321 - 340 of 4094 Posts

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
ET

£600,000 bid to help transform Argyle Street​

8 Jun 2010

A posh market and a continental-style cafe are among the plans for a £600,000 revamp of Argyle Street.

And a ‘vertical garden’ that carpets a building’s facia with greenery in a trend popular in Paris could help in the planned transformation.

It is the second phase of Glasgow City Council’s Style Mile initiative, which aims to ensure the city retains its title as The Best Place To Shop Outside London.

New lighting and a clean-up of rundown buildings will also be part of the scheme to attract more shoppers and new retailers.

Glasgow City Council leader Gordon Matheson said: “Although very much part of our principal shopping area, Argyle Street has sometimes been seen as a poor relation to Buchanan Street in terms of building style and street design.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Reference: 10/01442/DC Community Cnl: Anderston
Address: Proposed Footbridge Between Waterloo Street And Argyle Street Glasgow
Proposal: Refurbishment of existing footbridge, extending footbridge to Waterloo Street, landscaping
and other works as part of pedestrian/cycle route to City Centre
Date Received: 11.06.2010 Date Valid: 11.06.2010
Applicant
Details:
Glasgow City Council
Agent Details:
Ward: Anderston/City Representation Expiry Date: 21.07.2010
Type: Full Planning Permission Level: Local Development
Case Officer: Mr I Mason, 0141 287 6019
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 258080 (N) 665391

Sustrans Connect 2

Glasgow, Bridge to Nowhere

Map

This scheme connects the current half-finished bridge over the M8 with a second over the Clydeside Expressway to form the hub of three routes which will transform walking and cycling in central Glasgow. The second will be a garden link from Kelvingrove Park via Elderslie Street and Argyle Street, whilst the third will rearrange Waterloo Street to allow two-way cycling along this largely level road to reach the existing very high quality cycling provision at Glasgow Central. This project will go a long way to overcoming the barrier formed by the M8 which cuts through Glasgow and will not only provide a link to the riverside but also a link between the riverside promenades and the magnificent Kelvin Grove Park.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As for a a bench mark in todays contemporary architecture scene; I shall provide (what i think) should be shortlisted for this years Stirling Prize. I realise that its probably a bit short sighted as i am counting out Zaha's Maxi in Rome but hey, thats just me. You can all have a laugh when i get 0/6!

Anyway. In No particular order.

Terry Pawson Architects - Centre for Contemporary Art, Carlow
David Chipperfiled - Neues Museum, Berlin
Caruso St John - Nottingham Contemporary
Haworth Tompkins - Aldeburgh Music Creative Campus
Rick Mather Architects - Ashmolean Museum - Oxford
DSDHA - Christ's College School
http://www.archdaily.com/
I just realised that the short list is announced later today. Fingers crossed, Although i cant help but think they will give it to Zaha this year. She's been knocking on the door for ages.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 · (Edited)
Promoting the Development of Stalled Space or Other Unused Space (13 pages)

Promoting the Development of Stalled Spaces or Other Unused Land​

Purpose of Report:
This report seeks to inform the Committee of the issues relating to stalled spaces or unused land
within Glasgow. It recommends policy and procedural changes designed to more effectively
facilitate temporary greening, or use, of land in both public and private ownership.
Recommendation:
It is recommended that Committee notes the approach to encourage the development of
temporary solutions.

