SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm pretty certain it's dry for the very same reason that was mentioned for the Doulton fountain as to why it should be dry. The possibility of cold weather freezing up the pipes and causing damage, this fountain was refurbished recently and was in use when I last passed it in October and functioning perfectly well. Wouldn't say neglected in the slightest...
I pass it quite frequently, and it's been about October since I last saw it working...but fair point, I hope you are right!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Oh dear, I'm so sorry you don't like the fact that I'm not GCC's biggest fan! Sure, I'm critical, but as I think I've made the case, I have every right to be.

I think it's funny that I'm attacked for being negative, but when I try to be positive I'm attacked for that as well. I guess I'm just not welcome. Well, I've had enough. Y'all have fun.
come on Calum, don't flounce, you're loved here!

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm going to play devils advocate.

I don't mind the steps going. Why? Because we should never have made them an icon in the first place. They are only steps, usually filled with litter and bird poo. The only reason we have iconised them is because the city haven't given a damn about public spaces in the city, so we use what we have. George Square is still a joke. As much as I like the Buchanan Quarter having that space as a public area would have been amazing. Instead we all want density, with no brownfield sites. We have no places to simply SIT in the city. Edinburgh does. Manchester and Birmingham does. When the city grew and changed, none were created in the City Centre. But we can make them now, if we just spent the money to buy a rundown city block and clear it for public space.
Precisely. But folk have made the steps their place to sit- the sedentary equivalent of desire lines...even unto the fascist front of the GRCH (which I've grown to like)- they belong to the people of Glasgow. Public realm that actually works, even if by accident. So what will they do? Trash it. Ditto Broomielaw. Gap sites that could be 'greened' and sat upon litter the city- how about the Wilson Street/Candleriggs junction?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts