SkyscraperCity Forum banner
3781 - 3800 of 4090 Posts

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
If kelvin way is to be kept traffic free permanently then i hope there is a bit of money available at some point to stop it looking so much like the road it was. You still see people instinctively walking along the pavements because, well, there are pavements. And lines down the middle of the road. And parking spaces painted along the sides. And speed limit signs. And parking ticket machines...

Also, can i just repeat my suggestion that it would be an amazing space for a regular street food/farmers market type thing at weekends when the uni and primary school aren't generating so much foot traffic

·
Registered
331 Posts
If kelvin way is to be kept traffic free permanently then i hope there is a bit of money available at some point to stop it looking so much like the road it was. You still see people instinctively walking along the pavements because, well, there are pavements. And lines down the middle of the road. And parking spaces painted along the sides. And speed limit signs. And parking ticket machines...

Also, can i just repeat my suggestion that it would be an amazing space for a regular street food/farmers market type thing at weekends when the uni and primary school aren't generating so much foot traffic

View attachment 2035961

Just remove the white lines.

Job done.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Remove the white lines and sort out the pavements where the tree roots are coming through.

Cut back (very slightly) the trees so the street lighting can cover more of the area, with no dark spots.

Job done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kelvin way would be a great weekend farmers market location.the weeks running up to Christmas could see it transformed into a Christmas market , artist stalls food warm cider etc , the old putting green at a temporary ice rink and the band stand could host local school choirs during the day ,local musical artists at night and Christmas movies at the weekend . Bring some real vibrant energy to the dark winter months . Also any monies made from this could be put to use within the park for repairs, flowerbeds etc .

·
Registered
331 Posts
Remove the white lines and the pavements, if there is no traffic, the pavements serve no purpose, open it out, with a clearly marked cycle path, job done :)
I kinda like the idea that the roadway and pavements remain, as a reminder of what was there before and of how much better it is without the traffic.
Not trying to be a contrarian. There's something quite nice about the look it has now. In most cases (if it was a more urban setting probably) I'd agree with the idea for new paving/surfacing. At Kelvin Way, it feels like it would be overkill to me.

·
User
18,899 Posts
That stretch of buildings must be saved at all costs.

Modern developments can never support small businesses in the same way that older building stock can. Which is partly why the surrounding area is so lifeless.
This is clearly true tho im still not sure why!🤔 some of these new build retail units sit empty for years, you'd think they'd lower the rents a little

·
Hipster Scum
5,906 Posts
This is clearly true tho im still not sure why!🤔
I think the rent on commercial space in new buildings tends to be too expensive for small businesses to be viable.

So you tend to see the Cafe Neros and Tesco Metros going in instead - if we’re lucky. A lot of the time they just lie empty.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
the property market is broken in so many ways. Rent shouldn't be set at an arbitrary level that results in something lying empty and generating no income at all. In any functioning market that even approximately followed the laws of supply and demand it should fall until the demand was there to meet the supply.

i can only guess it's some weird accounting thing? They'd rather have something on their books they can claim is worth x (oh the rent is y pounds a month!) that is empty and isn't bringing any money in, instead of dropping the rent to bring in what income they can but then having to admit the overall valuation of the place was inflated as it was based on a multiple of the rent it could generate (which turned out to be lower than originally used in the calculations) . Especially if they've borrowed money against the property and are really keen to avoid any downgrade in its value

3781 - 3800 of 4090 Posts