1. BACKGROUND
1.1 The demand for access to stalled spaces and unused land is the result of a range of
competing issues being faced by the Council. These include;
1. Vacant and Derelict Land – rising in extent again following several years of
contraction.
2. Sites with planning permission but awaiting implementation.
3. Unmet demand for allotments across the City - Glasgow has 14 Council owned
allotments offering 676 plots and 10 privately owned sites offering 647 plots, a total of
1323 plots. Two years ago, the waiting list for allotments accounted for over 50% of
all plots.
4. The impact of the economic downturn – apart from the points above it is also affecting
the appearance and attractiveness of the city to visitors and potential investors.
5. Preparation/presentation of the City re the Commonwealth Games in 2014
6. Temporary greening regularly undertaken by the Council – usually associated with
housing clearances in new neighbourhoods or other redevelopment initiatives.
7. Pressure to undertake temporary greening initiatives on Council owned land and
facilitate it on other land. Recent examples include:

�� Shettleston Community Growing Project,
�� Community Garden, Westmorland St, Govanhill,
�� Botany Project, Maryhill.
�� Glasgow City Centre, Style Mile – in progress.

1.2 At its Meeting of 30 October 2008 the Council approved a motion recognising the
impact of the economic downturn on its development ambitions and stating that, “the
Council therefore resolves to work with site and property owners to temporarily
landscape vacant sites to create simple, but well maintained grassed areas open to
the public,” (see Appendix A).

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
1d - Proposed footbridge between Waterloo St & Argyle Stt.doc

APPLICATION 10/01442/DC DATE VALID 11.06.2010

SITE ADDRESS Proposed Footbridge Between Waterloo Street And Argyle Street Glasgow

PROPOSAL Refurbishment of existing footbridge, extending footbridge to Waterloo Street,
landscaping and other works as part of pedestrian/cycle route to City Centre

APPLICANT Glasgow City Council
Per Douglas Trail
Land And Environmental
Services
231 George Street
GLASGOW
G1 1RX

SITE AND DESCRIPTION

The application site comprises an unfinished footbridge, an area of land adjacent to the western end of the
bridge (Argyle Street), part of the car park of the Marriot Hotel and some land to the rear of the car park
operated by City Parking and adjacent to the Waterloo Street on ramp to the Kingston Bridge. The footbridge
was constructed in the early 1970s as part of the Comprehensive Redevelopment of Anderston (CDA)
proposals and the M8 motorway Kingston Bridge works. The footbridge was supposed to connect to a later
phase of the Anderston Centre, however, this was never constructed and the footbridge terminated in mid air
approximately 5 metres above what is now the car park of the Marriot. The majority of the bridge is
approximately 4.5 metres wide, though the helical ramp narrows approximately 3 metres wide between the
parapets.
The applicant proposes to finish this footbridge by extending it at its eastern end and connecting it to Waterloo
Street. The works required would be to form a new section of the bridge approximately 100 metres in length
supported on 4 pillars and a 50 metre section supported on concrete infill to connect the existing section to
Waterloo Street. The majority of this will be the same width as the existing bridge though this will narrow to 3.5
metres wide at Waterloo Street. At the Argyle Street end an earth embankment would connect the existing
helical ramp to street level. The existing section of the bridge would be refurbished with the cope and parapet
upgraded/repaired as necessary. The area of landscaping at the foot of the helical ramp will be retained and
amended to take into account the new ramp. These works are all in relation to the provision of the Connect 2
project which was approved by council. Connect 2 is the cycle walking route which will connect the city centre
to the west end and the Clydeside National Cycle Network Route 75.

·
Jacobsian sentimentalist
1,725 Posts
Excellent news Mo. Thanks for posting. A further bit of connectivity between the city centre and the west end across the M8 and as part of a dedicated cycle and pedestrian route. Every little helps. Are there images available of what the new bridge section and the refurbished bridge + landscaping works will look like?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Whilst turning this bridge into a cycleway is welcome, it'll be interesting to see what's set up at the Waterloo Street end, in terms of provision for eastbound cyclists. Unfortunately, the city-bound cyclist is being plonked straight into a very cycle-unfriendly environment. Waterloo Street is one-way westbound onto the Kingston Bridge, or you could always go down the ramp to the hotel service areas. Going south from Waterloo Street is actually a bit tricky, as Douglas Street is one-way northbound.

