SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
It'd be nice if they'd do up the glasshouses in Queen's Park too, and there are some in the East End too that I don't know what they're called. Think they're derelict.. would be nice to see investment spread about a bit.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
If they really want to fix up the bandstand, they need to also address the way that the area in which the bandstand sits relates to the rest of the park and the road.
Many trees need cut back around the river, lighting needs installed throughout the park, and the police need to crack down on the rentboys and clients. This applies to the park at the other side of the road too, and the path behind the Art Galleries. I'm fed up of people beng afraid to use our parks after dark.
They should do the same in Glasgow Green as well, having prostitutes and clients in the area doesn't make it a useable part of the urban fabric after dark.
If people want a *****/rent-boy, they should take them to their own home, not litter our parks with discarded rubber.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
Defo not an urban ledgen. I've lived at the Fiineston end of Kelvin Way, and the Woodlands side of the park on and off for 9 years. Walking down Kelvin Way at night I've seen all sorts - rent boys, gangs of neds out 'gay bashing' (including an ambulance pulled up to deal with a stabbing).. also, walk along the riverside paths and look off the paths themselves. Spent condoms everywhere.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
Haha - brilliant! I'd never put the two of those together before.
I wonder if they'll do anymore free concerts again? I went to the one in the Park years ago, and then the one in the Botanics a couple of years back... great days. The Botanics one was especially good as it had been the most rotten summer, and that day was glorious sunshine!
Someone should do a gig in Kelvingrove, with a stage set up on the path, using the hill as a natural amphitheatre.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
No thanks. I want the station re-opened as part of the actual rail network or extended subway using the many existing dissused tunnels in the city.
Me too, but because some short-sighted ARSE at the council allowed building of flats on the line, either CPOs or a costly skirting around would be required:

Sorry about the rubbish quality - did that on paint! :lol:
Anyhoo, the flats are in the red box, and the dotted line is the train line. Bit of a problem.

Who the hell allowed that? Seriously? They should be put in stocks in George Square.
Or Kelvin Way.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
I think the other place there'd be problem would be at Kelvinbridge. You would need to reinstate a crossing over the Kelvin at the Big Blue (the bridge might still be okay - it's the one with trees on it..).. but quite apart from that, the park area beside Kelvinbridge subway station would be bisected by the rail line.
I'm not wanting to sound negative here, because I would like the line, but those areas are established parts of the West End, and it'd be difficult to change that (I wish more was made of that area beside the subway station already.. it's crying out for an injection of life.. riverside cafes, etc..)

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
Those pics are of the toilet block on Gibson Street for which there is a seperate application - I think the buliding this applies to is the free-standing block down near the flower garden and football pitch..

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
Hmm, I can see their point to an extent. 4-a-side? Who the hell plays 4-a-side?

I do like the scheme though, it's been crying out for a makeover.

But.. I'm not convinced that having the market outside is the best idea. We're always wishing that we had markets that are as popular as those you see in countries like France or Spain, but the weather here is such a pain. Anyway, I have decided upon the best place for a market - would it not be wonderful to see the derelict school baths on Byres Road refurbished and turned into a community facility/market place?

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
I went along to the market on Saturday, and it had a great wee selection of stalls. The only thing I thought wrong with the market itself was that it is only twice a month in that location. For the last couple of years, Edinburgh has had its main farmers market every Saturday, and even in darkest winter it always seems to get a good turn out.

Actually, speaking of great indoor markets though, anybody ever been to Pike Place market in Seattle? (Yes, where they throw the fish.) I wish there was anything comparable in Scotland.
Macc - it's because on the alternate Saturdays the guys running those stalls are at the other Glasgow farmer's market in Queen's Park on the South Side.
I agree though, it's be good if they could work out a way to have it every week..

but that site has got 'luxury apartments' written all over it.
I reckon you have a point about the pitch being under-used, legs, but if we are to have a decent pitch, it should probably be of at least 5-a-side size.
Sadly, I bet you're dead right about the site on Byres Road too.

SNP are such whores. Good luck to the Friends of Mansfield Park, this little scheme and the people who have given their all to making it happen should be applauded and the nay-sayers given a good slap.
Crusty - if councillors have their voters moaning at them about something, they have to at least be seen to look into it. If the SNP ignored these concerns, there'd be plenty (not yourself of course) only too happy to say "the SNP are shit, they got voted in and now they're ignoring the concerns of their constituents".
I know you don't like them, and that's fair enough, but is there anything any politician can do that we can't paint in a negative light somehow?

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
The sustrans thing is good, and I don't want to moan... but surely for a hundredth of the price, we could make the pedestrian crossing at Anderston train station nicer and cycle friendly, and spend the rest of the cash on.. I don't know - improving cycle lanes elsewhere in the city?

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
I dunno, it might be brilliant, or it might be a case of jack-of-all-trades, master of none. I think they need to define exactly what they want to do with it, then target and press forward as intensely as possible.

wrt the one in Kelvingrove, my feeling has always been that its location will always hamstring attempts to regenerate.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
Not sure what you mean here? Too close to other West End facilities/performance spaces of similar type? Access? Slightly shady (and dare I say it, undeserved?) reputation of Kelvin Way?
Just that the park is the focal point, and in my opinion one of the worst things about kelvingrove is that it largely turns its back on the river. The bandstand is particularly bad for that, as well as being jammed in that shady rubbish bit, If it was up to me, I'd rip out most smaller trees and bushes between Kelvin Way and the river, putting a lawn all the way down, with a fence as close to the water as possible. I'd replicate this on the other side in the park itself, all the way along to the back of the Art Galleries, so that the river was the star (this would also, along with better lighting, discourage the unsavoury side of the park... ffs guys, take it home! Fucking in a park is the sort of thing I expect of neds and their horrible sengas).

