SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Anyone know what happened with the Streetlive digital advertising jobbies that are on Arygle St/Sauchiehall St and other locations around the city? They haven't worked for months now and are becoming and eye sore. I know the parent company Streetbroadcast went bust in March and was taken over by an investment company. But no-one seems to have switched them back on. Could the council remove them from the street?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The Glasgow ball water feature thingy that used to be next to the Radisson has been removed. The ground has been repaved. How much did that thing cost? Think it worked for about a week?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Bit of an odd question, but has anyone ever heard of any plans to regenerate the ampitheatre in Kelvingrove Park, between Kelvin Way and the River, just down from the university?

It always seemed such a waste to leave it in the state it was in.

I really liked that ball, even when it didn't work.
I would have liked it had it worked. It was just a redundant waste of space otherwise.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Random public realm question: have the ten crappy-looking cylindrical StreetLive advertising screens been removed from city centre streets yet? They worked - or flickered a lot, anyway - for about a year before the operator went into administration and they were thankfully turned off.

They haven't been removed yet. I wrote an email to the city centre manager late last year asking about these amongst other things. The good news is at least the Argyle St one should be gone pretty soon when the improvements start. Here's what i sent and the reply I got;

5) Re the possible Streetlive pole outside the Orange shop. I'm pretty sure that is what it was placed there for, from planning apps at the time. I don't think the unit was installed because the company went into adminstration. Regardless of who owns it, it has been there for probably over 2 years now so hopefully it can be removed because it does detract from the streetscape and looks quite messy.

Yes you’re correct – it was the original site proposed for the street broadcast unit. I hope to have it removed as part of the Argyle St project, along with the actual unit at 50 Argyle St. Should be Spring/Summer next year when the works start.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Erm why the hell didn't Glasgow get one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bigscreens/locations/
I have an answer to this one too from my email to the city centre manager, seems like "the BBC pulled back from the idea". Any emails I've sent the BBC on the subject have said they have no plans for a Glasgow screen, and won't elaborate any further. It's a shame as it would have looked great in St Enoch and been a focal point for the square. As an aside I've found Jane Harrison to be great at answering any questions I have about the city centre and she seem's open to listening to suggestions.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
‘Disastrous broken teeth’ streets force city shoppers away

Finally somebody's taking notice of the condition of our streets. Have to agree that Byres Rd is particularly bad. And the top end of Sauchiehall Street is shocking, the pavements have crumbled and the council don't repair them. Would have thought Byres Rd would have been upgraded a long time ago with similar granite materials to the city centre.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/disastrous_broken_teeth_streets_force_city_shoppers_away_1_1939221

By Alastair Dalton
Published on Monday 31 October 2011 12:23

SCOTLAND’S city streets are a “disaster”, driving shoppers to out-of-town malls, according to one of the country’s most influential transport academics.

Professor Iain Docherty, of Glasgow University, said many main streets should be transformed from traffic-choked alleys plagued by cracked pavements into attractive places to walk, eat and shop.

One leading urban designer described them as looking “like a mouthful of broken teeth”.

Prof Docherty, a former non-executive director of the Scottish Government’s Transport Scotland agency, said prestigious areas such as Byres Road in Glasgow, George Street in Edinburgh and Aberdeen’s Union Street, are not environments where people want to be.

The professor of public policy and governance said: “Byres Road should be a showcase, being close to Glasgow University in the prosperous west end.

“But there is no maintenance of the pavements, road surfaces, building fronts or road signs. We do not use quality materials. The pavements are cracked because we use cheap, nasty concrete.

“Bollards have been bashed, there are overflowing bins, and roadworks barriers abandoned beside lamp posts. There is to be a £300 million upgrade of the Glasgow Subway [which has a station on the street], but when you walk out on to Byres Road it’s a disaster.”

Prof Docherty added that even the facade of the street’s branch of Waitrose has badly peeling paint: “Nothing here tells me this is well kept and maintained.”

He cites the traffic-free section of Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow city centre as another poor area for its broken paving – in stark contrast to nearby Buchanan Street, which he hails as “very good” because of its higher-quality materials and maintenance.

