, and in general a bit less tidy than in previous years.

I actually think there are too many "parks". Could some of them not be turned into "commons", that require a bit less maintenance and upkeep. Money saved then goes into the remaining parks.

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
That particular park, Richmond park, is due to be completely overhauled as part of that development anyway. Some plans can be found on the GCC website. Sorry I'd link to it but am on my phone.

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
As there is a chance that the statues will be moved from George Square, where would you put them and why?

I'd put Victoria and Albert on their horses, facing each other, at the entrance to the Kelvingrove Museum. I'd also install a fountain either side as shown, with seating around them. I think that would finish off the front (rear?) of the Kelvingrove.

Sir Walter Scott on his pedestal, perhaps in the centre of St Enoch Square? It could be seen from the top of Buchanan Street, and from the other side of the river.

Any ideas for the rest? Is there still a police museum in Glasgow? (If not, why not) Robert Peel could of course be in front of that.

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
Maybe put Victoria and Albert in the Southside, on Victoria Road?

Victoria on the green space where Victoria Road and Pollokshaws Road split? Albert further up in the centre of the road (a la Edinburgh) where Victoria Road is intersected by Albert Road and Albert Drive?

Glasgow does still have a police museum (why is more not made of this??) on Bell Street. Get the statue of Robert Peel outside of that.

Scott Monument in St Enoch Square as shown.

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
I went through all of their surveys. There are some good proposals for each park. Would encourage people to fill these in as it is a chance to have your say on the future direction of each park.

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
Thanks. What a shame. Largest terracotta fountain in the world and they won't spend the money to maintain it.

I'm just an interested layman with these things, but when a company restores a fountain, or anything else for that matter, do they have a period where they have to maintain it? Or is that up to the council to pay an annual fee for the company/other party to undertake routine maintenance/cleaning?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts