Skyscraper City Forum banner
3861 - 3880 of 3922 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Also noticed this while in grumpy mood this morning. How is it ok to block almost the full width of the footpath with this diagonal advertising thing.
Because the council doesn't actually care about the citizens of Glasgow (maybe an exaggeration, but the council - in any configuration - has forever made decisions that negatively impact the citizens).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Glasgow has a serious 'that'll dae' problem and has for decades.

As I've said before in any other city, Byres Road would have been redone in the late 80's, then again in the 2000's. But not Glasgow. 'That'll dae'. Same with the Clyde at the Broomielaw. Other cities will have secured lottery funding twenty years ago. But not Glasgow. George Square. Not Glasgow.

But we have consultations every five years. So 'that'll dae'.

It's moving now, thankfully.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glasgow has a serious 'that'll dae' problem and has for decades.

As I've said before in any other city, Byres Road would have been redone in the late 80's, then again in the 2000's. But not Glasgow. 'That'll dae'. Same with the Clyde at the Broomielaw. Other cities will have secured lottery funding twenty years ago. But not Glasgow. George Square. Not Glasgow.

But we have consultations every five years. So 'that'll dae'.

It's moving now, thankfully.
I agree with the general frustrations but not sure that’s true about “any other city”. Most cities in the U.K. do public realm very, very badly. Years of neglect now compounded by a lack of imagination and ambition due in some part to the fact car is still king.

Also annoying to hear the weather given as excuse for poor public urban spaces when some of the best examples are found in countries with similar temperatures and rainfall to Scotland.

The reason I think the ongoing neglect seems worse in Glasgow compared to other U.K. cities is because the backdrop and transformative potential here is few any other can match.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Call me easy, but I’ve got my win from Cop already . All the lighting in the parking/landscaped area around the Art Galleries seem to be working also every light on Kelvin way has been fixed . Now if they could just get the lamps above the 4 statues on the bridge to work .......happy me . The statue of Earl Roberts at park circus was also lit up tonight . But the best part was the sadly temporary lighting rigs set up through the park it was so nice walking my dogs through there at 11pm tonight . That was until we met mr Fox.... 3 greyhounds and a Fox not a good combination. I dream of the day the park is able to be used after sunset and of the Prince of Wales bridge lighting being restored .

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
dunno where best for this so public realm will do

Central Glasgow from George Square to Hope Street and Cathedral to Argyle Street to be a car-free zone within 5 years

A new car free zone in Glasgow city centre has been announced by council leader Susan Aitken as part of a long-term strategy to 'give public spaces back to the people'.

The area will be created over the next five years and will stretch from George Square to Hope Street across Argyle Street and up to Cathedral Street.

3861 - 3880 of 3922 Posts