Without using pavements or cycling against traffic (more scary contraflow cycle lanes?), the only way you can really go is up Pitt Street to Bothwell Street (which of course then has the cyclist cutting across the traffic flow from the Bothwell off-ramp).

Will that dead footbridge over Waterloo Street be utilised somehow?

·
Jacobsian sentimentalist
1,725 Posts
The pedestrian bridge over Waterloo Street is meant to be being demolished as part of the Bothwell Plaza scheme. Currently the stair and ramp for this completely blocks off the point at which the new section of bridge would connect to the Waterloo Street footpath. It’s also unsightly and hardly anyone used it. It’s better to keep pedestrian traffic at ground level anyway as that at least reminds car users to watch their speed. That said I can see your point. I seem to recall that this was part of a larger dedicated cycle route between Kelvingrove and Central Station and that part of Waterloo Street was to be demarked as a separate two way cycle lane. I don't know if that is of any assistance to you...

·
Registered
256 Posts
The pedestrian bridge over Waterloo Street is meant to be being demolished as part of the Bothwell Plaza scheme. Currently the stair and ramp for this completely blocks off the point at which the new section of bridge would connect to the Waterloo Street footpath. It’s also unsightly and hardly anyone used it. It’s better to keep pedestrian traffic at ground level anyway as that at least reminds car users to watch their speed. That said I can see your point. I seem to recall that this was part of a larger dedicated cycle route between Kelvingrove and Central Station and that part of Waterloo Street was to be demarked as a separate two way cycle lane. I don't know if that is of any assistance to you...
Thanks!

Another aspect which makes the thing awkward is the bus stops on Waterloo Street. They're often busy, being the last stops for many buses hitting the motorway westbound. And in the middle of office-ville too. A 2-way cycle lane on Waterloo Street is going to be difficult to fit in with that.

Here's me, a cycle commuter pointing out all the difficulties with a new bike route! I should be more positive, eh? :)

·
Jacobsian sentimentalist
1,725 Posts
You’re right to do so! Glasgow needs to become more cycle friendly. Ok we do have drumlins to contend with but a large part of the city is reasonably level or on flood plain / raised beaches. We need a decent cycle network where people do not feel threatened by cars and this particular route is meant to be a key part in that. When we start seeing mothers and children cycling together on Glasgow streets and not just fully kitted out uber cyclists (no criticism intended!) then we’ll know initiatives such as this are working. I’d love to cycle in from the Southside but Pollokshaws Road and Eglinton Street put me right off. I tried Great Western Road quite a few times when I lived in the West End and wasn’t much keen on that either and if anything the Pollokshaws Road / Eglinton street corridor is worse. I thought there were going to be improvements to cycle links in the Southside as part of the M74 extension works but if anything they are actually re-engineering the roads into even bigger car sewers than they previously were.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Interesting to see how cyclists have responded to the notion of this footbridge being completed...we all perceive things differently.

I view the entire inner city ringroad as an unmitigated disaster. I would like to see, as an initial step towards the closing of this open sore, that the footbridges are REMOVED, not extended. They contribute to the dystopian nature of the scene. They are of the same design/materials as the footbridges in Cumbernauld, where they now look dated but appropriate...but they can NEVER be an appropriate part of a city centre streetscape.

Get rid of the footbridges, remove some of the slip roads, cover over the motorway between Sauchiehall St and St Vincent St.

·
Hipster Scum
5,918 Posts
The footbridge will help reconnect Anderston with the city centre. I'd rather see it completed than remain in its current state.

I'd love for that part for that part of the motorway to be covered over, though I'm not sure how financially viable it would be.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, financial viability is virtually non-existent. It would have to be done for purely aesthetic reasons.

The footbridge is an eyesore...if it were removed it would be one bit less of ugly seventies concrete. The good people of Anderston can walk/cycle to the city centre along Argyll St or St Vincent's St...at street level...just the way they do in every other city in the world.