All the above would leave the question of the bandstand. I would make this some sort of multi-purpose removable structure beside/on the road at the bottom of the hill. The hill itself would be the amphitheatre.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
That looks fantastic. Really happy with it.

I would say, however, that a great deal of Bellahouston Park needs tidied up and looked after. As is the case with most our parks, really. Things are on the slide.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
milton, In what way on the slide? Not a dig, just wondering what you feel isn't up to par?

Personally, aside from a lot of the parks needing new outer railings and one or two of the big parks needed revamped community spaces (although this is progressing) I'm very happy with their overall quality.
Railings, abandonned flower beds, litter, eyesore park buildings.. I go to Queen's Park a lot, and the litter there is appalling. King's Park has been halfway ruined by removal of a chunk of the trees.

Kelvingrove is great.. but the trees around the river have been left to grow to excess. What sort of madness is it that a park with a river running through it makes NO feature of that river? I'd remove two-thirds of the trees by the river, put down turf to the water's edge, and install lighting. If folk desperately need a blowjob, they can go to their home or a public toilet, and piss off out of the park.

Glasgow Green is windswept. With litter. Again.
Also, at night there are whores plying their trade. Same deal as the rentboys in KP, they can get tae ****. I realise perfectly that there will always be those issues, and I want to protect the workers, but I see no reason why public areas should be fearfully no-go after dark.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
^^ Two words describe these people, "selfish barstewards".

Hopefully the complainants read that article back and realise how stupid they come across. Clearly they weren't happy that the scenery was ruined, but that's nature for you. Their lack of alternatives or even understanding and their reasoning is unbelievable. Infact,:nuts: :lol:
Those people may be wanks, but that council report is also bullshit. I was in King's Park recently and it's a real mess.
The trees have been felled en masse over a large block area.
Then the felling stops.
Abruptly and in a line.
So, according to the council, the ones removed were the ones "which were identified as being unstable and those at a height where there was a serious risk of them being blown over by the wind."

Really? So the ones "identified" suddenly stopped in a straight line, and then they were all okay again?

I call utter utter bullshit. Someone's fucked up and is now spouting shit in an attempt to cover it up.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
If the place is a mess, and that is their problem, why didn't they (rightly) just complain to the paper about the visual impact? Why mention all the other tosh? It looks more like a mud throwing process from these folk.

Arboriculture is not an exact science. There isn't a hand held meter that accurately tells the council whether each tree is "safe" or "unsafe". Risk management is the name of the game.

Without specific knowledge I wouldn't want to make assumptions, but there are many possible reasons why a specific area was felled; it is quite possible that the council identified a problem species in the specific area, it may be that the geology/ground conditions of the specific area were causing problems, it may have been the location itself, they may even have considered historical data. I cant see anything in the article to suggest incompetence or wrongdoing on the part of GCC.

In what way have they "fucked up"? The forestry Comission regularly remove large areas of woodland on safety grounds. Do they also "**** up" or is it only classed as a "**** up" when its big bad GCC doing the work?
The Forestry Commission work to considerably different parameters of work than a council does when assessing a park. If the Forestry Commission decide that a plantation is unviable and remove it, then they may well be making a decision that is reasonably arbitrary, and involves an "excessive" response. That's fine - they have a lot of land to play with/deal with, and it's unlikely to meet with particular opposition, unless certain flora or fauna are directly affected. I can bore you on bat issues, for example, if you like.

This situation is nothing like that. I'm judging the council on their own words. I repeat: the trees removed were those "which were identified as being unstable and those at a height where there was a serious risk of them being blown over by the wind".

So the council is saying that those identified equalled a big hand-slap across an area. To go back to your comparison, that is what the Forestry Commission do, and with good reason: they are dealing with forests. On the sides of mountains. The council is, in this case, dealing with a few hundred trees in a park, and they've chopped down half of them in a straight line.
I'm not convinced that they've "identified" those individually of anything, and I doubt you are either. I'd be fascinated to know why the council didn't identify any other trees beyond that given point. Arboriculture is actually an exact enough science that the council's TPO would identify those that lie beyond that new tree-line as being potentially in trouble. But no.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
The council never said they identified the trees "individually", so unlike your previous statement you are not "judging the council on their own words". You are assuming a particular methodology should be used without knowing the circumstances. Like I said, I don't know the reason for criteria set for the removal, but to claim it was an arbitrary decision seems to be nothing more than conjecture to suit a particular viewpoint on GCC.

Anyway, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Well we can agree to disagree, but I've seen this first hand, and we are talking about straight lines. So every tree on this side of said line was supposedly "identified as being unstable", and not one tree on that side of said line was "identified as being unstable", according to that statement.
I've been out on TPO assessments, but to be honest I don't think I'd believe this even if I hadn't - can you really visualise a situation in which, if you were assessing unstable flora, you'd only find then within a certain area of a park?
That simply would not, and does not happen.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
Having taken a look through some of the parks in the link, I have to say the state of most parks in Glasgow is absolutely shocking, they look like they've just been abandoned by the council. Vandalism, paths becoming totally overgrown with weeds, facilities not maintained and plants not taken care of. Only a handful of parks I would say get pass marks based on those photos.
Spot on. I would go as far as to say that Kelvingrove is the only one of the "city" parks that is very well maintained, and even it has some ropey bits (chicken wire fencing in places, anyone??).

Parts of Queens Park, Kings Park, Bellahouston, & Victoria Park are in a shocking state, and those are supposedly the better ones. It makes me pretty sad.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts