Skyscraper City Forum banner
3841 - 3860 of 3959 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
So what can be done to reduce littering.
On the spot £100 pound fines that need to be paid within 2 weeks. If they are not paid it goes as a default on your credit rating. If you can't pay you can do 10 hours community service picking up litter in a jump suit. If you don't turn up it is an automatic 6 month prison sentence and upon release you need to pay for your stay at £100 a day. If you are on benefits it is docked at source. Your photo and name is put on a gigantic wall of shame and can only be removed after these conditions are met.

·
Registered
60 Posts
On the spot £100 pound fines that need to be paid within 2 weeks. If they are not paid it goes as a default on your credit rating. If you can't pay you can do 10 hours community service picking up litter in a jump suit. If you don't turn up it is an automatic 6 month prison sentence and upon release you need to pay for your stay at £100 a day. If you are on benefits it is docked at source. Your photo and name is put on a gigantic wall of shame and can only be removed after these conditions are met.
And if the conditions aren't met, your name gets inscribed on a plaque that cannot be removed. Not even by a nuclear fallout.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Makes the blood boil. The theory that it’s contractors who are happy to do a poor job so the council will pay them again in 2 years makes sense: it’s like being beholden to the mafia

·
Registered
242 Posts
Makes the blood boil. The theory that it’s contractors who are happy to do a poor job so the council will pay them again in 2 years makes sense: it’s like being beholden to the mafia
As commented in the tweet below that one. There's 3 different types of paving in that small bit of street.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Ooh a Cantona,I said ooh a Cantona!
Council trying to make Glezgah look a bit nicer before the Wurld invades for the summit!

·
Registered
152 Posts

Don't have a problem with proper graffiti art done in places like underpasses or under the Kingston Bridge. It's pointless crap like this that rips ma knittin !!

·
Registered
265 Posts

Don't have a problem with proper graffiti art done in places like underpasses or under the Kingston Bridge. It's pointless crap like this that rips ma knittin !!
I reckon you can view that graffiti as an appropriate response to the public realm itself. Before spinning the google viewer thing around a fair bit, I had zero idea that was so close to the Cathedral.

Absolutely bogging public realm for the top end of our historic centre.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If there has been one benefit of COP, it has helped me view Glasgow from an outsider perspective for the first time in ages. And this has really made me re-question a lot of stuff that I've learned to just take for granted.

Bad public realm, poor transport integration, gap sites, urban experience.

I think others are the same. Hopefully we won't put up with sub-standard garbage any longer.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Perhaps people need to get more political or at least become engaged citizens. By holding politicians accountable, by speaking up about shoddy new developments, only then can we see proper change. But I think there's an awful lot of apathy in the city. If you live in an already nice area, you don't really care what other areas are like if you're not passing through them daily. If you live in an area that's been raised to the ground with little or no services for the people that are left there, you'll become so depressed that you don't think it's even worth talking about.

We need a can do attitude to get people together and get their voices heard. We need to force the council to listen and to act. I know I know - politics, priorities, money. But nothing will change if the people of this city just accept everything thrown at them.

Get informed. Get active.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Just to add to the above, my friend who has a lot of involvement with politicians in his job sent me this:

"The Community Empowerment Act enables a properly constituted community group (and community is defined quite broadly) to request participation in a public body's processes."

He said he's happy to share guidance with me that I could share here.

This group is already partly engaged, but just not talking to the right people. Maybe we could form the nucleus of such a community group.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If there has been one benefit of COP, it has helped me view Glasgow from an outsider perspective for the first time in ages. And this has really made me re-question a lot of stuff that I've learned to just take for granted.

Bad public realm, poor transport integration, gap sites, urban experience.

I think others are the same. Hopefully we won't put up with sub-standard garbage any longer.
Glasgow has mostly been like this for decades upon decades. People won't put up with it any longer though? If that is genuine then fine, but for a lot it seems politically motivated and they don't really care about the actual city at all. Edinburgh's public realm and cleanliness has also took a massive dive, Glasgow is not alone with the issues hampering the city at the moment.

Are people taking any consideration to the times we are living in? That there are massive building shortages of materials and workers(thanks brexit). More than 10 years of austerity still going, Sunak's budget actually heading more towards austerity than away from it(despite what some media might say). Glasgow has always had these issues(deserves far far better for sure), however there is no doubt all these events have taken a massive toll.

I don't think it helps matters that Glasgow is basically one big construction site at the moment, it makes it look even more untidy. Not that I'm complaining but it can make things appear that way.

To go back to the pic at Clyde Street, to me it looks like the paving was damaged cause workers are going up on the pavement and parking next to the construction site. Do trucks/vans mount the pavement sometimes too?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well that was worth getting nice new illuminated signage telling you it’s Queen Street Station!
Let’s just rename it Wetherspoon Square.

3841 - 3860 of 3959 Posts