As said before, Anderston is not Cumbernauld in an early 60s architect's wetdream. It could be a desirable outer city centre suburb, if some of the concrete was removed.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Reference: 10/02653/DC Community Cnl: Merchant City

Address: Street Cafe And Kiosk In Argyle Street Glasgow

Proposal: Use of pavement as licensed café and erection of associated café kiosks with external
seating areas and public realm improvements.

Date Received: 29.10.2010 Date Valid: 29.10.2010

Applicant Details:
Glasgow City Council

Agent Details:
Collective Architecture
Top Floor Mercat Building 26 Gallowgate

Ward: Anderston/City Representation Expiry Date: 30.11.2010

Type: Full Planning Permission Level: Local Development

Case Officer: Mr M Thomson, 0141 287 6031

Listing: Cons Area: Central Area
Map Reference: (E) 259191 (N) 665019

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Reference: 10/02747/DC Community Cnl: Trongate (Inactive)

Address: 75 St Enoch Square Glasgow G1 4BW

Proposal: Use of public footway as external seating area.

Date Received: 09.11.2010 Date Valid: 25.11.2010

Applicant Details:
Nero Holdings Ltd
Agent Details: 0141 221 7300

Ward: Anderston/City Representation

Expiry Date: 27.12.2010

Type: Full Planning Permission

Level: Local Development

Case Officer: Mr D Russell, 0141 287 6034

Listing: A Cons Area: Central Area

Map Reference: (E) 258936 (N) 665004

·
Hipster Scum
5,918 Posts
Misleading title!

Glasgow to get trams in Argyle Street revamp

FOR centuries it has been one of Glasgow's great streets, alive to the bustle of shoppers, but in recent years its bright light has dimmed. Now Argyle Street is to be revamped through café culture.
An ambitious new plan to erect a café and a series of shops that will run through the centre of the pedestrianised street in the style of the trams of the past has been granted planning permission by Glasgow City Council.

The two-storey street café as well as seven other market kiosks are set to become a new focus for a street that is perceived as in decline and populated with too many bargain stores. The new look is expected to link the street closer to the city's rebranded 'Style Mile', an area of popular shopping streets around nearby Buchanan Street.

The project will involve replacing old street lighting with brighter winter lights, removing a public toilet and redundant phone boxes and erecting a café with roof terrace and pavement dining facilities.

The design is inspired by the old trams that once travelled along the street. The application for the revamp of the pedestrian section of Argyle Street was unanimously passed by the planning applications committee at Glasgow City Council yesterday. The aim of the revamp is to create a better connection with Buchanan Street.

Glasgow city council leader Gordon Matheson, whose ward takes in Argyle Street, said: "This is an important milestone in the ongoing regeneration of Glasgow's city centre. This project will not only see the physical regeneration of this section of Argyle Street but will help to improve the experience of those people living, working, visiting or shopping in this part of Glasgow.

"The revamp will ensure we continue to cultivate an attitude and look that meets our aspirations for the continual growth of Glasgow's shopping heart by creating a fantastic experience for tourists to visit and locals to enjoy."

In recent years the Argyle Street retailers' Association has complained about a series of issues it believes have contributed to the perception of decline in the street such as lack of winter lighting, poor street lighting and too many pound shops.

The new project was supported by Stuart Patrick, chief executive of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce who said: "This latest investment in Glasgow's Style Mile is most welcome given the performance of the city centre is such an absolutely essential component of Glasgow's economic recovery.

"Tremendous strides have been made in regenerating the city centre and establishing Glasgow as one of Europe's must-visit shopping cities.
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Glasgow-to-get-trams-in.6653335.jp

It'll either look great, or tremendously tacky.

For Argyle Street to be truly restored we need to get rid of the low rise crap around the Argyle Station, it is a blight on an otherwise fine street.

·
Steel guitar in my soul.
1,608 Posts
It sounds like a great idea - and as an added bonus, the cafe and kiosks should consign to the scrapheap the tacky amusement rides (and surrounding wire mesh fencing) that regularly infest the middle of Argyle Street.