He also criticises George Street in Edinburgh for being car-dominated. He said: “It was the centrepiece of the original New Town plan and has fabulous architecture and smart shops, so why is it not more like [traffic-free] Buchanan Street? There should be more space for people, less space for vehicles, with parking removed.

“Pedestrians are an afterthought. They are shoehorned into pavements on the side of the road for vehicles when it should be the other way round.”

Brian Evans, a partner at urban designers Gillespies, which was responsible for the refurbishment of Buchanan Street and St Andrew Square in Edinburgh, said the public does not appear to be concerned about the poor state of streets. Improvements are not made as it is felt a complete transformation is the only solution, he said, adding: “We fall between stools with streets that look like a mouthful of broken teeth by doing nothing.”

Glasgow Chamber of Commerce chief executive Stuart Patrick said: “Professor Docherty is bang on with his comments.

“A focus of our recent city centre conference was how we could make the heart of Glasgow an exciting experience which draws visitors, encourages investors and puts us firmly on the world map as a destination city.”

A Glasgow City Council spokesman said: “We have to acknowledge that Glasgow has more than 35,000km [21,700 miles] of streets and only finite resources for investment.”

A Waitrose spokesman said: “We are obtaining costs to bring the exterior back up to our expected standard.”

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Always bothers me why Glasgow has no water features in the city centre. Manchester has a few good ones and in the right place ie St Enoch Sq it would look great. Saw this when browsing.. yeah it's a bit kitsch but something like this would look great at the bottom of St Enoch Sq.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
My old memory might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure when the public realm works were carried out in the main shopping areas of Sauchiehall/Buchanan/St Enoch about ten years ago, it was mooted that the old bus turning circle in St Enoch Square be turned into a water feature of some sort...
Yeah I seem to remember that too. Last time I spoke to the city centre manager she said it was a designated events space though, so looks like it's not going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
On the subject of water features, does anyone know what the story was with that black stone sphere that was installed outside the Radisson?

I seem to remember it was adorned with the Glasgow motifs (tree, bird, fish and bell) and sat in a shallow pool of water which was supposed to make it "spinnable" by passing members of the public, but it was usually fenced off and ended up being removed entirely.

Here it is in an old GSV image: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Glasgow&hl=en&ll=55.858304,-4.259713&spn=0.003077,0.010568&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.547176,86.572266&vpsrc=6&hnear=Glasgow,+Glasgow+City,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=55.858426,-4.259672&panoid=rKCQlER7PVkPYPPbnhoxtg&cbp=12,322.96,,0,2.85
Yeah I don't think it worked properly which is a mystery because I've seen similar designs in other places and they seem to work fine. Eventually it was removed after being turn off for ages and left to rot... I hope GCC got a refund for it!

On the subject of refunds will we get the £300,000 back for the lighting scheme under the Kingston Bridge? It broke within a couple of months of being installed and has never been repaired.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
There was a dispute between the council and the Radisson management and the Radisson refused to allow the council to pump water from them anymore. After the water stopped being pumped from the Radisson, the council decided it was pointless to keep and uprooted it.
That explains it then. Could the council not pump the water from the street? Seems like and odd arrangement to me.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Network Rail painting their bridges! Cant see it happening!

This is another bit of the city that does ma box in-the area around Charlotte street,before going into Glasgow green! What a strammash!
This looks good, I was hopeing that some of the less attractive parts of the city would be given a lick of paint before the games. Would be good to see some visuals of other areas they are going to do.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I've noticed the granite paving around the city centre is being maintained a lot better recently, with Sauchiehall St in particular having a lot of the cracked slabs replaced recently. Looks really good. Hopefully GCC will keep up the maintenance and not let it go backwards again after the CWG!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The public realm on Buchanan Street has taken a dive recently. Black tarmac infill, loose paving stones, missing/broken seats, wrecked bollards. Not what's expected of our showcase street. Come on GCC, get the finger out and get some maintenance done!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts