Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Back ground is that these are private walkways owned by the residents of Mavisbank Quay and Waterfront Development at Tradeston, council want to open the walkways for a public and cycle path, previously they didnt want to take on the public liability which at present the residents are liable for.

After many years of debate and protests from the resident owners of the walkways GCC have come round the table to do a feasibility to see where they can finance the opening and upgrades of the walkways.
I had always assumed there was a continuous public path all the way up to the Science Centre. Hopefully they can come to an agreement and get it opened up.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Thats good to hear. Its one of my favourite bridges, which no doubt will carry scheduled passenger trains again one day.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Caithness slate paving, a la Merchant City being installed on George Street at Strathclyde Uni and up past the new Z Hotel area - I suspect Z Hotels have requested it be carried out.....
The pavements around there were in pretty bad condition so that's good to hear.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Took a walk along the Byres Rd to Kelvinbridge section of Great Western Road today and my god the public realm is in a really bad way. Nothing has been maintained - pavements, bins, poles, phone boxes, all crumbling. Perhaps the money being spent renovating statues in Kelvingrove Park would have been better spent here.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Will anything be done about High Street, specifically the section from Duke St up to the Cathedral? I walked up there today and it was dead. Considering its one of the main approaches to Cathedral Square/Necropolis the public realm is really poor and the shopfronts are not well maintained. It needs an action plan to bring it back to its former glory and make it the impressive thoroughfare it could and should be.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
That bridge is going nowhere. I'm mildly optimistic well see a local Crossrail scheme one day. Seventeen Acres planning approval requires the route to be protected.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Roddy_ said:
This has the potential to be one of the most amazing spaces in the city : it has everything.

• Top of a key route , discovered upon reaching the apex of the High St or John Knox St
• Adjacent another fantastic public space, Cathedral Precinct, with the possibility of linking to it in some way
• Notwithstanding the Drygate flats , fronted by some astonishing buildings.
• Some very fine statuary , an old police box and on old public convenience which could be converted
• Astonishing panorama of the Necropolis , and views of the Cathedral
• Some decent mature trees
• History wherever you point a camera . Drygate martyrs etc
• A phenomenal potential place of assembly for public marches/ meetings / protests , great place to have lunch if you are a nurse / doc at the Royal and a good photo op for graduating students at the Barony, to say nothing of the enhanced tourist offering this could be.

Wow....The list is endless.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere on a pleasant day is just that-it's just that it could be so much more....

Shamefully ignored for such a long time.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Agree 100%. Also replace the surface car park opposite Cathedral Precinct with some nice landscaping. Maybe we could relocate the Cenotaph there too.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
The pavements on Great Western Road between Byres Road and Kelvinbridge really need some investment. The bridge itself is fine but the rest ranges from poor to bloody awful. It can't be giving a good impression to the tourists who stay in the hotels and guest houses along there. At the very least they could sort out the pavements outside the shops/cafes - granite paving, new street furniture etc. The remaining sections just need some new tarmac.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
jim.st said:
Yeap....the streets around Finnieston are a disgrace, esp when you think about the amount of footfall in the area now from the hydro etc. all the new restaurants with their outside seating and pavements looking like something from a war zone....... Gives a great impression to tourists x
The council do have some strange priorities. Last year they spent 500k on granite paving in the tourist Mecca that is Possilpark!

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
andysco said:
Got some inside info on the Sauchiehall Street proposals.

The whole street is to be narrowed to two lanes, with wider pavements, trees and cycle lanes. Bins are to be relocated into designed holders (perhaps sunk in)

And here's one; Scott Street to be pedestrianised and turned into 'Spanish Stairs' (actual stairs) linking the Art School to Sauchiehall Street.
Hopefully the stairs will be decorated with an image of CRM or something suitably artistic.

Some examples of what's been done elsewhere: http://www.boredpanda.com/most-beautiful-steps-stairs-street-art/

1 - 20 of 133 Posts