As for the Scotsman headline, knowing their typical disdain for anything outside Edinburgh's boundaries they probably meant to write "Glasgow to get tramps in Argyle Street revamp".

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Plans for the new look Argyle Street get approval​

Glasgow City Council website (7th December 2010)​

The application for the revamp of the pedestrian section of Argyle Street was unanimously passed by the planning applications committee at Glasgow City Council.

Soon Glaswegians will be able to sit and enjoy a coffee and chat on Argyle Street as it gets the Style Mile makeover.

The aim of the revamp is to create a better connection between Argyle Street and Buchanan Street’s busy shopping areas by establishing a street café and market opportunities along with public seating areas, street furniture, as well as, new street and feature lighting.

Councillor Gordon Matheson, the Leader of Glasgow City Council and whose ward takes in Argyle Street, said: “This is an important milestone in the ongoing regeneration of Glasgow’s city centre.

“This project will not only see the physical regeneration of this section of Argyle Street but will help to improve the experience of those people living, working, visiting or shopping in this part of Glasgow.

“The revamp will ensure we continue to cultivate an attitude and look that meets our aspirations for the continual growth of Glasgow’s shopping heart by creating a fantastic experience for tourists to visit and locals to enjoy..”

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 · (Edited)
ITEM 1(a) (13 pages)

7 December 2010

SITE AND DESCRIPTION
The application site comprises the pedestrianised section of Argyle Street between Queen Street and Glassford
Street and is located in the heart of the city centre. This section of Argyle Street is one of Glasgow’s busiest and
most important shopping streets and forms part of the Style Mile. The site is located within the Central
Conservation Area and is bounded to the north by two ‘B’ listed buildings at 18 and 50 Argyle Street and to the
south by ‘A’ listed Buck’s Head building and the ‘B’ listed Debenhams building on Argyle Street.
The project has been conceived as part of the rebranding of the central retail district as the ‘Style Mile’, which
takes in retailers and businesses surrounding Glasgow’s retail core of Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street and
Argyle Street. The Style Mile was launched in August 2009 and benefited from a £300K capital budget in
2009/10. Buchanan Street was the main beneficiary of this and it is now evident that Argyle Street retail has not
experienced the same success as Buchanan Street despite comparable rateable values. It has a greater
proportion of discount outlets and lower to mid-range retailers. The existing street furniture is tired, lighting is
inadequate, and there is a general sense of decline. There is no distinct identity to Argyle Street and it has no
unique selling point or specific feature that would particularly justify its inclusion in the Style Mile and by
extension, as part of the top UK retail destination outside London’s West End.
There is now an active Argyle Street retailers’ association which has been vocal about the many issues
contributing to the perception of decline. Complaints are directed at the lack of winter lighting, the very poor
street lighting, the number of pound shops and vacant units, haphazard environmental services, poor quality
street furniture and bins, and the Council’s policy of approving permits for perceived low quality operators (for
example the fairground rides and the German Market) and the plethora of unapproved pedlars over the
Christmas period).
While the redevelopment of St Enoch Centre is expected to give a much needed boost to the immediate area, it
is accepted that some additional public sector support is required. The development of this project has
therefore focused on finding an integrated response to these issues.
It has been identified that Argyle Street lacks a street-facing food and drink offer which could add value to the
existing retail offer, as well as enabling the development of a pavement café area if allied to a new street
furniture layout. In late 2009, Glasgow City Council appointed an external consultant – NABMA Consultancy
Services - to provide expert advice on the provision of a small specialist market on Argyle Street and produce
an options appraisal report on the way forward. The outcome of this was a series of recommendations in favour
of a speciality market, anchored around a continental café. This has developed into an integrated scheme with
the café at its hub... Continues (13 pages)

GCC

321 - 340 of 4094 Posts